Sesame Street Season 50 News and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Last night I thought up a good concept for a 50th anniversary DVD (or online "collection"): One that's kind of like the "Best of Friends" DVD release, only it'd focus on the characters who have been on the show since the first season: Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, Oscar, Cookie Monster, and Grover (and maybe Kermit, though he hasn't been on Sesame Street much in the last three decades). Don't really know if I'd rather Ernie and Bert be treated separately or be grouped together (with many of their respective solo bits included as well as together bits).

Part of me likes the idea, if it's feasible enough, of having one segment with each character from all 50 years, though there's not much to choose from with Ernie (and maybe Bert) for seasons 22-24 and 37-44 (there'd be plenty of group numbers where they don't get much dialogue, but wouldn't want to represent them with those), but maybe a chronological selection of segments for each character, maybe have the year appear on screen (at least starting with whatever segment - so, if there's three first season segments with a character, 1969 would appear on-screen for the first of those clips, then if we get to 1970, that year would appear, and we could skip from 1970 to 1973, etc.).

And part of me would want to start each character selection with their first appearance, though I'm not too sure (especially if such an idea were to include just one clip of each character per season). Grover's first appearance on Sesame Street was Henson #5, but I wouldn't want to include that as a representation of Grover's first appearance (though I would like to have it on DVD.... I think the loud and soft radio bit with Kermit is Grover's first featured appearance, and then there's the two rare Grover segments from episode 125 which mark the first times he was identified by name on the show).

Hmmm, I had been thinking it'd be better to arrange the segments by character, but maybe they could be arranged by season and include a segment with each character (if released on Blu-ray, maybe they could let consumers choose which order to watch them).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I kept debating over whether to provide a sketch wishlist for my idea of an anniversary DVD spotlighting the main characters who were there in the first season, but why not?

Big Bird
  • Big Bird meets Sally
  • The Sound of the Letter A
  • ABC-DEF-GHI (season 4 version)
  • Big Bird's Backwards/Forwards Home Movies
  • Big Bird and Mr. Hooper at the beach
  • Different People, Different Ways
  • NY remote: without people
  • Wheels on my Feet
  • Everybody Needs a Friend
  • Believe in Yourself
  • Big Bird counts Snuffy's feet
  • Good Night/Wake Up
  • Jay Leno sits in for Johnny
  • Video Postcard: Fishing Trip
  • Big Bird's Sun Poem
  • Big Zoe, Little Big Bird
  • We Worked It Out
  • That's Cooperation

Bert and Ernie
  • Two Noses
  • Ernie writes a letter (M) to his cousin
  • Rubber Duckie (the true original)
  • Who took Bert's cookies?
  • The book salesman
  • La, La, La
  • Cavemen invent paper
  • Doin' the Pigeon
  • I'm Square
  • Bert and Maria imagine flying
  • Ernie leads the band
  • The Black-out
  • One cookie or many?
  • He Lost His Duckie
  • Imagine That
  • Miami Mice
  • Ernie brings home a surprise
  • Caveperson Days: Inventing the window
  • Drum Beats Game
  • Best Friends Blues
  • Opposite Game
  • Stick Out Your Hand and Say Hello
  • Ernie catches all the fish
  • Ernie practices saying Hola
  • Things That I Remember
  • Ernie contemplates his toes
  • That's How I Roll
  • Change the Plan
  • The Bert & Ernie of Sesame Street (not too sure how I feel about including a viral video as part of the main program, but can't think of too many from the last few years)

Oscar the Grouch
  • Oscar's insulting alphabet
  • The Trading Game
  • Oscar and Grover's alphabet
  • Oscar introduces his traveling can
  • Nasty Dan
  • Oscar drives a dump truck
  • Bill of Gripes
  • Oscar gets rejected to appear in a movie shot at Hooper's Store
  • That Grouchy Face
  • Stop that bus stop!
  • Alone in the Swamp with You
  • Danny DeVito critiques Oscar's grouch art
  • Just Throw It My Way
  • Zoe talks about U
  • Grouch Eye for the Nice Guy
  • Scramalot

