Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4913 - The Big Pretend Band

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4913 - The Big Pretend Band
HBO Premiere: Saturday February 9, 2019

Bert learns how to use his imagination and pretend-play a saxophone so that he can join his friends in their pretend band and play in a concert.

This episode features an all-new street story, Questlove and Grover play the drums, an all-new Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Bananas") and Elmo's World ("Instruments").

If you saw "The Big Pretend Band" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Can't complain having Ernie and Bert as the focus of an episode. Weird that Herry would be in a band with a bunch of adults. Nice to see Mama Bear; she kinda disappeared for awhile.

The bit with Questlove is quality Grover material.

Interesting having a celebrity pop up during the Foodie Truck bit. I wonder what other cameos, if any, they'll do in future bits.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm really curious as to how they made Bert's fingers move. Considering I recently learned from Adam Kreutinger that a lot of puppets have snap-on arms, I'm guessing they popped off Bert's regular arms, and snapped on special arms that had a mech or some sort built into the fingers that allowed them to be moved independently via radio/remote control or something. Either way, yes, nice to see Ernie and Bert get a bit of the spotlight today.

The way Gonger says "Bananananana" reminds me of this ancient YouTube video from a decade ago:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised to see Mama Bear again. I liked how Bert was surprised to learn how Ernie's uncle wasn't a persona put on by Ernie. The best part of Ernie having a performer who's more available, besides being able to see more of him, is seeing him interact with Abby. The bit with Questlove and Grover was funny. I liked how Gonger showed Cookie how the word "Banana" can be used in music.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Can't complain having Ernie and Bert as the focus of an episode. Weird that Herry would be in a band with a bunch of adults. Nice to see Mama Bear; she kinda disappeared for awhile.

The bit with Questlove is quality Grover material.

Interesting having a celebrity pop up during the Foodie Truck bit. I wonder what other cameos, if any, they'll do in future bits.
I have to agree. (Yes. I can watch these now. I'm finding some online at least street scenes and other parts of the ep. Plus my local PBS affiliate has had some audio issues lately so if that's not fixed by the time PBS runs season 49, or the annual Julia ep that airs on PBS ahead of time, I think watching online is my best bet.) You can't go wrong with a Bert and Ernie ep. I knew from the start that Ernestino was real. Lol. I'm also starting to like Pete's Ernie. I thought Billy's Ernie voice was a bit too deep, but Pete's does seem to come closer to Steve's or even Jim's.

On another note, it was good to see Herry and Mama Bear. Too bad neither of them had any speaking parts.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"The Big Pretend Band" premieres on PBS this Monday October 14. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.