The Muppet Show airs daily in Toronto starting September 1st

Animal

Reaction score
Hi! :smile:

The Sherlock Holmes sketch of the Joel Grey episode is not the UK Skit! Is is in fact the song "Pachalafaka", which they cut out as you say...!

I know some people say it´s the Sherlock Holmes sketch that is the UK Skit, because some airings has cut that sketch, and some airings has cut the song.
But it is "Pachalafaka"!!!

-Hans :halo: :halo: :halo:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Regarding which skit in the Joel Grey episode is the "UK skit" both answers (Pachalafaka vs Sherlock Holmes) are in a sense "correct".

When the show was being made, Henson no doubt had Pachalafaka in mind as the UK skit given its nature and traditional placement in the show.

But when the Joel Grey episode originally aired in the US, it contained Pachalafaka and omitted Sherlock Holmes. (This is why Sherlock is referenced as the UK skit in MC's episode guide). Note this was the case in the original US broadcast...it's quite possible that other countries that didn't air the UK sketches in the show's original '70's broadcast cut the shows differently...

...In fact in the original broadcasts, Canada and USA did choose different material to cut out. I lived in Ohio at the time (right on the lakeshore) so i was able to watch both the USA and the Canadian broadcasts on CBC. Sometimes the Canadian broadcasts cut the standard UK skit and other times they left it in and cut something else (it was always a treat for me to watch the Canadian broadcasts to see if i could catch an extra act!)

Unfortunately, i didn't start watching The Muppet Show on CBC until season 4 so i can't tell you what the original Canadian broadcast ommitted in the Joel Grey episode. Due to the "reconfiguration" of the present Canadian broadcasts (showing newer themes) they're obviously not pulling out the original tapes from the vaults so the distributing entity probably automatically cut the first act of the second half (traditionally the UK skit) or the station may be making the call (as was the case when Nickelodeon aired the episodes in the '90's - they were given the full episodes and were able to cut them as they wanted.) So if any Canadians remember watching the original broadcasts, you may want to see if you can catch some sketches you didn't see the first time around way back when!

dbarrie

Reaction score
Tonight I saw the Florence Henderson ep., and it included Rowlf's "Cottleston Pie" musical number! This is one of my favourite musical moments from TMS, and it's also a UK skit! The skit that was cut from the CTS broadcast was Fozzie's Monologue w/ S&W. Otherwise, I have no complaints because overall I think it's one of the best episodes from the 1st season. :smile:

MahnaMahna

Reaction score
It seems that we are generally not getting UK sketches. Each episode is clocking in at about 23:00. They are showing the same type of opening credits for the first season that are on the TL DVD's. Same S&W crack EVERY DAY as well as the same Gonzo gag each day.

When TMS aired in Canada in 1993 (YTV), we got episodes that were about 25:00 long, including a lot of UK sketches as well as original first season opening credits. I only managed to record the 5th season, however they are not in great shape.

I'm not complaining, it is nice to get good, crisp copies of everything not yet on DVD from the satellite!

Mark

mikealan

Reaction score
Muppet Show off America TV

I know that The Muppet Show is certainly in Toronto, Canada, but I am really, REALLY upset that American TV is never showing The Muppet Show and Fraggle Rock ever again, because of the Odyseey Channel changing into the Hallmark Channel!

Lu775

Reaction score
Hey, did anyone notice a weird cut in last night's episode?
A scene with Rowlf and Robin, singing "Someone to watch over me", started, but was then cut suddenly for an ad, and after the break they came back to another scene. What happened to the Robin number? (or was this the UK sketch?)

dbarrie

Reaction score
Yes, that was the UK skit that was only partially shown on CTS' broadcast last night. It's a shame that they're cutting out most of the UK skits for commercial space. I don't know what else happened in that skit, because I don't recall seeing it before. Probably not much.

Lu775 said:
Hey, did anyone notice a weird cut in last night's episode?
A scene with Rowlf and Robin, singing "Someone to watch over me", started, but was then cut suddenly for an ad, and after the break they came back to another scene. What happened to the Robin number? (or was this the UK sketch?)

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Lu775 said:
Nope, we're not seeing that original theme, with Fozzie's joke.
We're getting the theme with a Statdler and Waldorf crack, the normal arches, and Gonzo blowing a trumpet (with a different gag each time).
This is actually quite annoying. Anyone know why the original openings have been trashed? The only evidence I have left of any of them is on the Muppet Show LP! In fact, they've almost been showing the SAME opening every time, so when transferring these to VCD I've just not bothered. (How many times do we have to see Gonzo blow water out of the trumpet, anyway?)