Muppet Film and TV References

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I just bingewatched the latest season of Family Guy, season 17 and came across a couple Muppet references:

-Peter, who's very exhausted from walking up the stairs at work because he's too overweight, randomly says "Labyrinth is a pretty good movie,".

-A disabled kid at Meg's school got nicknamed "Kermit Legs Kyle". When Kermit Legs Kyle becomes prom king, a kid with a Kermit shaped head is disappointed that he didn't win the competition.

-Peter starts singing "Halfway Down The Stairs" when he's stuck in the stair railing. When Lois asks him why the heck he would just break out into song for no reason he replies with,

"I'm just doing that bit that Kermit's nephew, Robin did on The Muppet Show." and Lois answers,

"Wow! So original! You are just singing the same song that a frog sang years ago!"

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
A couple more Goldbergs references I've encountered:

-Adam Goldberg is listing off famous chefs he admires when his mom mentions her love of Julia Child. One of the favorite chefs he mentions is "that lovable Swedish Muppet,".

-Adam has a Beaker puppet, a Boober Fraggle plush, and a Great Muppet Caper poster in his room. These appear in the background throughout different assorted episodes.

-When Adam becomes a tween who's curious about sex, Murray gives him "the talk" by demonstrating the birds and the bees with Fraggle puppets.

-Adam says "Yellow is the color of our enemy and Big Bird," in one episode.

-In one episode, went under the fake alias "Kermit D. Fonz" which combined the names of two of his favorite TV characters:Kermit the Frog and Arthur Fonzarelli.

Because of all the countless references he makes to every Jim Henson creation, I have no doubt that the real Adam Goldberg who created the show is probably a HUGE Muppet fan just like Seth MacFarlane, Seth Green, and Kevin Shinick.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone here listens/watches the popular? Dan Lebitard Show on ESPN Radio and ESPN News. One of the bits they regularly feature is the Magical Crate of Content that shows up at odd intervals, basically a random question posed to all the members of their staff known as the "shipping container" because they're like rats who'll jump ship.

Today's question from the pencilholder was: Which would you prefer to be, Bugs Bunny or Kermit The Frog?
It kind of seemed that :smile: won the choice.
And now, after realizing what today's date is, there's a part of me that smiles at it could have been a question specifically selected to honor :jim:.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And on today's Lebitard show...

A call-in viewer asked if his own wife was :wisdom: due to his misguided suspicions given that he said when his children watch Sesame Street and Big Bird is on screen his wife mysteriously disappears. :zany:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
And on today's Lebitard show...

A call-in viewer asked if his own wife was :wisdom: due to his misguided suspicions given that he said when his children watch Sesame Street and Big Bird is on screen his wife mysteriously disappears. :zany:
:laugh:.
It's the only explanation!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, I'm pretty sure that guy's wife isn't :wisdom:. Miss Finch on the other hand, that opens up another kind of thread that's already posted in another forum section. :wink:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
The only Muppet reference that literally made me hold back tears was the episode of The Orville where Captain Ed Mercer sat a little Kermit plushie on his desk and proceeded to inform everyone in the room that Kermit is his hero. Why did that mean so much to me? The Orville is set over 6 thousand years into the future. So it feels almost like the show's Muppet loving creator Seth MacFarlane is trying to say that no matter how many centuries pass by, people will always remember The Muppets fondly.

Mupzy

Reaction score
The only Muppet reference that literally made me hold back tears was the episode of The Orville where Captain Ed Mercer sat a little Kermit plushie on his desk and proceeded to inform everyone in the room that Kermit is his hero. Why did that mean so much to me? The Orville is set over 6 thousand years into the future. So it feels almost like the show's Muppet loving creator Seth MacFarlane is trying to say that no matter how many centuries pass by, people will always remember The Muppets fondly.
Oh I remember this!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Wow, how did any of us miss this? I only noticed it last night.

On the cover art for Iron Maiden(!)'s single "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter", you can see a certain grouch...