Episode 1364

WV52575

Reaction score
For my first post, I watched some of the Unpaved shows(primarily 69-75).
Unfortunately, I missed the Star Wars episodes when they aired. I was even more frustrated when one of the sketches that was posted for #1364 happened to be one of my favorites, the Spanish J sketch! You know, the one with the Spanish words and someone saying "jota minuscula" about five times while the j's are playing. At the end there was "ja ja" in with the "aja" part laughed at the first j. I remember seeing it for about five years(1980-85).Any idea when this Spanish animation was first seen? Do they still show the other old j skits like the Jamboree, the Jughead skit, and the J-train which wrecks and turns into junk?

billyk

Reaction score
Welcome WV!

I sort of recall the "Jughead" sketch but not the others. But, do you or any of the others remember the "J is for Jacket" animated skit? ("Jenny & Jeff stay away from that Jacket")

ssetta

Reaction score
There's another sketch I really liked after the J Minuscula skit. Remember the film with kids making a kite with 10 parts on a beach, and it had guitar music? I loved that. I wonder where it was filmed.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
WV52575 said:
For my first post, I watched some of the Unpaved shows(primarily 69-75).
Unfortunately, I missed the Star Wars episodes when they aired. I was even more frustrated when one of the sketches that was posted for #1364 happened to be one of my favorites, the Spanish J sketch! You know, the one with the Spanish words and someone saying "jota minuscula" about five times while the j's are playing. At the end there was "ja ja" in with the "aja" part laughed at the first j. I remember seeing it for about five years(1980-85).Any idea when this Spanish animation was first seen? Do they still show the other old j skits like the Jamboree, the Jughead skit, and the J-train which wrecks and turns into junk?
To answer your question, currently, they do not still show the classic "J" segments, such as "J-miniscula", "Jughead", or "J-J-Junk" skits.

Unless a sketch is REALLY classic, like the Pinball Count, Ladybug Picnic, or the occasional Ernie/Bert sketch from the early '70's, SESAME STREET of 2003 has really weeded out anything outdated.

It's really pathetic.

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
To answer your question, currently, they do not still show the classic "J" segments, such as "J-miniscula", "Jughead", or "J-J-Junk" skits.

Unless a sketch is REALLY classic, like the Pinball Count, Ladybug Picnic, or the occasional Ernie/Bert sketch from the early '70's, SESAME STREET of 2003 has really weeded out anything outdated.

It's really pathetic.
Just an aside regarding the "Jughead" segment. I presume you're referring to an animated segment featuring Jughead from Archie Comics. When I got Noggin, I saw this segment (again) for the very first time in "Sesame Street Unpaved" show #2356 (from 1987). Even though I was 20 years old then and wouldn't have seen that episode in its original run (I was a viewer circa 1969-1975 or so) I remembered it and was very glad to see that segment as well as surprised, because (and younger fans might not even know this) the animated segment with Jughead looks like it was done by the same studio (Filmation) that produced the Archie TV shows that ran on Saturday mornings in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The character design and animation are the same, and it's Howard Morris (the original cartoon voice of Jughead Jones) doing the voice. The Archie cartoons were as cold as yesterday's soup by 1987, and that's why I was surprised to see that segment in that episode. It definitely dates to around 1970 or so. I even think I remember seeing it as a kid. I also remember (though I haven't seen it in years) another animated segment (and I can't remember what it was about) with Batman and Robin around the same time, that is around 1970. I think it was also done by Filmation (which doesn't surprise me at all) and probably featured the same voice actors who performed Batman and Robin in the late 1960s Filmation cartoon series (I believe they were Olan Soule as Batman and Casey Kasem as Robin).

I remember seeing some site somewhere that listed a lot of the animations on "Sesame Street" and what studios produced them, who directed them, etc. It would be really cool to find a *definitive* list of all the various film segments, Muppet segments, etc. I could go through my tapes and catalog them (in fact, I and others have already started to do this), but there must be dozens and dozens of them I haven't seen since I was a kid that I'd remember right away...and you probably would too.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

It's really pathetic.
Why is this pathetic? As I understand it, every year Sesame Workshop goes through their video archives of skits, looking for those considered dated in some way and either removes them from circulation or makes changes to them, depending on the nature and/or quality of the skit. Some skits just can't be used anymore because they're considered inappropriate, like Jim Henson's "baker falling down the stairs" counting skits. (not to mention the image quality of those skits also shows their age) And any skit involving characters like Don Music or Lefty would fall under this category as well. Also they also can't show anything that features ANY of the human cast members, past or present, for obvious reasons. Sometimes they can re-use an old skit, but they have to make a few minor changes too to make it more "current". I can't think of an an example of the top my head right now but I know it's been done.

This sort of thing is inevitable with a show like Sesame Street that's been around for more than three decades. The old skits might have a lot of appeal to nostalgic adults and teens, but nostalgia isn't really what Sesame Street is about. It also wouldn't make the staff of Sesame Workshop look good if they were just re-cycling so much of the same material over and over again and not producing a lot of new material.

Splurge

Reaction score
It's also important to note that there are less episodes in a season to put clips, classic or otherwise, into. 26 shows per season.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
That's true. And there's also less time per episode to air them in since they changed their format two seasons ago, which meant longer scenes, and also when you take into account that "Elmo's World" fills up the last 15-20 minutes of the show.

Censored

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
Why is this pathetic? As I understand it, every year Sesame Workshop goes through their video archives of skits, looking for those considered dated in some way and either removes them from circulation or makes changes to them, depending on the nature and/or quality of the skit. Some skits just can't be used anymore because they're considered inappropriate, like Jim Henson's "baker falling down the stairs" counting skits. (not to mention the image quality of those skits also shows their age) And any skit involving characters like Don Music or Lefty would fall under this category as well. Also they also can't show anything that features ANY of the human cast members, past or present, for obvious reasons. Sometimes they can re-use an old skit, but they have to make a few minor changes too to make it more "current". I can't think of an an example of the top my head right now but I know it's been done.

This sort of thing is inevitable with a show like Sesame Street that's been around for more than three decades. The old skits might have a lot of appeal to nostalgic adults and teens, but nostalgia isn't really what Sesame Street is about. It also wouldn't make the staff of Sesame Workshop look good if they were just re-cycling so much of the same material over and over again and not producing a lot of new material.

Actually, many people would not agree that a comedy sketch of a man falling down is "inappropriate" for anyone. The Lefty skits were actually very moralistic because he usually got the worst of it, proving that crime doesn't pay. I thought Don Music was pretty funny too and it's strange, but I grew up with him and I'm yet to bang my head on a piano.

I also don't see that it's so "obvious" why they can't show any skits with the old human cast. I've often wondered why Sesame Street always had to follow a soap opera format of a continuing saga anyway. Just show the skits.

I don't believe that the wants of nostalgic adults are at odds with the need for children to learn. If anything, we know what helped us learn and we want to pass it on to the next generation. Bring back the old days for kids and adults.