Ed Sullivan DVD: Early Sesame characters

beaker

Reaction score
I was amazed to see how many early versions of Sesame characters were on the Ed Sullivan dvd.

Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Prairie Dawn, Grover, and Slimey. All we needed on their was teed off Bert and toxic orange Oscar and we'd be set.

I forget the 'Santa Claus Switch' name of the green OScar(looks like him, voiced the same by Oz, just he's a thief), and I guess Cookie was into eating computers before eating cookies^_^;;

Splurge

Reaction score
beaker said:
I was amazed to see how many early versions of Sesame characters were on the Ed Sullivan dvd.

Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Prairie Dawn, Grover, and Slimey. All we needed on their was teed off Bert and toxic orange Oscar and we'd be set.

I forget the 'Santa Claus Switch' name of the green OScar(looks like him, voiced the same by Oz, just he's a thief), and I guess Cookie was into eating computers before eating cookies^_^;;
Maybe he was searching for computer cookies. :big_grin:
(ducks for cover)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
beaker said:

Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Prairie Dawn, Grover, and Slimey. All we needed on their was teed off Bert and toxic orange Oscar and we'd be set...I guess Cookie was into eating computers before eating cookies^_^;;
That was the actual original Big Bird Kermit Love built (I think Kermit did the original at least). The Cookie and Grover monsters were I think "trunk puppets" that often got dropped in to sketches until they eventually developed permanent personalities during the early days of Sesame Street. The worm looked almost exactly like Slimey does today, didn't he?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember Phil posted in his review on the main site that Ed made a comment towards Big Bird that was possibly the reason for him not coming back.....

What was it?

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I remember Phil posted in his review on the main site that Ed made a comment towards Big Bird that was possibly the reason for him not coming back.....

What was it?
"If he doesn't get off the stage I'll flip him the bird."

He smiled after he said it...I don't think it was meant to be disparaging but rather another when of Ed's awkward attempts at humor. If you watch some of the complete shows available, heck, even the clips, you'll see he could be a rather stiff compere...which is part of his charm.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd probably have to see the skit to understand it, but it was still uncalled for... :boo: :sleep: :attitude:

muppet maniac

Reaction score

--------------------------------

The "Monster Trashcan Dance" skit might be where Oscar the Grouch originated from.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I'd probably have to see the skit to understand it, but it was still uncalled for... :boo: :sleep: :attitude:
Update... I've watched the skit quite some time ago... I guess his comment WAS called for... GAHH....