Alphabet Cartoon on Sesame Street: Who's the artist?

MaryHadABicycle

Reaction score
Hi, I have a real difficult question. There is a cartoon segment of the alphabet where the alphabet is sung and the cartoons change into letters. It's very Peter Max looking. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and who the artist was that did the cartoons?
The beginning and the end had a little baby fairy that went to sleep on a crescent moon.
Thanks.

camillachick

Reaction score
segment description

I know this segment but I don't know the artist responsible for the cartoon. I will however decribe it a little further for those who are interested or need a better memory jog. The music in the background was a flute- sort of Renaissance or Folk sounding. It appears on the Maria and Luis' wedding episode of Sesame Street. Each letter begins as a picture in the letter's shape, turns into the letter, then turns into a new picture which moves to take the shape of the next letter. A few of the letters change into:
A- fairy
E+F- turtle
H+I- couple of animals dancing
I+J- hobby horse
K+L- fairy with wand
O- flashing sun
O+P- flower that snaps shut
R- a bear
S+T- a snake
T+U- a worm on two blades of grass
V+W- two dressed up geese (?or ducks)
X- a pair of stretchy blobs
Z- Raggedy Ann doll + I think the fairy from A

ssetta

Reaction score
This segment is called the "Madrigal Alphabet." It was done in 1973, and was composed by someone named Donald Byrd. It was in the home video Learning About Letters.

Jennifer

Reaction score
My own title for it...

ssetta said:
This segment is called the "Madrigal Alphabet." It was done in 1973, and was composed by someone named Donald Byrd. It was in the home video Learning About Letters.
I actually like to call this "A Midsummer Night's Alphabet", because the madrigal music and the fairies and otherworldly characters remind me of "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

sixdollarman

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Are we talking about the cartoonist or the composer of the song? I would love to find the song. But I don't think I will find it on any Top 40 list. When they played it at the end of Sesame Street 25th All Star Birthday (with Joe Pesci) it was incredible. It really sent shivers up my spine mainly because I hadn't heard it in a long time. Do you think it's possible to find the song?