My Time To Shine: A Muppet Show Fanfic (2019 Updated Version)

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
As some of you know, a few years ago, I wrote a Muppet Show fanfic involving yours truly. Unfortunately, that fanfic was never completed.

Well, it's time to update it.

Some aspects from the original fanfic are in this version too.
For example, Steve Whitmire still performing Kermit (Because why not?).

Chapter 1: Beginnings

It's been a rough year for me. College was stressing me out to no end. Life's been difficult for me since my Grandmother passed away a year ago.
It was just an overall ****.

At the same time, it was a positive year, too. I saw a few of my good friends for the first time since we graduated High School. That and both of my Semesters this past year went well. In every single class, I finished with over an 80%.

Yay Me.

Oh yes. Let me introduce myself before I forget.
The name's Matt Bingel. A 19 year old college student from Baltimore, Maryland studying Business Administration. Also an aspiring singer and actor.
I've done school plays before. Once in 5th Grade and the other in 6th Grade.

And who helped me through those rough times? The Muppets, of course! They've always been there for me in tough times. So, one day, I'm just relaxing in my living room, or what I call my studio, one Friday night and I get this strange phone call. Of course my mom answers it just like she answers every other phone call. Yes, she even answers spam calls. Why? It's because if they ask to put her on the "Do Not Call" list, she'll push the button telling them so. Smart Mom I have, Huh?
"Matt, it's for you" Mom said.
"Oh great. A phone call for me for once." I thought to myself.
"Hello?"
"Hi Ho there, Matt" The voice said.
"K-Kermit? Is that you?" I said.
"Why yes it is! How did you know?"
"Trust me, I recognize that voice."
"Glad you do. Well, I've heard a lot about your story."
"Oh you have."
"Why yes. Your mother told me all about it."
"Being the sweet mother that she is. So, what's up?"
"Well, I wanted to know if you would like to guest star on The Muppet Show"
I just stood there shocked.
"Why Kermit, I-I never thought you'd ask. I'd love to!"
"Fantastic! Now, do you have any talents?
"Why yes I do."
"And they are?"
"Acting and singing."
"Oh, so you're an actor?"
"Yes."
"Any big productions you're doing right now?"
"No. Just doing school plays for now."
"Gotta start somewhere."
"True. Do you play any instruments?"
"Well, I'm learning how to play keyboard and acoustic guitar."
"Interesting. We'll have to get you someone to teach you."
"Fine with me."
"Now, last question. Is there anyone you'd like to do a scene with?"
Again, I was shocked.
"No doubt. Miss Piggy, please."
"Alright, Miss Piggy it is. Now, you should be receiving an email within the next 24 hours with all of the information in terms of the flight and then we'll take it from there. Give me a call when you arrive in Hollywood."
"Sounds good to me. One problem, though."
"What's that?"
"I would have to call you via my cell number."
"Well, I do not have a problem with that. Go ahead and give the number to me."
So, I did.
"Alright. Sounds good. Well, Matt. It was nice talking to ya and I can't wait to see ya when you come out here."
"Can't wait to do this show, Kermit."
"Alrighty, goodbye now."
"Bye Kermit."
Once I hung up, I cried tears of joy because this is what I dreamed about for nearly a decade.
Me! Working With The Muppets! THE True, Legit Muppets! Who would have thought?!

Look out Hollywood, here I come!

END OF CHAPTER 1

------------------------------

Well, that's Chapter 1. What do ya think so far?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
OooH! Exciting! Imagine getting a call from Kermit asking you to be on The Muppet Show! The most inaccurate thing about this chapter is that Matt didn't die right there.
I get the feeling this story is slightly autobiographical.

Btw, was Matt, by any chance named after a certain other Matt involved with Kermit, or is it just coincidence?

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
Just coincidence.
And to be perfectly honest, I really wanted to have him faint, but then I’m like “Nah, it’ll be too dramatic.”

