New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof Bunsen

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a new Muppet series too. But it needs to be fresh and new, perhaps with them going back to their roots in a way.

The 2015 series was more like a Muppets doing a mockumentary, ala The Office and P&R, which isn't bad, but it becomes formulaic to the audience. Now what I could've done as a screenwriter (which I want to do someday) is maybe let them do a mockumentary where they tour around the world or something, the hard way if you know what I mean. We would have Kermit proudly saying they will move like nomads to audiences all over the country, all over the WORLD: we will chase snails, leave trails, eat bloody pudding, drink the best sake, meditate their foamy souls with Brewster by the Ganges, dance with concubines in Araby, perform tribal dances at the foot of Kilimanjaro, and watch the aliens die on Koozebane, and then in a twist we would have Sam replying with "What the **** was that all about?", the same question Kermit asked in the Muppet Show Pitch Reel. Then Crazy Harry would literally blow up the enter theater and the Muppets would take the studio brick-by-brick with them, Miss Piggy would argue over what cosmetics to take with her, and the gang then takes off to places around the world, with every episode centering around them trying to perform their usual schtick (while bringing back the explosions and over-the-top violence), add new tricks, have Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem perform a live concert, and a plot which may involve the Muppets getting themselves in a jam (that could also be literal).

That's what I would do if I was at the helm of this new series. A more back-to-basics approach, while crossing over with something like Josie and the Pussycats and Globetrekker/Carmen Sandiego.

BarneyNedward

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to a new Muppet series too. But it needs to be fresh and new, perhaps with them going back to their roots in a way.

The 2015 series was more like a Muppets doing a mockumentary, ala The Office and P&R, which isn't bad, but it becomes formulaic to the audience. Now what I could've done as a screenwriter (which I want to do someday) is maybe let them do a mockumentary where they tour around the world or something, the hard way if you know what I mean. We would have Kermit proudly saying they will move like nomads to audiences all over the country, all over the WORLD: we will chase snails, leave trails, eat bloody pudding, drink the best sake, meditate their foamy souls with Brewster by the Ganges, dance with concubines in Araby, perform tribal dances at the foot of Kilimanjaro, and watch the aliens die on Koozebane, and then in a twist we would have Sam replying with "What the **** was that all about?", the same question Kermit asked in the Muppet Show Pitch Reel. Then Crazy Harry would literally blow up the enter theater and the Muppets would take the studio brick-by-brick with them, Miss Piggy would argue over what cosmetics to take with her, and the gang then takes off to places around the world, with every episode centering around them trying to perform their usual schtick (while bringing back the explosions and over-the-top violence), add new tricks, have Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem perform a live concert, and a plot which may involve the Muppets getting themselves in a jam (that could also be literal).

That's what I would do if I was at the helm of this new series. A more back-to-basics approach, while crossing over with something like Josie and the Pussycats and Globetrekker/Carmen Sandiego.

I'd like to see a muppet travelogue series where each episode has them visit a new place and show how they experience the local cultures.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
When may we see a teaser trailer for this? Disney plus debuts Fall 2019 do we know when the show debuts? And if this show does well in ratings or viewership will we possibly get a Muppets theatrical film again?

MWoO

Reaction score
First, the show still hasn't even been announced. The only news I am aware of was a web article that said we would probably see a show. Second, if there is a show it looks like Disney has decided to push the Muppets back into the public eye without it having to be connected to anything. Even when Kermit was on James Corban and Jimmy Falon he didn't plug his Winter of Oz gig. He was just there to be there, which is nice. Disney seems to be treating the Muppets like actual actors now and having them do stuff as if they were real, which is what they should have done all along. Fozzie is doing voice work for Disney, credited as Fozzie Bear in commercials. Kermit is acting in plays. They did live shows with the EM and the Muppets as if they were just a group of people.

Disney is doing a slow build up instead of what they did with The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted. Those projects saw a big push in media, and then nothing afterwards. Then another big push with media... and nothing afterwards. The more recent publicity just has them making appearances and putting them back in the public eye doing fun stuff instead of plugging a project and then going away.

Also, remember they are still getting audiences use to a new Kermit. Notice how slow Matts introduction as Kermit has been. The whole public relations nightmare that was Steve Whitmire fighting back, the Henson's taking some shots, Steve basically begging to get his job back making statements about being able to jump back into the role 2 weeks before the Hollywood Bowl show. That was a mess so we saw the Muppets cool it for a bit. Now things are settled and Disney is ready to get Matt's Kermit out there. Once they feel we are use to him (by we, I mean the general audience that doesn't know the ins and outs of the performers) we will see a new show or possibly movie.

I say that by the end of this year we will get an announcement of a new project for 2020.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
IIRC, Kermit said that there was exciting news coming this year, so I'm unsure what/when we will hear about that.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Curious to find out what the big announcement from Kermit could be.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
First, the show still hasn't even been announced. The only news I am aware of was a web article that said we would probably see a show. Second, if there is a show it looks like Disney has decided to push the Muppets back into the public eye without it having to be connected to anything. Even when Kermit was on James Corban and Jimmy Falon he didn't plug his Winter of Oz gig. He was just there to be there, which is nice. Disney seems to be treating the Muppets like actual actors now and having them do stuff as if they were real, which is what they should have done all along. Fozzie is doing voice work for Disney, credited as Fozzie Bear in commercials. Kermit is acting in plays. They did live shows with the EM and the Muppets as if they were just a group of people.

Disney is doing a slow build up instead of what they did with The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted. Those projects saw a big push in media, and then nothing afterwards. Then another big push with media... and nothing afterwards. The more recent publicity just has them making appearances and putting them back in the public eye doing fun stuff instead of plugging a project and then going away.

Also, remember they are still getting audiences use to a new Kermit. Notice how slow Matts introduction as Kermit has been. The whole public relations nightmare that was Steve Whitmire fighting back, the Henson's taking some shots, Steve basically begging to get his job back making statements about being able to jump back into the role 2 weeks before the Hollywood Bowl show. That was a mess so we saw the Muppets cool it for a bit. Now things are settled and Disney is ready to get Matt's Kermit out there. Once they feel we are use to him (by we, I mean the general audience that doesn't know the ins and outs of the performers) we will see a new show or possibly movie.

I say that by the end of this year we will get an announcement of a new project for 2020.
if the show wasn't announced then why was this thread started with the title, "New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service"
if it hasn't been announced for all we know were getting a theatrical movie maybe?

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score

This was from the first post of this thread,
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-planning-muppets-reboot-streaming-service-1086800

The Hollywood Reporter is a very accurate Hollywood trade paper trust me I am a star wars fan who follows spoilers and production Hollywood Reporter and Deadline are spot on just look at the Rogue One reshoots the trade papers nailed that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.