Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

MWoO

Reaction score

Well this is just hilarious. Democrats running for 2020 have to apologize for their past positions because the democratic party changes what it stands for more frequently than Scooter changed performers in the 2000's.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Finally, protests are cropping up against Trump's shut down.

I said it before, but I'll say it again: the GOP is the party that preaches "you don't work, you don't get paid," so they shouldn't be the ones preaching "you have to work, but you won't get paid, but it's okay, you'll be fine."

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Finally, protests are cropping up against Trump's shut down.

I said it before, but I'll say it again: the GOP is the party that preaches "you don't work, you don't get paid," so they shouldn't be the ones preaching "you have to work, but you won't get paid, but it's okay, you'll be fine."
You'd be interested to know that last week the House of Representatives voted to circumvent the government shutdown and pay gov't employees but it was voted down. The vote tally? The yeas: 189 Republicans, 6 Democrats. The nays: 222 Democrats, 0 Republicans.

https://strongamericanews.com/crens...V2gzlYEY6CTl3_i7sGh5OEjk84D-BxoFy88hl5B5aEqDA

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll043.xml

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair, I think Democrats want to end the shut down completely, rather than dance around it like some Republicans want to.

And I said "some," because as I understand, and I don't have any sources at the moment, there's been at least three different attempts by Republicans to end the shut down, but Trump reportedly rejected each of them because he still wouldn't get his wall.

MWoO

Reaction score
To be fair, I think Democrats want to end the shut down completely, rather than dance around it like some Republicans want to.

And I said "some," because as I understand, and I don't have any sources at the moment, there's been at least three different attempts by Republicans to end the shut down, but Trump reportedly rejected each of them because he still wouldn't get his wall.
So not paying government employees is terrible if done by reliblicans, but fine as long as its being done by democrats to prove a point. Gotcha.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
There is an old saying:

When two elephants fight the grass is the one who gets hurt.
Except in this case, we have an elephant and a donkey fighting

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So not paying government employees is terrible if done by reliblicans, but fine as long as its being done by democrats to prove a point. Gotcha.
I never said that. Please don't pull a Censored on me. This shutdown needs to end as soon as possible, there's no ifs, ands, or buts about that. This is what Democrats (and even some Republicans) are trying to do, but Trump won't budge. He wants that wall, hence his proclamation that he'll keep the government shutdown "for months, or even years," if that's what it takes to get his wall. What @MuppetsRule shared are not attempts to shutdown the government altogether, but just a way to dance around it for a while - this is why Democrats are voting that down; we need an absolute and complete end to the shutdown, not a stay of execution.

Speaking of which, now we've got this interesting stand-off between Trump and Pelosi: Pelosi has forbidden Trump from giving his State of the Union address until he ends the shutdown . . . at first, Trump, in his usual Trump fashion, was throwing a temper tantrum over it, but now he's changed his tune, and has actually agreed to postpone his SOTU address "until the near future." Pelosi is holding Trump to this as meaning he will end the shutdown soon . . . but, knowing Trump, I doubt it.

Even though I really don't care for Pelosi, and she's really not the best representative of the Democratic party (it really doesn't help that she and others are lowering themselves to Trump's level of petty immaturity), she's doing the right thing here . . . though, I'm sure some on Trump's side see this as petty revenge on her part for Trump grounding her.