Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

Randlev

Reaction score
Hey, I'm gonna probably be somewhat alone in my saying that I love Muppet Christmas Carol, I'm not sure what it is about it, I just love the music, Michael Caine, the casting of the muppets, esp. Gonzo and Rizzo, the human characters, the sets, the story, I just love all of it. And I think that's partly why I kind of like the idea of the Muppet Wizard of Oz. (Complete with brilliant cameo of Frank Oz as the Wizard of Oz at the end) I also think they should either do the Wizard of oz like they did Christmas Carol and Treasure Island and at least loosely stick to the original material, not try and add some real world scenes in the middle, I don't think that'd be a very good idea. Either make it Muppet Wizard of Oz, or don't make it Wizard of Oz at all, at least that's my two cents. If they don't try to outdo the classic movie, but rather rerealize the story Muppet-style, then it will be successful,

Chilly Down

Reaction score
On the subject of Muppet Christmas Carol, I loved it. It was one of my favorite Muppet projects ever. But MTI was less appealing to me, and I downright suffered through Muppet Classic Theater. I hope they aren't going back in this direction again. We need to see more of the original characters being themselves, not seeing them shoehorned into another plot.

BTW, I don't think it's heresy to suggest that someone who posts here might not see a Muppet project if it's not entertaining. I have no intention of seeing "Good Boy," because I thought it looked like an awful film even before the rumors confirmed it. I didn't watch many later episodes of "Muppets Tonight" because I found it so unsatisfying. I'll probably watch this if they make it, because 1) it's so long in between Muppet projects these days, and 2) I love Oz, so I'm intrigued about what they might do with it. But no Muppet fan is required to see a film if it's just two hours of Kermit picking his nose. We have the right to demand quality.

Someone pointed out that this has been done multiple times before. I forgot about the Muppet Babies episode. They're really going to have to go out of their way to make this significantly different from that.

Personally, if they MUST do an adaptation, I'd rather see Prince of Denmark. Sounds more intriguing, and now that Avenue Q has such HUGE cache behind it, this would be the right time for the iron to strike. (Or is it "to strike the iron"?) (I'd love to hear those songs on MC Radio, Phil, if Henson and the creators let you! List them as "filk" -- fan-created songs.)

At any rate (now seguing into the comments I made on TP):

I don't really buy that this whole thing is happening. The Muppets haven't done a storybook adaptation in years, and the reason they stopped (it seems) is because fans howled about it. To suddenly abruptly go back to this seems to indicate that they haven't been paying attention at all.

The only possibility is if, in negotating with NBC, this was the only pitch they were willing to take.

Assuming for a second that the rumor is true, a TV-movie seems likely to me. The Muppets are slowly coming back, but they're not there yet. And they can't risk having another big-budget movie fail. NBC said they were still interested in more films, anyway.

The only way I see this scenario working is if they follow the TMS template rather than the theatrical movies template. That is, the basic form of the plot is followed, but the characters are allowed to be themselves within the roles, and the plot can take any crazy detour necessary to make the movie funnier. Think of the Alice in Wonderland episode (Brooke Shields) and the Arabian Nights episode (Marty Feldman). In the first example, Fozzie got confused and played the Tin Man in Wonderland. In the second, when Fozzie (playing one of the 40 Thieves) learned that the thieves were supposed to be burned in hot oil in the finale, he quickly went out on stage and changed the ending to an "Open Sesame" finale, complete with all the SS characters.

That's what they need to focus on. Let the plot fit the characters, not the other way around. Reference not just Oz, but Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. (Unlike Fear Factor, those references will probably still be relevant in 10 years.) Heck, throw in a few Star Wars gags just for good measure. Bonus points if they can work in a sly reference to "Return to Oz" -- the 1985 film that Brian worked on. That joke would be just for the fans.

Casting is tricky. Piggy as Dorothy seems obvious; she's done the role before for the Oz medley in "Muppets Go to the Movies." Fozzie's played both the aforementioned Tin Man (in the Brooke Shields ep) and the Cowardly Lion (in the "Movies" number). (He's also played the MGM lion.) But if Eric's playing both, how will those two interact? And personality-wise, the loveably inept Fozzie is closest to the Scarecrow without a brain. Yet it seems like since the Scarecrow is the lead role, Kermit would naturally be placed in that position.

