Dr. Teeth repaint: ebay report...

MM-III

Reaction score
Just thought I'd let anyone who's interested know the going rates for the Dr. teeth from Wizard East on Ebay. I've been tracking every figure available for the last week (yes, I've been bored) I figured I'd pass along the knowledge to anyone who's still looking for a figure or for those who already have him, what he's worth at this point...

On Day 1, initial excitement and limited availability drove prices high. By the time the first auctions closed, the final bid price was around 60 dollars.

The Buy it now options ranged from a high of 80.00 to a low of 34.99... In the initial couple days, one figure sold for 75.00 buy it now, another for 65.00, a couple for 45.00, and one for 34.99. So far, the 34.99 buy it now is the lowest dr. teeth has been available. As if this writing, prices have begun to cool and the buy it now auctions at 60+ are failing to attract bidders. A dr. teeth with a starting bid of 49.99 and buy it now of 65.00 failed to sell and has been re-offered at 45.00 starting bid, 49.00 buy it now.

By the end of Week 1, aproximately 20-25 dr. teeth have been offered on Ebay. Initial excitement has waned somewhat and now the auctions are closing between 40-50 dollars.

At the peak, there were 15-17 dr. teeth auctions happening simultaneously. Currently, there are 9 auctions. If the number of figures available continues to drop, we may see an increase of prices. I have noticed that one bidder in particular has won at least 4 of the figures which means that some other collectors may become desperate and start bidding higher.

The lesson in all of this may be to exercise patience when bidding on these exclusives. If you jump in at the first offerings, you'll end up paying about 25%-33% more than you should. Waiting until there are a good number available should keep the prices down.

Luke

Reaction score
I think the lesson we can learn from this is that a good proportion of the people going to events like Wizard East are scalpers looking to make a quick buck on exclusives like Action Figures !

*Sigh* If only I lived in the states I could get a piece of the action too !!!!! ;-)

Personally, I much prefer the way they handled exclusives in the old days - where you had to collect proofs of purchase from the other more generally available ones to send in for the special figure. That was a lot fairer and meant the people who actually cared got the figures.

It's a shame something like a repaint couldn't have been organised for Muppet Central or the actual toy companies website - at least then the people who really want the figures and have been reading about them (and participating in a heck of a lot of the research) would get an equal shot.

King Prawn

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
It's a shame something like a repaint couldn't have been organised for Muppet Central or the actual toy companies website - at least then the people who really want the figures and have been reading about them (and participating in a heck of a lot of the research) would get an equal shot.
I totaly agree! :big_grin:

MM-III

Reaction score
On the surface, your idea makes sense... but it makes a dangerous assumption. You're assuming that every genuine muppet fan who is interested in these figures knows about this site. What about the folks that don't? What about the muppet fans that don't even own a computer? Are they any less entitled to exclusives?

And you know that once word gets out that the exclusives can be had through this web site, we would be swamped with scalpers posting here just to snap up all the figures. Or we'd get into daily matches about who is a bigger fan and hence deserves to get a figure over the other guy. No, the only solution to this problem is to stop offering show exclusives... but since we all know this isn't going to happen, we just need to accept it and move on...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to defend everything palisades toys does.. I do think that they are being tough on people who want a complete collection. But I also feel that it's been plainly demonstrated that there aren't enough people here who care enough to collect everything to make a difference. (hence only 12 respsonses to the call for another run of teeth figures)

I'd argue that palisades gave us a fair chance to get a second offering and we didn't make use of it...

FER SURE

Reaction score
I scooped one up off of Ebay. I know... I know, I am guilty. I am paying 48.00 for mine and I am stuck with a dielema. Should I take it off the card or not. All my others are coming off the card and going into displays. The cost of being a completist is offset by the contention of your heart.

MM-III

Reaction score
I also grabbed one... actually, all my excessive tracking allowed me to jump on the 35.00 buy it now before anyone else saw it. But I was very lucky...

As for the display issue... I plan on having a set out of the package for display and another set in cards to barter with. I know the day will come when a show exclusive will elude my grasp so I'll hold on to my bartering set for those occasions.

FER SURE

Reaction score
Thats what I'm doing with my Beakers when I go to the Chicago show. I would much rather trade with people I know then dole out the benjamins to a stranger. I hope that this is the last time I have to pay the big bucks. If not, Cest la Vie.

Luke

Reaction score
Yes MM, i realise my plan has some rather large flaws too. I guess Palisades could have suprised people with being allowed a Dr Teeth rather than telling them to email in and get one. So people emailed in asking for a second run on the Dr Teeths but there was so few people that they were surprised with an email saying yes they can buy one from the original run via mail order.

I guess that would only ever work the once though as the second time around the fans would be more savvy. Maybe running a competition, drawing people at random, or awarding prizes for contributing to the 'daily bit' could be an option - if they don't do that already.

I realise that all this exclusiveness can't be stopped though and they are gonna end up on Ebay in the end - it's a way of life i guess !

Beaker 78

Reaction score
Dr Teeth Repaint

There still going for around $40-$45. I really don't see the price going down anytime soon. What do you guys/gals think about this?

Kelly