Favorite Muppet Puns

Zoot

Reaction score
The muppets are notorious for the plays on words that they incorporated into the scripts (for the adults) - My favorite is from the Muppet Movie where Kermet almost gets flattened by a steam roller when he's riding his bike past the frog-leg fast food joint. See my signature for this line - What are everyones' favorite puns from all the movies/shows etc?

Blind Pew

Reaction score
I've got too many to count but the one that comes to mind is in TMM when Fozzie says something to the effect of "Those aren't Presbyterians" when they first see The Electric Mayhem.

Iggy35

Reaction score
I never did get that gag .. What is a Schwinn?
I still love it in GMC when Piggy is being arrested and she turns to Nicky Holiday and says "You can't even sing, Your voice was dubbed!"
Tickles me everytime!! hehe

IGGY35

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
to iggy

I thought in GMC Piggy was saying "You can't even sing, your voice is dumb!". Lol that's funny!

Sir Didymus

P.S. A Schwinn is a kind of bike. I have a nice blue schwinn.

Zoot

Reaction score
You can always identify the moment right after you've heard a muppet pun when Kermit says "Oh GEEEEZ!"

Another one of my favorites though...is when Paul Simon is hosting TMS and at the very beginning he walks up and the ticket taker guy (I don't know his name) is wrestling with the trap-door lever...and offers to help his expertese with the claim that "He knows a thousand ways to love you lever."

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
The "gone with the Schwinn" joke is a pun on "Gone with the Wind."

scarecroe

Reaction score
Schwinn is a bicycle company, perhaps one of the oldest still operating in the US. Bikes will often be reffered to by the company name that produces them; "I rode to work today on my Schwinn [or Trek, or Specialized, or Gary Fisher]"

http://www.schwinn.com/

The line also works well, as Jeffrey pointed out, as a take on the film title Gone With the Wind.

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I just figured one out yesterday:

in MTI when Kermit and Piggy are dangling upside down on the cliff Kermit says "Don't cry for me, Benjamina." I JUST got a cd with "Don't cry for me ARGENTINA" on it so it all makes sense to me! I love learning new things like that.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Tera

Reaction score
Most of my favorites have already been listed. Gone with the Schwinn is, in my opinion, the best ever.
"They don't look like Presbyterians to me!" is another favorite (I used to go to school at a seminary, so I said this one in my head A LOT), but I have to say the running gag with "Have you tried Hare Krishna?" in TMM is even better. I laugh just thinking about it.
The ones we use the most in everyday conversation are "Myth, Myth!...Yesth?" and "Bear Left.. Right Frog". In fact, 'Bear and Frog' are now synonomous among my family and friends with 'Left and Right'. So when we're giving directions we can't tell anyone to bear right, because they'll go left then right.

Tera

Reaction score
somewhat off subject - what the hey

"I JUST got a cd with "Don't cry for me ARGENTINA" on it"

Which one? I HIGHLY recommend the version of Evita that has Mandy Patankin (Inigo Montoya from Princess Bride) singing the role of Che. His voice is poetry.
BTW, one of my two favorite non-Muppet puns comes from that book ... (This scene isn't an exact quote, but you'll get the idea.)
its right after Buttercup and Wesley reunite at the bottom of the chasm outside the Fireswamp. They start fighting, and she says mean stuff to him. Then she throws herself into his arms to apologize and says "I didn't mean any of it, not a single syllabub." Now Wesley knows a syllabub is a dessert made with wine and cream, but he also knows an apology when he hears it. So he just holds her colse and says "I know you didn't, not a single syllabub."