It's Official: Series 9 & 10 Announced!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still feel that they should have been in the next MTI spot, since design wise the two are pretty bland...

But this is exactly why we need to expand the line at least one year... that way everyone can be happy... ewe can have varients and new characters together...

Besides, I think series 9 is too soon for another Gonzo (sinc3e Target has the new one in series 7)... If it were series 11, I wouldn't complain...much...

WiGgY

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I still feel that they should have been in the next MTI spot, since design wise the two are pretty bland...

But this is exactly why we need to expand the line at least one year... that way everyone can be happy... ewe can have varients and new characters together...

Besides, I think series 9 is too soon for another Gonzo (sinc3e Target has the new one in series 7)... If it were series 11, I wouldn't complain...much...
It is not possibly to change them to MCC figures and it doesn't make sense to do that. We have a theme going. Why start another theme that just won't be complete by the end of 2005?

You keep saying they are bland and that YOU want them changed. The fact is they are being made and they aren't bland to everyone. Also, it will be the first Rizzo since Holiday Rizzo, and that's being picky since Holiday Rizzo is an exclusive. It's really the first Rizzo since series 4. So, since YOU think it's too soon for another Gonzo, think of this as a MTI Rizzo with Gonzo pack in.

To be honest, complaining like this is just wrong. It's one thing when it's something like the Sesame Street line, I mean, even Sesame Workshop said they needed changing. But complaining about the Palisades line like this is far to nit picky. (Besides, you were the ONLY person saying no one should complain about the SS figures because we should just be glad to get them. Why change sides on that issue when it comes to Palisades?)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Here's what I say:

Buy these toys. Buy them as many as possible, then get friends/family to buy them. If the sales are good enough maybe Palisades will get some license extensions after 2005 to give us the MCC figures--because I want them, too; just not til after all the MTI are done.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm revoking all prior statements on Gonzo and Rizzo... I am actually more excited, though I still think I'll get them last of the set... I mean, Tux Fozzie, Lips, Pops... no wonder why they didn't look too appealing to me back then... they have serious competition...

I hope they come with ninja throwing Starfish....

Luke

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
People keep saying that Pallisades is releasing these variants because they're trying to please everybody. Well, was anyone actually asking for "Vacation" figures prior to their release?
I think the problem is that when we say they are trying to make something to please everybody some people are misinterpreting "everybody" to mean all different types of Muppet fans. This is not the case, the figures sell to three groups of people :-

- Hardcore Muppet Fans :- Who know the shows and movies well, love the characters and will probably be into show specific variants or signature versions of the figures.

- Action Figure Collectors :- Who may or may not be Muppet fans, may not know the shows or movies very well and just have a rough knowledge of the main characters. These are the kind of people who are buying them because they are figures, not neccasarily Muppets. An interesting looking sculpt, a strong theme or a gimmick (eg :- invisible figures) may turn them on the most. These guys are the ones attending the cons.

- Casual Muppet/Nostalgia Fans :- Your average TRU or Target store browser. Probably a mix of the first two groups as to what they like to buy so show or movie specific themes will be popular as well as a mix of signature character figures, especially main omnes who they will know the most.

Obviously there will be some crossover, but Palisades have to keep all three groups onboard and collecting to make the line popular and profitable. Majority of times the figures will be designed to attract all three, others will be geared towards certain groups. Most of the original design figures have been aimed at the second group. The Vacations sell mainly in Toyfare magazine with a massive readership of action figure collectors and help gain publicity for the line. Superheroes are pretty much the same but with SuperBeaker will also sell at the conventions where you are going to get a lot of comic book and Superhero fans. Scouts and Parody style stuff are more universal and have been seen briefly in the shows - they'll appeal to a wider range of people than just collectors so retail exclusives they usually are. It's not totally set in stone but these themes are usually kept up and running in the same places so those people continue collecting them. Bottom line is that if they can hook people into getting these they will also hopefully get into the regular line which is where the real money and sales are, strengthening the line for us all. Completists are another bag entirely, and they can be relied upon to buy anything put out aimed at anyone.

Did anyone ask Ken to make Vaca Fozzie ? I guess not, but he went down well and people did ask for more. Anyway, the fans don't direct the line and Palisades aren't just about taking requests. I would guess their remit is just to make great looking figures from the license that sell well and appeal to as many different people as possible - while doing it cost effectively and getting as much use as they can out of the sculpts to make variants. You have a good point that there show specific things that could be used but if we are talking action figure collectors I would guess a large majority would be more attracted to a funky Fozzie with a floatie than Piggy on a bike, and theres no theme to that. People should just buy what they want, I don't think anyone is being a grouch. You just come into this from the hardcore Muppet fan viewpoint, lots of people here will share the same desires obviously.

