April Fools: Disney to celebrate The Muppet Movie 40th anniversary

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw announced on Oh My Disney that there's plans for an official celebration of The Muppet Movie's 40th anniversary.

Plans for the celebration will include:
  • New home video release for the 40th anniversary, on DVD, Blu-ray, and Ultra 4K HD. DVD will have the same bonus features as current DVD does, the Blu-ray will also retain all features from previous Blu-ray but will also include The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, Cheerios commercials, The Muppet Movie float at the 1979 Macy's parade, and deleted/extended scenes (from the UK release), and the Ultra 4K release will have scans from the original draft of the script, a special tribute to James Frawley, a photo gallery, the original theatrical trailer, promos for past home video releases, and the entire Tough Pigs "Moving Right Along" podcast (the first season).
  • Rerelease of the movie storybook.
  • A special "Muppet Movie Live" tour, playing in six different cities, will will include the Muppets doing new performances of songs from the film, sketches inspired by the movie, and screen favorite moments from the film.
  • Marvel Comics will public "Tales from The Muppet Movie", a four-issue arc with two stories per comic, based around things inspired by the movie, including details on how Fozzie got his job at the El Sleezo, how Scooter became road manager for The Electric Mayhem, and what Miss Piggy did during her brief period of leaving Kermit and the gang behind.
  • The Disney parks will be releasing ten new pins inspired by scenes from the movie - including Kermit playing the banjo, Kermit about to be electrocuted, Animal growing out of a building, The Swedish Chef with messed-up film projector, Sweetums chasing the gang, and Doglion taking a seat.
  • The Muppet Movie Trivia Game - a board game where fans can answer questions about the movie.
  • DK publishing will release "The Muppets Films Encyclopedia", featuring detailed information on all eight theatrical Muppet films, plus the made-for-video Kermit's Swamp Years, the two made-for-TV movies, and the attraction Muppet Vision 3D.
  • The Disney parks will get a "Muppet Movie parade" attraction.
  • The Muppet Movie finger puppets - 18 finger puppets will be released, including Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Camilla, Dr. Teeth, and more.

APRIL FOOLS! (unfortunately)

DMHFan

Reaction score
This would've been nice. I could see that happening. We also can't forget about including "The Muppets Go Hollywood", the special to promote TMM as a bonus feature.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
This would've been nice. I could see that happening. We also can't forget about including "The Muppets Go Hollywood", the special to promote TMM as a bonus feature.
If The Muppets Studio were to break away from the Consumer Products division and become independent, things like that would be much more likely to happen.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I knew this was a joke right away, I don’t think there’s ever been footage or photos of the bus in the Macy’s parade

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I meant to say that and wrote in the wrong bonus special.

I knew this was a joke right away, I don’t think there’s ever been footage or photos of the bus in the Macy’s parade
But it was televised, I have a feeling all of the Macy's parades still exist so getting to see the Muppets segment of that parade would be a cool thing to clear the rights to (of course that same one had Kevin Clash's first performance in a Sesame float and while they talked about it they didn't show footage in Being Elmo, though it could be that they couldn't clear the footage.

I thought about also saying that the Muppet Movie watch that came with the 1993 VHS release would be rereleased, in different sizes.