The Big 5 (and why it bugs me)

turlem

Reaction score
Originally, back in the 70's the big 5 were Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Piggy, and Rowlf. these 5 made the muppet show what it was(as well as scooter, who waas certainly the 6th). But since henson's death Animal has replaced Rowlf, and now, somehow i think pepe has squeezed in. I love these two, don't get me wrong. Animal is great for little sketches and punchlines, they knew this in the past and that's why i think animal became so loved, for those priceless moments. With MFS his role was too big in my opinion, but it was perfect in The NBC movie. As for pepe, he works in longer sequences, but i think if they over-do it w/ him, i'll get sick of him, he's great, but i think if he gets too much exposure people will tire of him. The point of this thread is, i guess to say i want to see the big 5 restored to it's original roster. The fact that svooter's back thrills me, now it's just time for rowlf to return(bill baretta does an adequite rowlf, and i think we'd all prefer a slightly-different sounding rowlf than none at all). I'm not saying eliminate pepe, just bring him down to about sam's level, or about where johnny and sal are.

P.s. i did consider rizzo, but i think he's just part of gonzo now(and it's for the better of both of them), so i'm not icluding him in the 5 i've listed.

and can baretta sing? i hope so, otherwise rowlf will need someone else

rexcrk

Reaction score
I kinda noticed that too. It'd be cool if the "original 5" were restored :smile: . But I also like having Rizzo and Gonzo as a duo too :big_grin:

turlem

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
I kinda noticed that too. It'd be cool if the "original 5" were restored :smile: . But I also like having Rizzo and Gonzo as a duo too :big_grin:

oh me too. i just counted that duo an one. it enhances both characters i think

Fireimps87

Reaction score
I wanna know how Gonzo and Rizzo became great friends. I mean Rizzo's big role in the movies happened in TMTM and Gonzo hardly knew him.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
turlem said:
and can baretta sing? i hope so, otherwise rowlf will need someone else
Bill Barretta sang quite frequently during Muppets Tonight, and besides, Jim Henson never thought he could sing anyway. He most certainly could, and it was hilarious/touching/whatever to hear him do so.

turlem

Reaction score
Fireimps87 said:
I wanna know how Gonzo and Rizzo became great friends. I mean Rizzo's big role in the movies happened in TMTM and Gonzo hardly knew him.
in MCC, when they decided Gonzo would narrate, they needed someone for him to talk to, but wasn't a character in the film, and couldn't be so big that he took away from gonzo, Rizzo(who was little known at the time) was a perfect choice

turlem

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Bill Barretta sang quite frequently during Muppets Tonight, and besides, Jim Henson never thought he could sing anyway. He most certainly could, and it was hilarious/touching/whatever to hear him do so.
as what characters? i've never heard him sing, and MT is but a vague memeory.

I'm very glad to hear this though, rowlf's character revolves on his soothing melodies and gentle, heartfelt singing(as well as horrible jokes)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Johnny Fiama, several ocassions; Bobo sang "I'm a Believer"; Pepe sang his usual duet with Seymour:

"I'm Seymour,
I'm Pepe
We're two of a kind!
I'm a little bit forward
And I've got a big behind."

as well as the numerous re-workings of that song.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Johnny Fiama, several ocassions; Bobo sang "I'm a Believer"; Pepe sang his usual duet with Seymour:

"I'm Seymour,
I'm Pepe
We're two of a kind!
I'm a little bit forward

Daydream beleiver by Bobo probably would give people the best Idea of what he would sound like as Rowlf...and that's cool, cause it was really good and funny! :smile:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:

"I'm Seymour,
I'm Pepe
We're two of a kind!
I'm a little bit forward

Those aren;t exactly great singing moments for Bill. They were all more like comedy singing. I don't know if he can sing like Rowlf. Maybe, but only he knows.

I too wondered when Gonzo and Rizzo became friends. Were they paired up in Muppet Vision 3D? I know that they make a pretty good pairing for some reason. They work well together as characters.

I don't remember (because I wasn't alive at the time) Rowlf ever being part of the main 5. Infact I never even saw a main five. I saw the main 4 muppets together all the time. Gonzo, Fozzie, Piggy, and Kermit. This might be due to me love of GMC though. I usually look to GMC when it comes to ranking characters.

Pepe had a large part in AVMMC, but not really that much. A good chunk of the movie was mostly classic characters. They didn't even show Pepe in the Kermitless world. Animal needed a little more time in the movie. Rowlf definatly did. It would have been nice to see a bit more Bobo as well, but overall it was a great mix.