The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've yet to be able to get a response from Frank Oz for any of the times I've tweeted to him since he joined Twitter, even though he seems to take the time to respond to his followers.
He has said that Twitter ended up being a lot more time consuming that he expected, and I believe he said that he couldn't respond to everyone.

I have asked him a few questions on Twitter. He hasn't responded to any that I posted, but has replied to/liked a few of my comments to tweets sent by him or other fans.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Disney often puts out various "through the years" things showing the many different forms of Mickey Mouse. But often, when the original Mickey Mouse is shown, he's depicted as wearing the steamboat worker hat from Steamboat Willie, even though that was only in one short and the original glove-free Mickey Mouse didn't wear it in other shorts (though Steamboat Willie is probably the best-known of the shorts from before Mickey got his gloves). I would think that having a black and white Mickey not wearing gloves or (maybe) shoes would be enough to figure out that it's the original.

I started thinking about this tonight when I saw a shirt of the many forms of Mickey Mouse, which included two of the original 1928 Mickey - one wearing the hat and one not wearing the hat.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Geico's been playing a lot of their old commercials lately, but I know there are really old Geico commercials we'll probably never see again: the original Gecko, voiced by Kelsey Grammer, who was much more posh and uppercrust, and actually hated being associated with Geico.

cjd874

Reaction score
I just realized how many AMAZING singers there have been within Sesame Street's cast over the years. The most prominent ones in my mind are:
  • Jerry Nelson (listen to anything with the Count and Little Jerry)
  • Richard Hunt (any song with Placido Flamingo, Gladys, and Don Music)
  • Kevin Clash ("Put Down the Duckie," "In Your Imagination," and "Octopus Blues")
  • Christopher Cerf ("Raise Your Hand," "Born to Add," and "Wet Paint")
  • Bob McGrath ("A Boy from Indiana")
  • Marilyn Sokol ("I Want a Monster to Be My Friend")
  • Alaina Reed ("Filling the Air with Love")
  • Lillias White ("Miss My Mommy Blues" with Herry Monster).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've been noticing promos for a new PBS Kids show called LET'S GO LUNA, and it's struck me how the animation style looks unlike other PBS Kids shows, and in fact, looks a lot more like the kind of animated program you might have seen on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network back in the day . . . then I came to realize this is Joe Murray's new show that he's been talking about. Also looks like CATDOG creator Peter Hannan is working on it as well; that's an interesting team-up. Judy Greer is also voicing the title character, which is astounding.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Oswald is an octopus, right? So why he does he need to wear a life preserver in the episode where they go to the beach. It's not like he's gonna drown or anything!

Also Oswald's friend Daisy is actually a sunflower.

Cartoon logic, I guess.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Recently I downloaded Super Mario Bros. 3 on the WiiU, and noticed some levels are quite harder than I remembered when playing about seven years ago. And some of the levels I've always declared the hardest are a little easier for me now (I've been better at exploiting certain secrets and stuff that are helpful). Of course some levels are mainly difficult if you start out as small Mario or can't figure out which power-up you should use when entering.

I wonder if there's a glitch when playing on the WiiU. I've noticed at times certain enemies don't appear at all, seems like it's if I have certain power-ups or something. I've looked at pages on the Mario Wiki and haven't seen any acknowledgement of these, so either they are glitches or secrets that have primarily gone undetected (but Super Mario Bros. 3 had its own strategy guide, surely it would have mentioned the possibility of certain enemies not appearing if you do certain things).

I kinda get why Goomba's Shoe only appears in one level (and disappears once you complete it), it might make things too easy, but couldn't they have put it in a few more levels, maybe one per world? In fact the one level with the shoe isn't really a hard level at all, with or without the shoe (and that's one of those glitches I mentioned - I decided to play through the level once without getting the shoe to make sure I was right about how easy it is, and didn't see the third Goomba Shoe).

The sun only appears in two levels. I can't really decide which one is scarier - his first appearance, where he's just standing still for the first half (though he does have that angry face) before flying out and trying to attack Mario, or in level 8-2, where he doesn't show up until halfway through the level, coming out from behind a hill (and if you are flying through the level, possibly off the hill, he suddenly shows up from off-screen). Actually, I've never been scared of the sun in his first level, but I can see how some might be scared. When I first played level 8-2 years ago, I was startled when the sun suddenly showed up (I think I had the p-wing or had run fast enough to be flying off the hill) - and I was aware that he was in the level. At least there's a secret passage way that allows you to avoid contact with the character.

But still, I think it was a missed opportunity that The Angry Sun does not appear in worlds 5 or 6, which would have been appropriate worlds for him (he could have been in the world 6 level where the ice had basically been melted - or maybe the level before that one).

A few weeks ago, I had a dream where I was using the secret passage way in level 8-2, and that the Sun followed me down the quicksand. Then I was playing that level, thinking about the dream, and a flying Goomba suddenly dropped down, not sure if this was a glitch or not (didn't really pay attention to whether he came from the ceiling or the quicksand), but with its shape and light coloring I thought it was the sun at first.

The white platforms that allow you to temporarily go behind scenery only appears in a few levels, but aside from being able to go behind and use scenery to protect yourself from enemies, it seems like the one that leads to the first warp whistle is the only one to really allow you to do/get something amazing.

Let me tell you from experience: The first fortress of world 7 allows you to get unlimited coins and extra lives (if you die from running out of time, you'll lose one of those lives, but can just stock up on more lives), but it makes things a little harder if you're plan is to keep dying so you can stock up on items from the mushroom houses for when you get to world 8 (or some of the worlds hardest levels, like 7-8 or the second castle). If you're trying to collect as many items you can and die on purpose so you can keep coming back and getting more, it can take a long time to run out of lives to go back to the refreshed mushroom houses again (even if the second fortress is hard enough that you're bound to lose all those extra lives unless you use the hammer suit).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I used to be really happy about seeing the younger generations discovering and appreciating TV shows and such from yesteryears, and seeing for themselves what good television used to be like way back in the day - with many of them even agreeing that TV shows today could and should be a lot more like they used to be.

Now I find myself rolling my eyes and shaking my head at seeing the younger generations perpetuating one of their stereotypes by finding so many of these older shows offensive: BEWITCHED and I DREAM OF JEANNIE = sexist, because Samantha and Jeannie were always submissive and answered to Darrin and Tony, respectively; ALL IN THE FAMILY = politically incorrect, because of all the junk that Archie would say; SEINFELD = offensive, because they made fun of, well, everybody.

I suppose next, the younger generations will say SANFORD AND SON is racist, because Fred and Lamont live in a ghetto.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I'm sick of people finding everything offensive nowadays. I used to admittedly be that way though. I would watch those dark comedy shows but whenever certain scenes came on I'd always change the channel. Now I look back at my old self and think "They are just jokes, get a hold of yourself man!". Nowadays the only things I find offensive are things that are truly meant to be hateful like that disgusting website Stormfront for example which is actually intended to be legitimately racist and not just using racism as a device for off color humor

mr3urious

Reaction score
Trix brought back the fruit shapes that were used throughout the '90s, but are called "Classic" Trix. And even though I grew up with this shape, it's inaccurate to call them that considering the uniform round shapes were the actual classic.