Then we deal with the issue of casting the newer cast members. Once we've got the principals cast, there aren't really a lot of roles left. How will Pepe, Johnny Fiama, etc. figure in?

And we've also got the issue of human actors. One could imagine a good comic actress (or Whoopi) in the role of the Wicked Witch. But what if they want to cast a human as Dorothy? There goes Piggy's role.

Anyway, I nominate Sal as the head of the Flying Monkeys, and the Fraggles or the Doozers in place of the Munchkins. And if they can get Frank Oz to play the Wizard for his one scene at the finale, it will be the most brilliant cameo ever.

On the issue of "edge," I felt the attempts to give the Muppets edge in VMMCM were heavy-handed and not that funny. Something was missing from the spirit of humor that Jim used when slyly slipping things over the head of kids. If their take on The Wizard of Oz features butt-slapping and comments about topless nightclubs, I think that will severely turn off the family audience. (And yes, the Muppets are supposed to be for kids--just not EXCLUSIVELY for kids. Remember, we first fell in love with the Muppets as kids.)

If they make it, I'll probably see it out of curiousity. If they succeed, I'll happily eat my words. For now, though, it's just a wild, unconfirmed rumor. I'll believe it when I see it from a source that I trust (i.e. Anonyfrog, Secret Squirrel, official Henson announcement).

P.S. Another possiblity that just occurred to me is that this might be a straightforward take on Oz not by the Classic Muppets, but by the Creature Shop. While this might also be a serious misstep (the original being too ingrained in people's minds), I'd certainly be curious to see this, unlike most Creature Shop productions.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
well I actually think it's a step back, as Jamie said. But until I know a bit of the script, I don't know anything. This 'rumour' could have been started by someone seeing a snippet of a script, and passing word around. If only one news source is saying it, I would be iffy.

I think it was a little stab at Wizard of Oz in a script, and someone went insane thinking they knew the idea for the next Muppet project.

Ryan

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
They sent me a brief rundown on the script along with a cassette of the songs they wrote for the proposal. The whole idea was very Muppety and original. During the songs, Robert and Jeff were doing Muppet impersonations for all the voices.

Now that you brought this up, I'll have to get this out and have another listen.
And the reason that parts of this aren't online is because...? :wink:

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
I think that a Muppet version of the Wizard of Oz would be so awesome! I have so many ideas that I think would be so cool...

Here is the cast I think would be perfect for the roles:

-Miss Piggy: Dorothy
-Foofoo: Toto
-Kermit: The Scarecrow
-Fozzie: The Tinwoods-Bear
-Rowlf: The Cowardly Dog-Lion (they could make a reference to the real Doglion as a joke for fans)
-Gonzo: The Wicked Warlock of the West (with his evil flock of flying chickens)
-Camilla: Leader of the flying chickens
-Bunsen and Beaker: The Wizards of Oz (when they finally try take Dorothy home, they use anti-gravity pills to fly back, but Miss Piggy is too heavy and doesn't fly)
-Pops: Emerald City Doorman
-Scooter: Emerald City tour guide (constantly reminds the 4 main characters that his uncle owns the City and he tries to sell things to them)
-The Electric Mayhem (Janice, Dr. Teeth, Lips, Floyd, Zoot, Animal, and Zoot): Resident band of Emerald City (and they play an actual song with words after the warlock (Gonzo) is killed. Maybe the fast version of Rainbow Connection that was used in Kermit's Swamp Years.)
-Statler and Waldorf: Dorothy's neighbors who also get stuck in Oz. They don't travel with the group, but they make several appearences making fun of the Oz residents and places. (possibly left behind in Oz at the end of the movie)
-Robin, Rizzo, Pepe, Gaffer, Bean, Penquins, frogs, rats, small animals: Munchkins (because many of these characters are popular, they will appear several times in the movie)
-Sam the Eagle: Mayor of the righteous, moral, decent, patriotic Munchkin City.
-Sweetums, Thog, Doglion, and other monsters: Spooks in forest, and warlock's minions
-Sesame Street cameo: Cookie Monster - seen several times trying to find the pot of cookies at the end of the rainbow
-Emerald City Residents (many cameo appearences): Crazy Harry, Lew Zealand, Annie Sue, Link, Strangepork, Johnny, Sal, Beau, Clifford, Bobo, Spamela, Anything Muppets, and real humans.
-Human cast: Glinda, Aunt Em, Uncle Henry, other good witch (if they are doing the books version)