Thijs

Reaction score
About Miss Piggy, in Holland the comic stores are full with Piggy merchandising that won't sell.

Irving Bizarre

Reaction score
One of the reasons Piggy won't seel is because she represents a view of women that isn't flattering. Society tells dumb fake blonds that they must be thin and emaciated twiglike creatures and have flawless skin and fit into a fabric tube and smile with a mouthful of perfect white gleaming teeth and wear so much oily make-up it makes an oil slick embarrassed to even contemplate drifting over an 'area of natural beauty'.

Piggy represents an image of women that women don't want to see. Women want to see themselves as slim and agile and fit and healthy not as some lard eating overbearing permanently pre-menstrual fat sow.

And as most Piggy merchandise is aimed at girls and women it's no wonder the stuff won't sell. Piggy needs to be marketed elsewhere, redirected mentally. Her character doesn't jive with today's world. People keep saying they want the Muppets to be like they were back in the day but they can't be because society has moved on. Things the Muppets represented back then aren't relevent anymore. People don't get the references to movies of old and books etc. People will get a joke of the moment referencing a movie from five minutes ago but today's audience has the attention span of a gnat and the intelligence of a pebble. Us older nostalgic fans might still get the old jokes but if the Muppets want to keep going they have to change and reflect the changes in the world or people just won't want to know.

Clifford is more likely to sell than piggy, Pepe is too. If there were an 'asian' or 'Indian' Muppet that character would sell and do well. Simply because it would reflect changes in society. We live in a world of many colours and the Muppets don't really reflect that. Sure they are all different and all making up one big unified family, but the feeling you get is that certain groups of Muppets aren't welcome with our bunch.

Considering that the Muppets are for adults too, and they're based in a theater where is the 'Muppet of alternate sexuality' or the drunken bum Muppet. Or the nose candy Muppet?

I know I'm pushing it a bit here, and i don't expect to see half of any of that. But you can see my point? The Muppets are out of time, need focus. direction. need refreshing with a load of new characters. Some older characters could be brought back and some could wave goodbye. That's life so why shouldn't it apply to muppet life?

Luke

Reaction score
I agree to an extent, although if they are going to bring in new characters this time the writing and creativity has gotta be good. Only like 2 or 3 characters have really stayed as part of the main Muppet gang from Muppets Tonight and I think they strayed a little too far from the usual Muppet mold. The thing is though, I don't feel the problem is that much a lack of new blood puppet wise but more them not using the older characters in the best way. Since Jim's death too many were pushed into the background and the writing for some of the main ones seemed to change the characters quite a lot from what people had loved for so long. It's only really since the Christmas movie that i've thought they are beginning to get back on form, bringing out older characters, giving them good roles and recreating that feeling of a mad muppet universe instead of just 5-10 main characters doing everything. Perhaps some fresh writing talent would be good (Team Todd, Simpons people) but maybe the team they have now just should continue the current course. Problem with that of course is Wizard Of Oz (Yuck) - it's gonna turn the Muppets back to MTI/MCC style rather than playing THEMSELVES and being utterly MAD and ZANY which is what made them what they are and people haven't seen enough off since the 80's.

I'm not up for an outwardly gay Muppet, or a druggie etc. They aren't just for kids but they are a family entertainment brand with a risque element to the writing. Not that i'm against gay people (or even druggies - lol) but the Muppets have their own lives - they don't have to mirror ours just because our own society has changed. It's like saying Crazy Harry should be used more because there are more terrorists around today. We have the camp 'Howard Pig' and I think that works - it's funny without being patronising and fits the show wheras outwardly gay would not.

Piggy IMO is a bit of a lost cause. Her character doesn't seem to work now and there isn't anything she can really do aside from the same old are they / aren't they routine with Kermit. It's tired and old - people have seen it all and it seems that Kermit is being shackled with her again. I'd like to see the pair broken up a little and them maybe use Piggy more for her over the top Diva stuff than just being Kermits girl. She has tons of gay fans - have her do a cameo on "Will & Grace" or release a cover of "I will Survive" or attend premieres in big lavish dresses. She is all about being tongue in cheek so they need to use her that way. No criticism of Eric, he's done great getting the character down so much. It's just she's the puppet version of Dame Edna Everage. They need to use her like that, have fun, not stick to the same old stuff in the script.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Luke said:
- Hardcore Muppet Fans...Action Figure Collectors...Casual Muppet/Nostalgia Fans
Loved that whole explanation...great way to break it all down.

Electric Mayhem

Reaction score
So we get more Kermits, Gonzos, & Fozzies, but still no Sweetums?!? Hrrmmmm..... :boo:

...but I'm still very pleased with the announcement of the other figures. :smile: