Factory Countdown

mikealan

Reaction score
When I watched the extra SS from 1992 on the rest of my tape, I've discovered an animated counting skit, probably from 1989, until it was off in 1997 and here's how it went:

We see the outside of the factory that had a '10' on it. Then we peek through the inside of the factory where hands take out pieces of dirt and put it in the container that had a '9' on it. Then they shake it and there was an '8' on the other side of the container. Next the dirt comes into the vaccuum that had eyes and had a '7' on top. The dirt then oozes into liquid into the cup that had a '6' on it. I think it joined with a tomato and goes into the pipe that had a '5' and into a machine that had a '4'. Next that part of the liquid became a ball and bounces on a short trampoline that had a '3' on it. The ball then lands on the wall and had a '2'. The hands then make something you'll see and one of them had a magnifying glass to sneak at the '1'. Then we see a '0'. The '0' then falls into the convenor next to one to form the '10' again and we see all of the numbers countdown to '0' falling down the conveyor and the hand waves at them.

Remember that animated sketch?

ssetta

Reaction score
I do!!! I've been looking for that one!!! Which one is it on???

MuppetDude

Reaction score
It can be found on the video "Kids' Favorite Songs".

ssetta

Reaction score
You know, I think I actually knew that. But what in the world would it be doing on that video?

Elizabeth

Reaction score
ssetta said:
You know, I think I actually knew that. But what in the world would it be doing on that video?

On that video, Elmo is doing a "Top 10" countdown on the radio. Everyone thinks he is going to count down his top 10 favorite songs, but really all he is going to do is count from 10 to 1 on the radio. Hence the factory countdown sketch.

A regularly viewed video in our household! :smile: I like the three pigs singing "This Little Pig went to Market"

Elizabeth :halo:

ssetta

Reaction score
This video doesn't have any other classic clips, does it?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As a master counter, I remember this animated segment cause it was shown waaaay back when my sight better, which is why I'd like to help fill in the gap presented here concerning the part of the number 0. OK, the rubbery plastic mass hit the wall where we saw the number 2, then got scraped off the wall, got inspected by the hands holding a magnifying glass, and we see the number 1 on the glass as the plastic gets shaped into a circular or ovaled form. Then the plastic panel passes to a platform where the left handed glove holds it in place and the right handed glove comes down with a hammerlike stamper. The flat circular top of the stamper is where we see the actual number 0 which forms part of the numbers seen during this animated segment. But then, the stamper lifts from the plastic panel carrying away with it the excess mass as we see that a giant hole was punched into the plastic making it into a replica number 0. This duplicate 0 then falls onto the conveyor belt next to a number 1 to form a number 10 as the numbers in perfect descending order fall off the belt. Oh, and though the numbers fall or are counted off in perfect descending order, we see them all on the conveyor belt in perfect ascending order.
Hope this helps and have a good night.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
ssetta said:
This video doesn't have any other classic clips, does it?
There are 2 other animated sketches counting down from 10 to 1 on that one
(I just fast forwarded the whole video to check it out, with my daughter in the background saying, "Stop Mommy, Stop it!") One of them is dancing African masks, and another is undersea, with different underwater things forming numbers.

Kids Fave Songs 2 is an interesting mix of "live" footage with Elmo and the kids and other muppets singing interspersed with lots of animation, don't know how "vintage" the animated clips are, none that I recognize from "my day" (Ya know, like "the Alligator king" or "the King of 8")

Elizabeth :smile:

ssetta

Reaction score
Hmm. Maybe I'll have to check it out sometime. I am often surprised on how many classic clips these things have on them. Check out the CD-Rom "Sesame Street: Numbers". It doesn't have Factory Countdown, but it sure does have a lot of wierd clips.