MUPPETFAN1976

Reaction score
I can see why it's a bit cliche.
But you never know what can happen.

Sure, it may be only a fanfic, but it might just happen one day (obviously completely different from this, but whatever).

Anyways, Chapter 2.
---------------------------------
Chapter 2: The True Beginning

So, Thursday night, I'm all ready to fly out to LA. I've got my bags packed with the usual. Clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, and what not.
This is my first flight since going to Boston in April of last year, but I'm really excited for THIS trip.
One problem: I needed to get to the airport and I heard traffic was really bad. But then again, it's 695. 695 is always backed up.
So, my cousin decided to take me to the airport and take the backroads. Less traffic, less problems. Hopefully.

"Please be careful, but have a good time." My mother told me before I left for LA.
"I will."
"And one more thing, please call me."
"Oh I will. I might be at the studio while you call me though."
"Oh, that's right. You'll be on the West Coast."
"Yes."
"But still, please call me when you get a chance."
"I will."
"Ok. Love you."
"Love you too."
And so, I take the 5 hour 2 minute nonstop flight from BWI to LAX that night.

9:35 PM PST (12:35 AM EST)
DAY 0.5
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

So, I arrive in Los Angeles. Finally.
It feels so weird being here though. For one, I have never been this far West before, let alone being on the West Coast at all. The furthest I've ever traveled was Florida. That was nearly 8 years ago.

My father gave me advice to call a Lyft to and from the studio. He didn't mind it was on his card, though, which surprised me because he always got mad whenever I had to use an Uber to come home from college when the bus never came.
So, I did in fact, call a lyft, and got to my hotel in like 25 minutes with hardly any traffic.
"So, what brings ya to LA?" The man driving asked.
"Actually, I'm guest starring on a new show."
"But you're not recognizable."
"To most. Yet anyway."
"Ah. What show?"
"The Muppet Show."
"Really?!"
"Yep."
"Why, that must be a big honor for you!"
"You bet it is!"
"How are you getting on this show?"
"Beats me. Apparently, my mom told them about me."
"Oh. Must be very deserving then."
"Absolutely."
"But now, how are you appearing on the show when you're not even famous?"
"Again, beats me. Then again, I am currently working on my first album."
"That's fantastic, man. Good to hear. What's your style?"
"My style?"
"Yeah, your style of music on this album."
"Mostly funk."
"My man."
"You like funk?"
"You bet I do. Now, funk is difficult to do this day-in-age."
"Not really if you got the right equipment."
"True that. But why funk? You like someone that would be doin' Pop Music."
"Nah, Pop ain't for me. It's too common nowadays. I wanna make myself stand out."
"Can't go wrong with that."

Yes, I was working on my first album before coming out here.

Once I arrived to the hotel, I gave the man my autograph just in case it came in handy.
I check in, and my room is beautiful. The view is absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful skyline of Los Angeles. It's perfect.

So, after checking out the room, I notice this note on the Dresser. It had a note from the Hotel welcoming me, but there was also another note next to it. Here's the very note and this is what they wrote:

Dear Matt,
Hi Ho! We are so happy that you are here in Los Angeles. We already talked about what you wanted to do in the show. I'll have a meeting with the crew tomorrow and let you know about it. Hope to see ya before Monday, but if not I'll see you then.

Sincerely,
Kermit The Frog
& Steve Whitmire

Along with the letter came things like directions to the studio, schedule, and my guest pass. There was also a letter from Executive Producer Bill Barretta.

Dear Matt,
Greetings! We are so excited to have you on the show. Kermit (and Steve) told me all about you, or at least most of it. Unless there's more that you'll tell us later on. Anyways, just writing to ya sayin' welcome to LA.
See ya Monday!
Sincerely,

Bill Barretta
Executive Producer

P.S. Please don't lose the schedule or the guest pass. You'll need those.

Now, I felt like I was a part of the family. And I hadn't even gotten to the studio yet.
I knew this was something I was never gonna forget.