Fun-4-All may produce Sesame Street Action Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm just not interested in buying cartoon versions of the characters. Frankly it seems more like lack of interest in likeness than stylization. Don’t you guys want to do something different? Cover new ground? Get the proportions right? I’m yet another person who would like these to look more like the puppets. Oscar is cute, but I am quite disappointed in the rest and don’t see any room for improvement in the current sculpts due to the cartoon style and proportions. Just calling it like I see it. Hope you don’t take it as being harsh. I want to see fantastic representations of these characters, but don’t see that with the current path.

It’s been asked several times, but I’ll ask it again – Will Oscar be sculpted in his can?
:grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
To be honest, I'm just not interested in buying cartoon versions of the characters. Frankly it seems more like lack of interest in likeness than stylization. Don’t you guys want to do something different? Cover new ground? Get the proportions right? I’m yet another person who would like these to look more like the puppets. Oscar is cute, but I am quite disappointed in the rest and don’t see any room for improvement in the current sculpts due to the cartoon style and proportions. Just calling it like I see it. Hope you don’t take it as being harsh. I want to see fantastic representations of these characters, but don’t see that with the current path.
I think SW enforces cartoon likenesses of their characters. It's not too obvious with some, but With Cookie Monster and Big Bird (noted mostly for lack of the white feathery poof in his feathers above the space between the eyes, and a shortend beak)

I would love to see Puppet likenesses of these characters, but when it comes down too it, it has to be what SW wants, or it's a moot point any way.

Besides... I just don't understand what's wrong with Grover and Ernie. Cartoon or Puppet, they look alike to me. Cookie is subtly different, but a fine marrage of Puppet and Cartoon likenesses. As long as he's furry, and not the plush smooth shved Twiddlebug that Fisher Price makes.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I think SW enforces cartoon likenesses of their characters. It's not too obvious with some, but With Cookie Monster and Big Bird (noted mostly for lack of the white feathery poof in his feathers above the space between the eyes, and a shortend beak)

I would love to see Puppet likenesses of these characters, but when it comes down too it, it has to be what SW wants, or it's a moot point any way.

Besides... I just don't understand what's wrong with Grover and Ernie. Cartoon or Puppet, they look alike to me. Cookie is subtly different, but a fine marrage of Puppet and Cartoon likenesses. As long as he's furry, and not the plush smooth shved Twiddlebug that Fisher Price makes.
Unless fun4all guy states otherwise, we can't make the assumption that they are not allowed to make puppet likenesses. That's a rather bold assumption. Have you heard official word from Sesame Workshop? From what I gather in the posts, this was fun4all's creative choice.

As an artist I thought you'd see the discrepancies in proportion of these figures. Ernie's torso should be at least twice as long and Cookie looks like a cartoon with oversized marshmallow eyes. He doesn't resemble the puppet. There's an enormous difference between the cartoon and puppet likenesses. I'm still not saying these are bad, but they are far, far from the puppet source material. I hope that changes.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't even see a semblance to the cartoon versions. What cartoons were they basing these on? There's the one guy that does the art long ago for the books (Scott used it as a screensaver at his site) that looked good and like the puppets more than these figures do.

pdiresta

Reaction score
once again all:
these figures are in their earliest stages. These are the first sculpts that were casted in plastic and painted for Toy Fair last week... They are still in clay form. There have been no revisions, and they are hand painted. They will be much further along when they are officially released: Cleaned up sculpt, texture on the "skin" and clothes, tighter paint jobs, all articulation, accessories...an actual factory sample. I just thought you guys would love the heads up sneek peek! I thank you all for your passion and comments...we will definitely take into account all your feedback so we can put out a really cool product.
I think when you guys see the final package you will be pleasantly surprised.

Drtooth

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
Unless fun4all guy states otherwise, we can't make the assumption that they are not allowed to make puppet likenesses. That's a rather bold assumption. Have you heard official word from Sesame Workshop? From what I gather in the posts, this was fun4all's creative choice.
Sorry... it's basically what I surmised with the more current stuff...

the Pez

The Fisher Price line

stuff like that.

All I'm saying is that the overly furriness of the Tyco plushes didn't deterr me, a few things like Disproportionate torsos (which you rarely see the full thing of anyway) aren't going to stop me. Even if these were 15 bucks a go, I'd still get them... after the Palisades toys of course.

Besides. Every Company makes drastic improvements to the second wave of figures, compaired to the first wave. So If these are good in real life (a lot of things look much better in turn around) the second wave will be great.

Sorry if I seem really defensive... ain't nothing keeping me from a 2 headed monster and a Guy Smiley!

:wink:

Baby Animal

Reaction score
pdiresta said:
once again all:
these figures are in their earliest stages. These are the first sculpts that were casted in plastic and painted for Toy Fair last week... They are still in clay form. There have been no revisions, and they are hand painted. They will be much further along when they are officially released: Cleaned up sculpt, texture on the "skin" and clothes, tighter paint jobs, all articulation, accessories...an actual factory sample. I just thought you guys would love the heads up sneek peek! I thank you all for your passion and comments...we will definitely take into account all your feedback so we can put out a really cool product.
Having checked out your website, what kind of things can we look forward to there when the construction is done? And what kind of other reference points can we look at to see what kind of quality your company produces? I know I saw Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears. Do you produce the ones that are currently out in Wal-Marts? And are they going to look more puppet-like?

Drtooth

Reaction score
pdiresta said:
once again all:

That's pretty much the statement I was looking for. We're pretty much diving into this like the Oz rumor. We should hold judgement until we get final results.

My suggestions? Make Cookie's eyes a bit smaller... that's all I have to say...

pdiresta

Reaction score
we actually just did a line of Muppet "3D-Animators" or push-puppets, that came out pretty cool (for mini-figures). Also we did some cold cast statues of iron maiden (eddie), the large scale KISS action figures they were like 36" I think....too huge for normal people! "Men Of Honor" (large scale military collectible figures with a ton of die-cast accessories)... before that Fun-4-All was a keychain company, and did mostly plush (All the SOUTH PARK talking Plush), we're also doing "Happy Tree Friends" plush now (which is a crazy toon)

Drtooth

Reaction score
pdiresta said:
we're also doing "Happy Tree Friends" plush now (which is a crazy toon)

Happy Tree friends... you know, as an indepented animator in school, I've always wanted to see that stuff...

I'm just asking the question, does Sesame Workshop actually enforce, or suggest doing cartoon likenesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.