One of the things I really like about Christmas Carol and Treasure Island

rexcrk

Reaction score
One of the things I really like about those movies is how they take the original story, and change things around for the Muppets.
For example, in Christmas Carol, there's only one Marley, but in Muppet Christmas Carol they made it so there were two Marley's so that Statler and Waldorf could do that part. And in Treasure Island, it's Ben Gunn, but in Muppet Treasure Island they make it Benjamina Gunn so it could be Miss Piggy. Another thing I love in MTI is how they add the rats so they could have it like a cruise ship. :big_grin: Love those Muppets!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the genius of Jerry Juhl. The Muppets have been adapting classic stories since the days of "Hey Cinderella" and "The Frog Prince".

Beauregard

Reaction score
I wish they would do more, I really do. And when they team up with Disney to produce these, they come out with such quality that is often missing in the other films, particually MFS and KSY :grouchy: .

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
One of the things I really like about those movies is how they take the original story, and change things around for the Muppets.
For example, in Christmas Carol, there's only one Marley, but in Muppet Christmas Carol they made it so there were two Marley's so that Statler and Waldorf could do that part. And in Treasure Island, it's Ben Gunn, but in Muppet Treasure Island they make it Benjamina Gunn so it could be Miss Piggy. Another thing I love in MTI is how they add the rats so they could have it like a cruise ship. :big_grin: Love those Muppets!
I sort of agree. Ever since I saw MTI, I wanted to read the original story and compare it to the movie. But, I haven't had a chance to do that. I really hadn't realized there couldn't have been a Benjamina Gunn in the story until I watched an episode of "Hollywood Squares" where they said that there were no females in the story. That's really strange.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I wish they would do more, I really do. And when they team up with Disney to produce these, they come out with such quality that is often missing in the other films, particually MFS and KSY :grouchy: .
I also wish they would do more stories "Muppetified" I think either a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter Muppet movie would be cool :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
...where they said that there were no females in the story. That's really strange....
Jim's Mother is a female...

wockawocka

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
I also wish they would do more stories "Muppetified" I think either a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter Muppet movie would be cool :smile:
Harry Potter muppet movie, wow, that'd be weird! Who would play who? That'd be great to see, it'd be so funny! :smile:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
That would be *sooo* cool!!! :cool: Harry Potter would be awesome (I could see Sweetums making a groovy Hagrid, whaddya think?), and Lord of the Rings would be even better! I wonder who would be good for that... I can see Miss Piggy as Eowyn delivering the fatal blow to the Witch-King with much enthusiasm. But it might be tough for her to mask her femininity that long... :stick_out_tongue:
Erin

MustangRockstar

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
That would be *sooo* cool!!! :cool: Harry Potter would be awesome (I could see Sweetums making a groovy Hagrid, whaddya think?), and Lord of the Rings would be even better! I wonder who would be good for that... I can see Miss Piggy as Eowyn delivering the fatal blow to the Witch-King with much enthusiasm. But it might be tough for her to mask her femininity that long... :stick_out_tongue:
Erin
Personally i think what makes them enjoyable is atmosphere. To me that is the single biggest quality in a good movie.

In christmas carol you felt like you were there, right down to the dark allies. Same with TI, you felt like you were lost on the island. Good movies have it, and all my favorite ones do.

BladeRunner, Pirates of the caribbean, etc. you felt those places.

It's a formula that especially in interactive entertainment is being explored. Games like GTA, the simpsons hit and run, the sims, simcity, etc. They submerge you in a world, and humans love it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MustangRockstar said:
Personally i think what makes them enjoyable is atmosphere. To me that is the single biggest quality in a good movie.

In christmas carol you felt like you were there, right down to the dark allies. Same with TI, you felt like you were lost on the island. Good movies have it, and all my favorite ones do.
Those were what I think were best about the movie. That's pretty much what MFS sort of lacked. The only 2 places were the Muppet Boarding house and the Covnet reasearch facility. I didn't feel like I was a part of either, just a viewer.

However, the one thing about MFS I liked more than the the "Book" movies is that the Muppets were stars in the movie.

To me, MCC seemed like a play with humans and Muppet Guest stars. The Muppets were there, but they felt like they were just there as supporting roles and backup characters.

MTI was more Muppety. The Muppets actually out numbered tthe Humans in speaking parts, but they were still costars, not stars. At least Kermit had a scene with Piggy that lasted longer than a minute...