News Broadcasting

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If you want emotional news casting (or despise it), you should click on YouTube "Hindenburg disaster". Herb Morrison's 1937 radio broadcast starts out routine enough. But as the tragedy unfolds and he sees the ship crashing and people getting burned to death (36 died in the fire) emotions get the best of him. It would be kind of hard not to.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
I would keep my feelings to my self if I were presenting a news report or doing a news report through a certain medium (audiences for news reports ought to be allowed to form their own feelings regarding news without the feelings of their presenters or reporters).
I believe this started during 9/11 and was boosted during Hurricane Katrina. During 9/11 even the most stolid news anchors were visibly shaken (rightly so), and Anderson Cooper's coverage of Katrina's devastation of his beloved New Orleans received favorable response from viewers. I don't have a problem with news anchors being human beings, but they absolutely should not allow emotions to cloud their straightforward reporting.

Then again, these days, very few news anchors are actually journalists. Too many are "TV personalities," which is NOT journalism.