Rare animated films (not shown on Noggin)

prickle747

Reaction score
tv channels in my area that aired non-noggin stuff were

2 channels: CBC & Treehouse

when 30 years of sesame street came around old skits surfaced
this year being 35 who knows ? anybodys guess :smile:

i think CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) has a massive s.s. archive collection since non-noggin skits were found there the most.

I grew up watching s.s. on CBC that was the main TV Station at the time..........as many of us in Canada would agree.

Zet

Reaction score
Saginaw said:
Zet, I remember that. :big_grin: Thank you.

You have such an incredible memory of classic Sesame Street that I believe you and a few others here could be the key archivists. I'd vote for ya! :wink:
thanks Saginaw. I have a decent memory I guess, don't know about incredible :wink:
The post I made about the girl w/cat & balloon films I haven't seen since childhood...didn't remember everything on those.
I've seen people write about remembering the year a certain film was first shown...and this was before Noggin!

Saginaw said:
I remember another short clip, but it wasn't animated. See if you can remember it, too. I hope y'all don't mind.

All it featured was a hand (it looked like a man's hand), but there was a female voiceover. The voice described how the hand could do things, like wiggle it's fingers, wave, and so on, and the hand did those things. Then the voice described how the hand was lonely, whereby another hand appeared, introduced by some type of organ-like synthesizer music (it was very pretty music). Then the two hands clapped, first slowly, then quickly, then the sound of applause filled the air, then subsided.

By the way these posts are going, I'm gonna bet that those were Jim Henson's hands and that was another one of his interesting and creative ideas.

He sure was greatness. :cool:
yeah he was...I wouldn't be surprised if it was him doing the hands either. I definitely remember & like that one. The narrator is Skip Hinnant (sp?) of Electric Company fame. It was shown on Noggin btw.

Zet

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Hi, Zet. Glad I could help with the memories. Unfortunately, they are just that. I don't have either of those old cartoons. Hopefully we can get them soon. Take care.
Hi GeeBee...yeah hopefully they will materialize.
I remember pre-Noggin days thinking most of the old stuff was gone for good (as far as the public was concerned), because they would never show old episodes of Sesame Street...it would be like showing old episodes of any show that ran daily i.e. a soap opera.

Well flash-forward a few years, and we had old Sesame, Electric Co., etc... rerun on Noggin (and even a network with the old soap operas).

So...never say never I guess. :big_grin:
-Z

prickle747

Reaction score
prickle747 said:
tv channels in my area that aired non-noggin stuff were

2 channels: CBC & Treehouse

when 30 years of sesame street came around old skits surfaced
this year being 35 who knows ? anybodys guess :smile:

i think CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) has a massive s.s. archive collection since non-noggin skits were found there the most.

I grew up watching s.s. on CBC that was the main TV Station at the time..........as many of us in Canada would agree.
another show just came to mind :

sesame park ran on CBC as well.......... :smile:

Jennifer

Reaction score
Zet said:
Not to nitpick or anything, but it's not madrigal music. I've seen people refer to that alphabet one as "madrigal alphabet" but neither it nor the Simon one are unaccompanied vocal pieces, as they both obviously have music. In fact a madrigal is for more than one voice, and the alphabet one only has one voice (and Simon one doesn't have any singing).
I call the alphabet one "Medievel Alphabet" because that's roughly the time period the music reminds me of (Simon too). And King Minus.
I've grown to call that one "A Midsummer Night's Alphabet", because the music and the general fairy/moonlight theme reminds me of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's one of my favorites!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
More John Magnuson info

Zet said:
OK gotcha...actually I should have had a question mark at the end of the subject, since I don't have all the unpaved eps., so I don't know if ones I mentioned were shown...I just didn't recall seing them mentioned.