I think there should be some sort of a love story between Kermit and Miss Piggy
-maybe she loves the real Kermit at the begining and then the scarecrow of Oz

Most of the songs should be done by Muppets - it's more fun that way

At the end, instead of the four main characters going to defeat the warlock, all of the Muppets should go, for a big battle scene like in the GMC. In the end, when Gonzo melts, Beau should mop up the water. Then the Muppets should all go back to the Emerald City for a big celebration and Music from the Mayhem.

Miss Piggy and Gonzo can fight before the Oz trip about Foo foo chasing Gonzo's chickens

Those are my ideas, tell me what you think... :smile:

matleo

Reaction score
Maybe we're reading too much into this rumor. A few possibilites...

1) Maybe, as Sarah said, this is just a snippet from a script and someone went nuts with the rumor.

2) maybe someone was overheard saying "We got Frank Oz back to do the next Mupet film, which is wonderful because he really is a wiz" and someone went nuts with that rumor. you know like a game of telephone. "Frank is wonderful and a wiz" becomes "frank Oz is a wonderful muppet Wiz" becomes 'The Muppets are doing Frank Baums Wonderful Wizard of Oz" becomes "Frank Oz eats baloney sandwiches with pickles every thursday". you now how the grpaevine is with these things.

3) Maybe this isn't actually about the muppets travelling to a fictitious land overrun by poppies, witches and flying monkeys but ratehr about the Muppets in the Land of OZ..you know Australia!!! They could surf, go to the opera, get a kangaroo, meet some dingoes...'The dingo ate my Muppets!" Yeah that would be cool.

4) this actually IS happening because Henson has finally realised that the only way to erase the sting of projects like KSY and MFS is to do sometihng so horrendously bad that anything that might follow seems like inspired genius!! it's all just part of a horrible marketing ploy

5) this is all a bad dream I'm having. I'm going to close my eyes and click my heels three times and when I wake up I'll be safe at my computer *closes eyes click heels "there's not place like MC...there's no place like MC!" *opens eyes* Oh, Oh Phil I had just had the most amazing dream, and you were there and Luke and Frogboy and even Warrick. Oh but I'm home now and it's all just a dream. it was all a just a dream and there's no rumor of a Muppets Wizard of...Oh jeez, there is!!! well, it was worth a try. :rolleyes:

--Matt

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
Boy, what a can o' worms I opened up here! This is what I get for posting every four or five months... (Phillip, thanks for updating the thread title and adding the article text. I tried to come back and put the text in but couldn't get the site up at the time)

I think most of your casting ideas are good, except Gonzo as the villan. I think they would probably go the same route as Tim Curry in MTI and cast a guest actress as the witch of the west. Either that or create a new muppet for the witch ala' Blind Pew.

pezbalubah

Reaction score
I'd like to see this done without the familiar characters. Especially if it's a tv-movie this can work like Emmet Otter, The Christmas Toy, etc. Kermit can host it, Dorothy would be human, and all the creatures would be original muppets/creature shop creations. Maybe there could be some cameos by familiar characters (Lew Zealand as the door man), but for the most part, all original. Especially if this is done with more of the bizarre characters from the books.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Hey, Beau, what's wrong with the Muppets doing The Wizard of Oz? It was, after all, Jim Henson's favorite movie. I'm personally all for it! I think it's a great idea. And maybe it could be directed by Frank OZ. :wink:

Do you just not like The Wizard of Oz?
Like I said eairlier, I think they should do something different, but then maybe it is just that I don't lkike the W-o-O.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The thing that would make or break this movie or whatever would be the envovment of Frank Oz. :embarrassed: