New Henson Region 2 DVD's coming this January

King Prawn

Reaction score
You know what i've just realised, the new Muppet DVD coming January is titled "The Best of The Muppets Volume 3" not "THe Very Best of The Muppet Show Volime 3" whilst the other two were titled like the later.

Just something to think about, I doubt it but maybe it'll have nothing to do with The Muppet Show?

anathema

Reaction score
Desite the title on the actual discs, the first two are usually listed as "The Best Of The Muppets" as well.

Gusworld

Reaction score
If Vol 3 does include full episodes, it's probably safe to assume that they'll try and pick guest stars who have a wide following so they can sell more copies. I'm sure the 'Star Wars' episode was included on Vol 1 because it would sell to Star Wars completists (a bigger group, I suspect, than Muppets completists, though obviously there's some overlap via Yoda). Similarly, Roger Moore on Vol. 2 appeals to Bond fanatics.

From that point of view, Julie Andrews and John Cleese could be good choices (to catch Sound Of Music and Python buffs).

And a thought on episode editing: while including full episodes eliminates the need to pay for editing, it ratchets up the cost of paying for music licensing -- which can be a major problem for DVDs (and even videos, as Muppet Family Christmas demonstrates). The preponderance of Pigs In Space and Vets Hospital on the first two volumes might be because it's cheaper than paying the costs required to clear certain songs.

As for the Fraggles, what would be really cool would be to use DVD branching technologies so that the Workshop scenes from all the international editions were included, and you could choose which versions you wanted. Unlikely to happen though, as again artist clearance costs would go up and most people probably just want to view the version they grew up with!

Cheers
Gus

anathema

Reaction score
Gusworld said:
As for the Fraggles, what would be really cool would be to use DVD branching technologies so that the Workshop scenes from all the international editions were included, and you could choose which versions you wanted. Unlikely to happen though, as again artist clearance costs would go up and most people probably just want to view the version they grew up with!

Cheers
Gus
Given what would be involved, it's pretty much an impossibility to do that with DVD. It's not simply a question of cutting away to the alternative scene; there are normally dissolves and soundtrack problems in there too. Even if it could be done, it would be extremely time-consuming and hence expensive to do.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
King Prawn said:
You know what i've just realised, the new Muppet DVD coming January is titled "The Best of The Muppets Volume 3" not "THe Very Best of The Muppet Show Volime 3" whilst the other two were titled like the later.
Play.com have it listed as The Very Best of the Muppet Show Vol. 3 and they've had it listed that way for quite some time.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=143771&p=57&c=&g=72

Also on the subject of Fraggle DVDs - I find it very unlikely we'll see branching versions. However there are a lot of DVDs over here of classic childrens TV that get released in either full series or continuing volumes (Danger Mouse springs to mind of continuing DVD volumes) - so hopefully Columbia TriStar UK will look at the UK market for classic "kid's" TV and follow suit... :excited:

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
I just looked at the official Columbia Tri-Star Home Entertainment site and this's what they say on the Best of TMS Vol. 3 :

The Muppet Show

Cast : The Muppets , Diana Ross, Linda Carter & Johnny Cash
RUNNING TIME : 150 mins
CATALOG No. : CDRP1259
CLOSE CAPTIONED : Yes
MENU LANGUAGE: English
LANGUAGE : English
AUDIO OPTIONS : Stereo
NUMBER OF DISKS : 1
ASPECT RATIO : 1.33:1
TYPE : DVD5
SPECIAL FEATURES :
Diana Ross, Linda Carter & Johnny Cash episodes
2nd half of Muppet Fairy Tales

info : cthe.co.uk

alexmongers

Reaction score
MuppetDanny said:
I just looked at the official Columbia Tri-Star Home Entertainment site and this's what they say on the Best of TMS Vol. 3 :
hey this is interesting stuff. this is the 1st best of in the uk that has 3 episodes. doesn't mention an edited together compilation of sketches, (although you could count the 30 years special as one). could this be the start of dvds filled with episodes like the tri stars in america? might be. whaddya think? that would be just what we want. also the choice of episodes is interesting. hmv released a box set of 28 shows. the diana ross and johnny cash eps are not on that. hmmm.....

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
The second volume of The StoryTeller DVD will be released on 17th May 2004 along with Mega Muppets: 4 movie box set (Muppet Movie, Muppets in Space, Muppets take Manhattan, Great Muppet Caper) on the 3rd May 2004