Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Like everybody else, I don't want people to be sick or poor either.
I would like everybody to have healthcare (affordable, not free) but there's the nagging question, how can we pay for this?
I would love a new Lamborghini, but if I can't afford it I'll have to do without. But I don't have a right to a new car, and Lamborghini doesn't owe me one.

I'm also a little confused where AOC stands. She wants to champion getting jobs for the downtrodden, but was so.happy when the Amazon deal in New York fell through. To her, Jeff Besos was a slime ball capitalist. But to the people in Long Island City, it meant 25,000 new jobs. No skin off her nose.

MWoO

Reaction score
The Amazon thing really confused me. She claimed that it was wrong that Amazon was being given tax breaks and that that money should have been spent on programs to help people... except we were not GIVING Amazon actual money, they were just GIVING US a little less.

She basically cut off her nose to spite her face. Amazon would have paid billions in tax revenue. So because she wanted them to pay a little more, she lost the city billions and 25,000 jobs. Seems like a bad strat. It's like if a friend has a pizza and offers you a slice, but you say you won't take anything less than half and so they tell you to go screw and leave along with all their pizza.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Governor Cuomo and Mayor DeBlazzio said pretty much the same thing. Amazon picked up their marbles and left. Now the two are begging Amazon to come back.

Gentlemen, this is what the Mob calls a botched job. Heaven help you fools.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, this, evidently, is actual conservative logic (based on an actual conversation I had): the real reason why big businesses and the wealthy are presently thriving from Trump's tax breaks, while working class schmucks are struggling due to less work and smaller paychecks is because the working class is just really, really ignorant.

Yeah, makes sense. I mean, it really is ignorant that many working class folk are working 3-5 jobs at the same time to make ends meet, while the white collar workers and such are getting off easy thanks to Trump's tax breaks.

On an unrelated note: gas prices shot up twenty cents in the last couple of weeks!

MWoO

Reaction score
So.... Just fyi, the percentage of people who work more than one job is lower than in years past. In 2010 it was 5%, though higher in years past, currently it is 4.9%. So.... you may personally work multiple jobs or know someone who does, but actually less people do now than before.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
So.... Just fyi, the percentage of people who work more than one job is lower than in years past. In 2010 it was 5%, though higher in years past, currently it is 4.9%. So.... you may personally work multiple jobs or know someone who does, but actually less people do now than before.
There you go again with like, actual facts

MWoO

Reaction score
There you go again with like, actual facts
I know, I'm just awful.

It seems so odd that some people can state verifiably false statements like its nothing when literally anything factual can be looked up in an instant. There are many reasons to not like Trump. There is no reason to make stuff up.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I know, I'm just awful.

It seems so odd that some people can state verifiably false statements like its nothing when literally anything factual can be looked up in an instant. There are many reasons to not like Trump. There is no reason to make stuff up.
Yeah, that's what I don't get. There really are a million reasons to despise President Trump. A million FACTUAL reasons. Why does one have to resort to making up stuff? Although, to be fair to D'Snowth, I do believe his beliefs are based on real-life anecdotal evidence. But anecdotal evidence can not be applied to the whole and stated as fact. I don't know how many times you or I have refuted what he has stated as fact based on his experience as not being the case at all. One has to remember to take off the lenses of political bias through which they are viewing things.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Up here in the Northeast, gas prices have been dropping steadily since November, due to massive production of gasoline. For the first time in 70 years
( that's even older than me!) supply outstripped demand, and we are not dependent on Middle East countries for petroleum. I never thought I'd see that in my lifetime.
Gas prices always rise and fall, most notably spiking around Memorial Day. Warmer weather, demand drives prices up. Economics 101. It's not like the CEO of Exxon/Mobil is wringing his hands going "Hahaha! I got that Snowthy now!! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!"