I'm curious about your source for the John Magneusson info.
Does your source have any further info about him? Like I said I'm a big fan of the Yo-yo guy film & I can't find a mention of a John Magneusson on the web. I'm curious if he (or animator) ever did anything else (non-Sesame street).
Also wondered if your source had any further info on Jazzy Spies music (musicians, etc...).
Before Sesame Street, John Magnuson was also involved in one of Lenny Bruce's last projects before he died, an animated short called "Thank You Masked Man", which was a hilarious spoof on the Lone Ranger. The short was released in May 1968 and was shown before various Warner Brothers feature films, and got quite a lot of exposure in San Francisco, where Magnuson's studio was. The cartoon is peppered with some pretty colorful language, but worth checking out. It covers a lot of subjects that today's politically correct climate wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

One of the characters eventually was used in a Sesame Street clip. In the late 70's, there was a cartoon of a man playing a violin, and he does a jig while playing real fast, and the film ends with all his strings breaking.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
Before Sesame Street, John Magnuson was also involved in one of Lenny Bruce's last projects before he died, an animated short called "Thank You Masked Man", which was a hilarious spoof on the Lone Ranger. The short was released in May 1968 and was shown before various Warner Brothers feature films, and got quite a lot of exposure in San Francisco, where Magnuson's studio was. The cartoon is peppered with some pretty colorful language, but worth checking out. It covers a lot of subjects that today's politically correct climate wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.
I have a copy of this short. I read in one of my ASIFA newsletters awhile ago that it was going to be shown at the SF Film Festival in '68, but because of all the controversy it was causing, they pulled it out at the last minute even though it was listed in the program. One of the programmers must have really hated Lenny Bruce's humor. When it wasn't shown, Magnusson (I think) threw a fit, running up and down the aisle yelling something like, "They crucified Lenny when he was alive, and now that he is dead they are screwing him again!"

fuzzygobo said:
One of the characters eventually was used in a Sesame Street clip. In the late 70's, there was a cartoon of a man playing a violin, and he does a jig while playing real fast, and the film ends with all his strings breaking.
I noticed that when I first saw Mask Man at a local screening sometime in '03. I thought it was so cool!

SesameMike

Reaction score
Seal at amusement center, letter S

Does anyone remember an animation of a seal who was giving a lecture on the letter S?

The seal spoke to us from some kind of amusement ride midway at either an amusement park, carnival, or fair; it wasn't very clear to me at the time. He was actually speaking to us from a sky ride of some sort, only this one seemed to be more of a sealed cube than the usual open-top cable car. I think he even had to open the side of the cube to talk to us.

All through this sequence we heard that standard carnival music in 3:4 time (Calliope?), except when he told us a story about the letter S with accompanying animation. A bunch of Sailors spotted a Schoolyard with their telescope. All at once they got on the "SUHH-LIDE!". And all played on the See-Saw, three sailors on each side. (Editor's note: that teeter-totter must have made been from mighty strong material to withstand the weight of 6 sailors without buckling. Let's see, 6 men @200 lbs each = 1200 lbs.)

After the story, when we returned to that sky ride thingy, the seal announced he was going to get a "Sandwich.... another nifty S word."

Xerus

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Does anyone remember an animation of a seal who was giving a lecture on the letter S?

The seal spoke to us from some kind of amusement ride midway at either an amusement park, carnival, or fair; it wasn't very clear to me at the time. He was actually speaking to us from a sky ride of some sort, only this one seemed to be more of a sealed cube than the usual open-top cable car. I think he even had to open the side of the cube to talk to us.

All through this sequence we heard that standard carnival music in 3:4 time (Calliope?), except when he told us a story about the letter S with accompanying animation. A bunch of Sailors spotted a Schoolyard with their telescope. All at once they got on the "SUHH-LIDE!". And all played on the See-Saw, three sailors on each side. (Editor's note: that teeter-totter must have made been from mighty strong material to withstand the weight of 6 sailors without buckling. Let's see, 6 men @200 lbs each = 1200 lbs.)

After the story, when we returned to that sky ride thingy, the seal announced he was going to get a "Sandwich.... another nifty S word."
Yes, I remember that cartoon very well from my youth. :smile: That box the seal was in was probably the same one wheeled box used in cartoons like One Way and Wet Paint. I would so love to see that classic S cartoon again. Does anyone out there have it on video?

Rugby

Reaction score
Wow! Old thread, but even older clips! You guys really brought back some memories. I had forgotten most of those animated clips and some of the non-animated muppet ones mentioned. Thanks!