It Came from Muppet Labs

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't have real media, and I don't have the time to download it now, but I really should say this...

If this is entered in the contest, I'm probably wasting my time with this photoshop stuff... good job...

sigh... it would be nice to win something for a change though...

:frown:

FER SURE

Reaction score
I can now only hope for the Electric Mayhem version of Boogie Nights.

Walker Boh

Reaction score
Wow, MM-III. Nice stuff! :big_grin:

The best part was when the buildings fell down.

MM-III

Reaction score
Hi all, Thanks for the positive comments... this was really a labor of love and it's such a pleasure to finally get to share this with all of you....

There were some questions sprinkled about here so I'll try to answer all of them with these production notes...

It Came from Muppet Labs started production during early summer 2003. Originally, this was going to be a very short 5 minute parody of frankenstein. I didn't even really bother much with sets beyond the standard lab playset. But as I started shooting the little segments, I started thinking of more things to add in... they were small ideas at first, but each idea spawned another one and then that would spawn even more ideas.

I finally figured if I'm going through the trouble, I might as well make this as good as I can make it. I ditched a lot of the early footage and began shooting with better sets and attempted more complicated camera moves and situations.

The movie never had a script, I would shoot a scene, load it onto the computer, and decide from there where it would go next. I've found that strangely enough, my best work happens this way. It's not the quickest way to work, but the end product ends up being better.

In the end, the raw footage for this movies consists of around five hours worth of material. I'd say that I loaded around 350 different shots into my computer of which 250 ended up in the final film. The time frame for all of this was roughly 4-5 months. (this wasn't constant labor mind you, I would take weeks off here and there)

A lot of people so far have commented on liking the music... What I used was:

Bach's Toccata and Fugue (the organ music in the opening credits and after beaker attacks Bunsen)

Stravinski's Rite of Spring (sprinkled all throughout the movie)

Mussorgsy's Night on Bald Mountain. (after beaker turns plush)

Chicago movie soundtrack overture (music playing after Bunsen "wakes up")

The "patton" sequence is simply a standard military bugle call called "To the colors"

The drumming during the crowd scene and the fight scene were both improvised beats performed by yours truly.

and of course, Putting on the Ritz from Young Frankenstein.

Also of interest is that there are actually around 20 "object removals" throughout the movie. The most obvious one is during the fight scene when all the piggys fly through the air a la matrix reloaded. They were all attached by dowels that had to be digitally removed. The others are more subtle such as my fingers when they would slip into frame or the wires controlling the fall of the flowers down the well. These object removals were all acomplished by importing the footage into photoshop and manipulating the image frame by frame.

Another thing I think is really cool is the windmill... I have to give my wife the props on that one because I asked her to build me one to just stand in the background and she ended up creating one that actually worked. So the windmill is being powered in that scene by a small fan blowing on the blades. It ended up being a tad too fast so I cut the speed of the footage in half so that it didn't seem like there was a class 5 hurricane blowing.

A few more random notes...

The lightning footage was all taken over the course of two seperate nights outside of my house. I would point my camera in the general direction of the lightning and hope for the best. As cool as some of the lightning I captured on film was, there was some really sweet bolts that I missed by being pointed slightly the wrong way. The moon footage was shot for around 15 minutes time lapse on a cloudly night.

Well, that's about it I guess... if anyone has any other questions about how certain things were done or whatnot, I'm happy to answer. Thanks again everyone and I'm glad you enjoyed it! :smile:

Convincing John

Reaction score
BRILLIANT!!! I couldn't help but laugh at the "Young Frankenstein" parody..."Meemee, meemee, meeeee!" That was so cool! Have you seen either Eraserhead or the Brothers Quay? A lot of your shots/lighting effects look inspired by these films.

I did have a couple of questions about the film...

How did you film it in black and white?

Did you have a stop-motion camera to work with? If so, what kind did you use? (just curious).

A brilliant film...BRILLIANT! :smile::big_grin::smile::big_grin::smile:

Convincing John

MM-III

Reaction score
Convincing John said:
BRILLIANT!!! I couldn't help but laugh at the "Young Frankenstein" parody..."Meemee, meemee, meeeee!" That was so cool! Have you seen either Eraserhead or the Brothers Quay? A lot of your shots/lighting effects look inspired by these films.

I did have a couple of questions about the film...

How did you film it in black and white?

Did you have a stop-motion camera to work with? If so, what kind did you use? (just curious).

A brilliant film...BRILLIANT! :smile::big_grin::smile::big_grin::smile:

Convincing John

Thank you very much!

Filming in Black and white is simply a standard function available on the camera I used. I used a Sony DCR-TRV22 which is a fairly inexpensive DV camera as these things go... (around 500-600 bucks) Also standard on this camera is a setting that records five frames of video every time you hit the record button... So the stop motion portions were filmed using that feature... however, at five frames per movement, the animation shows up choppy... so after I imported it into premiere, I cut each frame of movement into individual frames and spliced them together so that it would be smooth.

I have seen the work by both of the artists you mentioned... and I am a big lynch fan in particular. I wasn't conciously doing anything from their work but I'm sure sub-consciously, it couldn't help but creep in.

jediX

Reaction score
Rad, I have that exact same camera.

jediX

Reaction score
Nice, I'll be sure to pick it up tomorrow. Hooray for T3 lines :wink:

On another note, you've actually inspired me to pick up my camera once again and begin a project I've had in mind for years: a Star Wars figure movie. And hey, with over 400 loose ones at my disposal I will certainly have no casting problems :smile:

Awesome job, man. It made my day. lol

MM-III

Reaction score
jediX said:
Nice, I'll be sure to pick it up tomorrow. Hooray for T3 lines :wink:

On another note, you've actually inspired me to pick up my camera once again and begin a project I've had in mind for years: a Star Wars figure movie. And hey, with over 400 loose ones at my disposal I will certainly have no casting problems :smile:

Awesome job, man. It made my day. lol

That's really great to hear... Look forward to seeing it! :smile: