Fun-4-All may produce Sesame Street Action Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
ReoRogerz said:
Are you crazy, the Simpsons figures are awesome. They really scored a home run with those. And sorry to tell you, but those sold A LOT more than the Muppet Show figures did. The line jumped the shark when they changed the packaging and made it confusing for collector's, but they are one of the greatest lines I've ever seen. It's sad to see it coming to an end, as they're running out of characters and are now left with just variants of characters they've already done, but those are some great figures. As big a Muppet mark as I am, you can't deny the greatness of the Simpsons figures.
Yeah... definately talking of the Simpsons line... they really jumped the shark with a raw steak in their pants with Database, changing the scale for no apparent reason without warning, and making such an all and out bad figure.

I love the Simpsons line, myself. However, I think the latest figures (the wave after they changed the packaging) are just bad, not design wise mind you (well... except for Database) but because of the characters they chose... I mean, does anyone really want a Hellen Lovejoy figure, aside from completists? I mean, I collect them, but only the characters I like. I was going to get Tux Krusty, but I was dissappointed he didn't come with a Tux Mr. Teeny Pack in... would have been so cool, am I right? And I wish that they'd just make a Family Feedbag Moe w/removable Million Dollar Birthday Fries Basket hat and Dr. Collosus! But I am not saying they are bad... just they could have been better. I wish they sacrificed the talking function for more articulation (they could have made more characters too, as far as they didn't have to pay licencings) and better accessories, but I like them. Except I dislike how they make the Glasses detatchable on Flanders, Marvin Monroe, and Smithers, but not on Hans Moleman...

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
Aerosmith is right, it was the Simpsons figures I was talking about when I said they jumped the shark when they changed the packaging because it made it hard for collectors to keep track of who was in what series.

As for the Simpsons figures, I don't know, I think the line did a great job in the detail, I think they're exactly what you see on TV. Do they hold a candle to the detail that the Muppet figures possess? Absolutely not, but they're of a different kind of character. As Jamie said, the Simpsons are good for what they are and the same holds true for the Muppets.

As for the playsets, I think they were necessary because Moe's Tavern and the Simpsons kitchen and living room and the Kwik-E-Mart are as important to the show as the characters themselves. How many classic moments appeared at those places? One thing they SHINED at though was they made a figure of EVERYBODY you can think of and whoever they haven't made yet, they're scheduled to be made. Again, I think the Simpsons figures were a great idea and even when the line is retired they will be a hot item.

I do, however, miss the old packaging of the Muppet figures. I thought it went well with the show and with the brand. What better way to package these than with it looking like the Muppet Show stage? As much as I liked the old packaging, the line didn't jump the shark when it changed.

However, I hate to say it because I'm a HUGE Muppet fan and a HUGE fan of this line, but The Muppet Show figures have jumped the shark. When? When they made figures from the Muppet Treasure Island. Let’s not forget, this line was made to commemorate the 20th anniversary of THE MUPPET SHOW, not of everything to do with the Muppets. I don’t have a problem with the Treasure Island figures being made, nor characters like Pepe, Clifford and Johhny Fiama who came WAY after The Muppet Show went off the air. However, they should be made after the original characters are made. IMO, Pepe shouldn’t have come before Muppet Show icons like Statler & Waldorf. And instead of Sam from Treasure Island, they should’ve just made regular Sam. Before I go, because Lord knows I’ve ranted enough, where is Sweetums in all of this? He’s not even scheduled yet.

Before I get slammed for my comments, let me just repeat that I’m a HUGE Muppet mark and I love this line of figures, I just think that some characters should’ve come before others. But KUDOS to Palisades for announcing Pops and Lips in their line-up. Can’t wait to see those.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's about something for everyone and not all to please one particular type of fan. There *has been no shark jumping* as far as retail sales figures between series one and five. Six appears to be strong too. What you mean is that it jumped the shark pertaining to your personal tastes - but that's not what the term is all about. Sam Arrow was a very popular figure even though there was a lot of pre-judge flack thrown his way. Many fans ate their words and picked him up upon seeing him in stores.

