Classic Sesame shows removed from HBO

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I was checking HBO Go and found that five of their "Sesame Street Classics" episodes are no longer listed. I don't see episodes #1576, #3136, #3171, #3502, and #3611 anywhere. I guess they took them off at the beginning of the year, and I'm not sure why they wouldn't just be renewed like the other shows. It's weird because I was just watching two of those shows a few weeks ago.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I guess maybe it could be due to low ratings of the classic episodes, or just refuse to renew them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Did you check to see if maybe they added additional classic episodes as replacements?

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Did you check to see if maybe they added additional classic episodes as replacements?
They weren't replaced at all, although the fan/optimist in me wants to think there could be other plans for release (but maybe not).

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Could be just that the rights simply expired and that it wasn’t renewed.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It does seem weird that, in regards to the episodes they can air, their rights for some episodes would expire while others wouldn't. Maybe certain clearances expired faster (which seems slightly less weird than what I'm thinking seems weird here), HBO probably paid for a certain number of classic reruns (and that wording doesn't sound right), but I'd think they would have the same rerun deal for all classic episodes on HBO.

Of course I've heard that RDF only has the rights to certain episodes of The Jimmy Dean Show due to clearance issues.

ssetta

Reaction score
This is weird. And episode 1576 is actually scheduled to air on HBO Family on February 17.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Maybe it was a rights thing. They can air it still, but not stream it.

Wish I knew why all the Joe Raposo tracks were cut though. The deal seemed rather hasty so they might not have been able to negotiate in time.