The ASMR Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Because those ASMR videos are so popular on YouTube nowadays, I'm assuming most of you know what it is already and so I'm not going to describe the phenomenon.

Does anyone here you have any personal ASMR triggers?

Because I have a strong case of severe depression and anxiety, ASMR really helps me when I'm feeling depressed or nervous (which happens constantly).

My triggers are the following:

-Wind chimes

-The sound of tree frogs croaking

-The sound of a waterfall

-Birds chirping

-Oswald the Octopus (the character's calming voice, the background music, and the gentle, friendly sounding voice of his friend Daisy the Sunflower make this one a perfect ASMR combination for me).

-Any kind of medieval-sounding music (the type of stuff you'd hear at Renaissance Fairs or in the background of fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings)

-The sound of a cat purring.

-The song Into the Mystic by Van Morrison. The reason for this one is very personal to me. It was the first song my mom ever played for me when I was still a baby. Just hearing the first 5 seconds of this song are enough to trigger warm, happy memories of those wonderful, carefree days.

-The song American Honey by Lady Antebellum. Again, this one has a very personal meaning to me. Many years ago, we had a family friend who regularly spent the night at our house due to her insanely busy parents. Because of how frequently she visited us, she felt like a sister to me. Being the only child that I was, she was the closest to a sister figure I ever experienced. Not to mention she is by far one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. American Honey was always her favorite song. She'd play it all the time on her .mp3 player, whenever it came on the radio she'd crank the song up as loud she possibly could, and she'd even sing along to it in her beautiful sounding voice. So whenever I hear American Honey, it always reminds me of this person who is near and dear to my heart and the many amazing memories we shared together. Some lyrics in the song even remind me of her such as:

"There's a wild, wild whisper blowing in the wind. Calling out my name like a long lost friend. Oh, I miss those days as the years go by and nothing's sweeter than Summer time with American Honey" (she would always spend nearly the entire Summer at our house)

and also

"She grew up on the side of the road. Where the church bells ring and strong love grows,".

Coincidentally, my friend also grew up on a country roadside located next to a small local church.

Misskermie

Reaction score
My positive ones would have to be things like the central heating coming on, or the fan being on, or just the sound of rain. Soft, constant sounds like that put me at ease. Another one I like is the gentle bubbling from a fish tank. I also like hearing graphite pencils writing on paper. Super satisfying.

The ones that make me aggressive however, are the ones that involve eating loudly. I suffer from misophonia, and I literally cannot stand the ASMR that involves lip smacking, or loud chewing, or anything. My cousins find it hilarious and chew in my ear on purpose, and honestly I have been known to flip out and swing on them. I just lose it.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
- New age music

- Nature sounds

I also like something called trip-hop music and SomaFM, which is a website along with an app that has commercial-free music channels of different music genres.