Between series 6 and 10 there are *many* classic TMS characters and playsets to choose from. I'm not sure if you've checked out the lineup listing. Next year we will get Frog Scout Robin (show accurate), Sweetums, Beauregard, Statler, Waldorf, Patrol Bear (show accurate), Lips, Pops, Regular Rowlf, Dr Bob Rowlf, Nurse Janice, Nurse Piggy, First Mate Piggy, Uncle Deadly, Fozzie with Chuckie (special nod to the Muppet Show skit), Classic Sam, Reissued Classic Animal and even a packin penguin and java "slinky" muppets packed with newcomer Sal. That's a heck of a lot of classic Muppet characters. *Something for everyone and not just one fan* It's a good plan in my eyes. :concern:

That's 19 figures in 5 waves! Nearly 4 TMS characters per wave on average.

Luke

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
It doesn't really make sense to market these figures to te Sesame Street aged kids. They are like 3 years old. They won't be buying these things. Majority of consumers will be collectors. They keep action figure lines alive.
I think majority will be kids actually, just about. Action figures or not Sesame merchandise still sells way more and is a way hotter kid brand than Muppets. The same parent who bought a kid 'Tickle Me Elmo' will use these as a pick-up item to introduce her kids to figures at around 3-6 years old. A totally different approach is needed than Palisades which focus on speciality collecting. It's cool for the Sesame line to be geared to kids but keep the adults interested as a bonus market but to do it the other way around would IMO be a massive mistake.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I know it way off topic but there is a liot of talk about jumping the shark here.

The muppets didn't jump the shark with series 4. The line was originally for the 25th anniversary of the Muppet Show, but the muppets are more than just that one show. Now the line is what it should be. It's a collection of all the characters from just about every project the muppets have been apart of. To say they jumped the shark just because MTI Sam came before TMS Sam is far too harsh. If they ONLY made MTI Sam, that's a different story.

To me, it doesn't matter if MTI Sam comes before TMS Sam. Both are being made, so why does it matter which comes first? The same goes for new characters coming before classic ones. So what if Pepe came one series before Statler and Waldorf? Both are being made. Why should it matter if Pepe comes out 3 months before Statler and Waldorf? I just don't understand the argument that it's bad to release new before classic or variant before standard. Besides, the Simpson line released all the classic characters first, and now people are complaining that there's nothing but variants.

As I said, the muppets are more than just the Muppet Show. What kind of collection would it be without Rizzo (a character that probably wouldn't be done since TMS Rizzo is nothing like the one we know) or Pepe (a new comer who is now a large part of the Muppet universe)? The fact is, in the muppet line, all characters are created equal, and so it doesn't matter who comes before who or what variant come before another. There are plenty of new characters to be made, but without variants, they won't be able to make it into the line.

So...uh...Sesame Street figures. Yeah...cool.

pxlforge

Reaction score
Plus if they just made all the regular versions first and THEN started on the costumed variations the collectors who just want 1 version of each character wouldn't follow the line after the costumed versions come out. RThis way you have all sorts - some might buy a whole series, others just 2 or 3 of each series, and still more may just want 1.

As for the order in which these figures have come out, Palisades knows that anticipation is key. Its good to want things. Builds up consumer excitement.

As much as the MTI figures are wasted on ME, I know there are people out there who are eagerly anticipating them. I just try to keep in mind that I'm not the only one buying these and be glad of what we ARE getting.

Based on the laurels that Palisades refuses to rest on, I trust that any rumors of alleged shark jumping will be null and void once Palisades finishes the Backstage set and unveils it.

Gonzo the Grape

Reaction score
Has that Fun-4-All fella been here in the last four months?? Lordy, it seems like he's been jumped on the mean back alleys of Sesame Street. I hope we hear something soon.
Palisades has spoiled me by giving me great updates and inside info daily. I have a feeling Fun-4-all won't be heard from all that much.

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
Have they even got their own website???

Have they even got their own website yet??? I have never heard of this company, but that means nothing really. I sure hope they have the clout to put this stuff out, especially after all the hullaballoo... I gotta do a websearch for fun 4 all...

Gonzo the Grape

Reaction score
A note to those making these figures, I heard that they won't look as cartoony as the first peek we got (I hope this is very true). I just wanted to express an opinion that I think that the Cookie Monster should be a darker blue. That's it, all the other changes have been mentioned I believe. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.