Rumor: The Muppet Wizard of Oz

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Yeah I know that but, even with Scooter's big comeback, it's a slim chance he'll land a starring role. Unless they screw up the whole thing and make Kermit the Wizard....(actually he'd look pretty cool :smirk: ) I personally think Scooter should be a boy seen playing in Kansas. Scooter should be a leading man only in the original Muppet movies (MTM, TMM,MFS) instead of the book movies(MCC,MTI), which he wasn't in anyway.

- :smile:

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
I just had the craziest idea. Miss Piggy will play Glenda. The Wicked Witch of the West, or wherever she was from, will be like a green Miss Piggy. Dorothy will be played by Janice, Floyd is the Scarecrow, Dr. Teeth is the Tinman, and Animal is the Lion. Kermit will be the Wizard I guess, I don't know where else to put him and you can't do this without the Frog. If you really wanted laughs, you'd make Zoot the Wizard, but that won't happen. Actually, NONE of this will happen, but MAN would this ROCK.

Bruce the Duck

Reaction score
I think that if this is true, Dorothy will most likely NOT be played by a Muppet. In both Muppet remakes, the main character has been left as a human actor. Ebenezer Scrooge and the kid in Treasure Island have both been humans. I think it should be the same with The Wizard of Oz. They should get a human girl to play Dorothy. The way I see the casting is like this:

Dorothy - Human
Dorothy's family - Also human
Fortune Teller/Wizard - Bunsen Honeydew, with Beaker as assistant
Good Witch - Piggy
Wicked Witch - Possibly a new Muppet or perhaps Piggy
Munchkins - New Muppet characters
Scarecrow - Kermit
Tin Man - Gonzo
Cowardly Lion - Fozzie
Emerald City folks - Random Muppets dressed in green
Toto - Rowlf, although I think someone like Rizzo or Pepe is more likely

Elasaid

Reaction score
Why have all the latest Muppet Show cast films been parodies of other stories? I'd like to see the original Oz books made into movies. The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland is a beautiful movie and I love it to the point of crying every time I see it, but let's face it-- it was nothing compared to the weirdness of those books. I'd love to see a production of Oz at it's most fanicful and imaginative. There's a whole world there that's just perfect for Muppet makers!

If a parody film is made, I think Toto should be some sort of obnoxious comic relief. He's so tame normally. Gonzo would look cute in a basket. "I'll get you my pretty! And your little (pause) whatever, too!" :concern:
Kermit should be the wizard, becuase he was so humbled by everything. If the Emerald city was all frogs :smile: ... they're green! that would be weird enough for me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Elasaid said:
Why have all the latest Muppet Show cast films been parodies of other stories? I'd like to see the original Oz books made into movies. The Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland is a beautiful movie and I love it to the point of crying every time I see it, but let's face it-- it was nothing compared to the weirdness of those books. I'd love to see a production of Oz at it's most fanicful and imaginative. There's a whole world there that's just perfect for Muppet makers!
Parody isn't the term... they're retellings. the only REAL parody of the Bunch was VMC (and since it employed Simpsons writers, that's the reason). It's like saying that any Disney movie (say Jungle Book) is a parody of the book, even though it's a retelling...

Bruce the Duck said:
I think that if this is true, Dorothy will most likely NOT be played by a Muppet. In both Muppet remakes, the main character has been left as a human actor. Ebenezer Scrooge and the kid in Treasure Island have both been humans. I think it should be the same with The Wizard of Oz. They should get a human girl to play Dorothy. The way I see the casting is like this
That is what worries me the most. I like MCC and MTI, but they both lacked the Muppets, and they played second (or MCC's case, third) to humans. As MFS and VMC were debatable, the story was about the Muppets and not Michael Cain or that guy who played Jim Hawkins.

If they HAAAVE to do this, Piggy should be Dorothy... just so it could be about a Muppet, not a human!

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Yeah it's mostlikey to for a human for Dorthy as well as the witch. But i would like Piggy to be Dorthy with a human to play the witch.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:flirt: like okay, if you rully want to know, fer shure, I rully think that Janice would make, like a totally trippy and groovey Dorothy... Rully!

I mean, the fact that there will no doubt be a human Dorothy is the reason I'm up in arms. I mean, most likely it will be some young punk who will become very annoying as the movie goes on (basing this off of Jim Hawkins yuck!) I just hope the main characters aren't shoved into the Background (or Third string roles ) and the classic obcure ones are totally forgotten (Like MTI and MCC... not even back ground roles for Scooter or Crazy Harry!) but it will be... sighhhh....

beaker

Reaction score
The good news is that the Muppets are going to be with us for awhile...the bad news is it looks like *this* is getting made.

So...human lead actor, lots of obligatory bumbling humans, embarassing C grade cameos, of the moment pop culture jokes, all inclosed sets, classic story retelling...yeah this has all the ingredients of a winner! :rolleyes:

floydnjanicefan

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
:flirt: like okay, if you rully want to know, fer shure, I rully think that Janice would make, like a totally trippy and groovey Dorothy... Rully!

I mean, the fact that there will no doubt be a human Dorothy is the reason I'm up in arms. I mean, most likely it will be some young punk who will become very annoying as the movie goes on (basing this off of Jim Hawkins yuck!) I just hope the main characters aren't shoved into the Background (or Third string roles ) and the classic obcure ones are totally forgotten (Like MTI and MCC... not even back ground roles for Scooter or Crazy Harry!) but it will be... sighhhh....
That would be cool if in the begining of the movie, there is a scene with Muppets playing themselves, and this Wizard of Oz thing is just a play that they put on in the theatre so the play can cut back and forth to Muppets being themselves and Muppets being Oz characters - like a movie length episode of the Muppet Show.

And in the beginning Kermit casts Janice as dorothy and Miss Piggy is very angry. During the movie, Miss Piggy will appear in different Oz costumes trying to steal the show. Maybe even appear as Dorothy in some scenes and push Janice offstage. :flirt: