Dark Crystal Collector's Edition DVD Box Set

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Columbia Tri-Star is releasing a new DVD box set of the Dark Crystal. It will contain "senitype and Jim Henson original notes in collector's box". The slated release date is November 25th.

That's all the information from Columbia I have so far. Will let you know when we find out more.

Patty

Reaction score
Holy cow! That's great news, if a little baffling.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, especially since this will be the third Dark Crystal DVD release since 1999.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Wow! Great news! I will have to put this on my Christmas List! I'm so glad they are paying attention to "The Dark Crystal"! It would be nice if they could make some more Toys from the movie also.

Jake

Patty

Reaction score
Yeah, especially since this will be the third Dark Crystal DVD release since 1999.
Exactly. Hopefully it's packed with great stuff.

I know some people/reviewers were really critical of both the standard DVD and the superbit. There were lots of complaints about scratches and such. Frankly, I love the standard DVD package -- it was the best presentation of the film since its theatrical release. The scratches are only glaring if you look for them. And the DVD came with the deleted scenes and documentary.

So maybe they're putting out another DVD with a cleaner image.

This is a region 1 DVD, right?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it will be region 1. At this time, I have no idea if any other countries will see this special release or not.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I hope it has commentary by Brain, Frank (that is if healthy), George Lucus, Dave and others that helped in making it. That would be cool if that started new DVDs of movies like Follow that Bird. I would love to hear commentary on that movie.

Patty

Reaction score
George Lucas worked on Labyrinth, not Dark Crystal. Besides, Lucas gives AWFUL commentaries, even on films he made.

A Froud/Kurtz/Oz commentary would be great.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Phil.

This would be an excellent oppurtunity to present the newer cleaned up print of the film (as was recently premiered in France and attended by the Frouds), but I'd bet the farm that it's just the 1999 release in a Collector's Box with 8x10s, Jim's notes, certificate of authenticity, etc. If the Numenorean CD hadn't been a limited release, I'd say they might package that in too, but probably not.

Habidabad

Reaction score
Patty said:
George Lucas worked on Labyrinth, not Dark Crystal. Besides, Lucas gives AWFUL commentaries, even on films he made.

A Froud/Kurtz/Oz commentary would be great.
Actually, George Lucas dropped by an early screening of "The Dark Crystal" and offered several suggestions that Henson gladly incorporated into the final version of the film.

I'm hoping that this new DVD will contain more deleted scenes. I have a work print of the original edit of the film and it has 7 minutes of extra footage and the original soundtrack (which has yet to be released). It also contains different voices (Aughra is neither Frank Oz or Billie Whitlaw; Kira's singing in the boat is also different) and different lines that follow the original script!