Cookie Monster
  • Cookie Monster takes Ernie's milk and cookies
  • Herbert Birdsfoot tests Cookie Monster's thinking skills
  • C is for Cookie
  • Same and Different with Ernie and Cookie Monster
  • Cookie
  • Cookie Monster at the library
  • Breakfast Time
  • The Leslie Mostly Show
  • Kermit News: First Day of School
  • Google Bugle
  • Healthy Food
  • Monsterpiece Theater: One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
  • Ginger Bread Man
  • Zero Cookies with Gladys Ormphby
  • The first and last cookie
  • Which toy is better?
  • The Letter of the Day: C
  • A Cookie is a Sometimes Food
  • Me Am What Me Am
  • Cookie's Crumby Pictures: Star S'mores
  • Make It Fit
  • Smart Cookies (can't really decide which one... and although I have watched them all and enjoyed them, I keep forgetting the main plots and settings)
  • Cookie Monster and Abby Cadabby play checkers
  • Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck (I am more clueless on the content of individual sketches as Smart Cookies)

Grover
  • Hey Frog
  • Grover counts three blocks
  • Grover and John-John count to 20
  • Four Grovers???
  • Super Grover: Barber Shop
  • Grover serves a burger
  • Near and Far
  • Proud of Me
  • Professor Grover: Breathing
  • Marshall Grover counts backwards
  • Sing After Me
  • At the Barre with Suzanne Farrel, Grover, Herry, and another monster
  • The nose warmer salesman
  • Camp Wannagohoma: Island
  • Grocery store line
  • Grover and Erik rhyme
  • Monsterpiece Theater: The Sound of Music
  • Monster in the Mirror
  • Dog Walker
  • Grover the taxi driver
  • Red and Blue
  • Global Grover: Australia
  • A Streetcar Called Monster
  • The Feijoo Sisters show Grover a pirouette
  • Spider-Monster: The Musical
  • Super Grover 2.0: Pretty good wall of China
  • I Need a Word
  • Game of Chairs

I feel I should include a few more from recent seasons for many of the characters, but I'm not that familiar with content from the HBO seasons (in some cases I probably should have included a little more from the 1990s and 2000s). I am actually surprised that my Grover wishlist looks smaller than what I would have expected to make.

And I think this is the first Sesame Street DVD wishlist I posted on MC since Muppet Wiki got access to trusted sources, allowing me to know more seasons that segments debuted in and in some cases (I assume) even know what titles were used for more segments.

We probably won't get a release like this for the 50th anniversary, but it would make for a great release.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Last night I thought up a good concept for a 50th anniversary DVD (or online "collection"): One that's kind of like the "Best of Friends" DVD release, only it'd focus on the characters who have been on the show since the first season
Unfortunately, that wouldn't sell. Too many of the show's prominent/core Muppets haven't been around since Season 1, like Elmo, Telly, Abby.

Unless they marketed this specifically toward older fans and such (like the Old School DVD volumes), maybe, but I'm sure they would want to market to as many demographics as they can during such a milestone anniversary as this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that wouldn't sell. Too many of the show's prominent/core Muppets haven't been around since Season 1, like Elmo, Telly, Abby.

Unless they marketed this specifically toward older fans and such (like the Old School DVD volumes), maybe, but I'm sure they would want to market to as many demographics as they can during such a milestone anniversary as this.
Yeah, for an anniversary release, it'd be better to represent most of the seasons/eras almost equally (though my wishlist kinda reflected that, though more on the first decade than others).

Heck, a few years ago, when the main cast was shortened to seven, I thought there should have been a similar release focusing on the best of the core seven, and I can't believe I hadn't thought about the idea of a set focusing on those who were around in the first season (and my idea was to include those still on the show) until now.

In a way, making wishlists for a release to reflect the anniversary of a long-running franchise can be tough. I often primarily want to include stuff from the early years (whatever that is) and prefer the first decade or two, but also really want to represent each decade almost equally (even if there are decades/eras I am a lot less interested in).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I finally got around to shooting my submission for their Sunny Days sing-along video, but the only thing was I had to downgrade it a bit, because their Terms and Conditions say to keep the file size under 100MB, and with my camera being able to film in HD, the file size was over twice that large.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
So I finally got around to shooting my submission for their Sunny Days sing-along video, but the only thing was I had to downgrade it a bit, because their Terms and Conditions say to keep the file size under 100MB, and with my camera being able to film in HD, the file size was over twice that large.
Are you going to share it here?

Status
Not open for further replies.