Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
Just read this on Ain't It Cool:
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=16331
This would be so SWEEEET! :big_grin:

The Muppet Wizard Of Oz... No, Really!

Hey folks... Harry here with the latest from those actors with a hand up their ***, that's right... THE MUPPETS... Seems this time they're planning on doing The Wizard Of Oz. Ok, so is Piggy playing Dorothy? Kermit the Scarefrog? Fozzie the Tinbear? Gonzo the Cowardly Whatever-He-Is? Or would Gonzo be the Wizard? Sounds like it could be wacky fun... Let's see what else we can find out!

Hey there Harry. This is a Muppet News Flash! It seems as though Kermit and the gang are up to their old tricks again. The Muppets are on their way to Hollywood…err well actually Vancouver, to begin shooting..you ready for this?… The Muppet Wizard of Oz. It's going to be another classic re-telling of a popular tale, similar to Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol. And being that MGM owns the rights to the movie songs, it's a good bet that it will be based on L. Frank Baum's original book, rather than the popular film. No word yet on whether it's going to be a theatrical, direct to video, or network presentation. Oh, and btw, you can call me The Muppet Newsman.

Beauregard

Reaction score
This is not true, right? Luke, someone tell me this isn't true.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
So what's wrong with the Muppets doing an adaptation of The Wizard of Oz?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Everything.

It would ruin the Muppet reputation, IMHO.

If they are going to do anoth clasic rendition, then do a rendition of something like Kidnapped, Oliver or Beauty and the Beast. Not The Wizard of Oz.

I thought I would always stand behind the Muppets, but if they do this, I'll be sorely dissapointed. I am waiting for confirmation then I'll air my deaper feelings on this topic...

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that last night too. Does anyone know more about this? The report on AICN didn't seem to have much support--I wasn't really sure where it came from. Anyway, I'd rather see the Muppets moving toward more projects where they play themselves, rather than pre-existing characters, but I'm still interested to see where this goes. A version of Wizard of Oz with the Muppets might work really well, especially if they have a great script with a sharp and irreverent wit.

:smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I have no problem with them playing others, and I guess part of my problem with this is that I am still thinking along the lines of the one song from the Muppet Show where Piggy was Dorethy (And looked good I might add) but with Fozzie as the Lion and Scooter as the Scarecrow I personally didn't like it very much. Though the TinWhatever fitted Gonz. down to the ground.

Well, we will see what the future holds...

Beauregard

Jrobert

Reaction score
Yes!

Okay, so I know this will open a whole new can of worms but i think it's a GREAT IDEA!!!

Many of you disagree that Muppet Christmas Carol and Treasure Island were great movies. But truth be told, people loved them! Maybe not die hard Jim Henson fans but they were good, they were true to the characters and they were popular!

The Muppets are wonderful at adapting well known stories and "muppetizing" them! They are hilarious and they make the story more entertaining because that's what the muppets do!

As for me, i hope this is true and I'm looking forward to it if it is. :smile:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Jrobert said:
Many of you disagree that Muppet Christmas Carol and Treasure Island were great movies. But truth be told, people loved them! Maybe not die hard Jim Henson fans but they were good, they were true to the characters and they were popular!
I do love both of those movies, but I'm just more excited about the possibility of future Muppet movies and TV programs based on original material. If and when this movie happens, though, I'm sure I'll be at the front of the line to see it. It's great source material, of course, but I'll miss the actual relationships and interactions of the Muppet characters themselves. One of the things that I think worked best in IAVMMCM last year was that the characters related to each other in a way that has grown familiar over the years. Fozzie's speech about loyalty to Kermit, in particular, was beautiful. It's not impossible to have these kinds of moments in adaptations, and adaptations have their own particular strengths and charms, but I think they make it just a little more difficult for the characters' strong bonds and personalities to come through.

Luke

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
This is not true, right? Luke, someone tell me this isn't true.
I'm as much in the dark, though it isn't one of the two movies i was aware of for TV, but then Vancouver does suggest it's a TV movie or Direct To Video so all bets are off if it's true really. There were rumors something was about to happen and it could go either way so maybe things worked out - i dunno, i never usually believe AICN !

If true it would signal Henson going back to 'Family' rather than 'Edgy/Family'
which might affect any other new TV shows or Films but in Henson's state they gotta take what sells and is in demand - obviously Kiddie orientated Muppet fare like MTI and MCC. Bah !

...but everybody think of the action figure possibilities ! :eek:

radionate

Reaction score
Oh wow. Even though I couldn't get the article to upload, and therefore couldn't read it, the idea of the Muppets doing The Wizard of Oz seems quite fun to me.

Especially because most of the "original" story line stuff they've done of recent years has lacked from strong character development.

Besides, the Muppets have always been at their best when spoofing. That was one of the strongest points of the show which so many people seem so quick to forget. I mean come on people! Pigs in Space? Vet's Hospital? The Newsman? At the Dance? The list could go on and on. These were all send-ups of various parts of America's then pop-culture. As were specials like "Sex and Violence" and "At the Movies". Not to mention that half the episodes of the Muppet Show featured plays on popular movies, Broadway musicals, etc.

I really don't understand how anyone can think this would "ruin" the Muppet’s reputation. I think that’s an uneducated, now well though out accusation.