The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Baby Animal

Reaction score
There were a few of my friends who are real big comic book fans that were blah about LXG. I thought it was good, but it just ended way too quick. We want to do a Call of Cthulu game with a sort of LXG... we've got someone to be Houdini, I think someone wants to be J. Edgar Hoover, and I chose Ty Cobb. I can go beat people in wheelchairs with the butt end of a gun :smile:

Oh yeah, let me get back. So, what was the question?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Er, what was the questian about what the questian was?

Shock

Reaction score
Its not really weird. I enjoyed it. I loved all of the characters.

GPrime1

Reaction score
I would strongly recommend reading the comic book, it's collected in trade paperback form and should be relatively easy to find. Unfortunately, the writer of the book, Alan Moore, had no real influence in the film's direction, and as a result much of the richness of the characters and their world were, in my opinion, lost. Much of the dynamics between the characters that existed in the book, and which stayed extremely close to their sources, it would seem, were disregarded in the making of the film. Quartermain, for instance, is an opium junkie who is forced to come to grips with his addiction. Hardly the kind of person who could possibly take responsibility for leading a team. In the comic, Mina is a much more strong and independent character, is not a full vampire, and leads the team with great skill. The filmmakers seem to have relegated her to a rather ineffectual role where her character has very little room to develop. The inclusion of Tom Sawyer in the film, well, let's just leave that one alone (the common thread between the characters in the comic was their existence as Victorian, read: English, literary heroes). Then again, Hollywood action films have rarely displayed themselves as intelligent movies with great characters. It's a shame, this film had a lot of potential, but failed to recognize what made the original material so good. I'm dreading next year when the Catwoman film reaches theatres. :boo: :sleep:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yup, I'll see if I can find de' comic book. Merry Christmas!

LadyCamilla

Reaction score
We rented this movie the weekend before Christmas and ended up watching it 3 times in 2 days!! I really liked it!
I really like Sean Connery anyway - the man can do no wrong as an actor IMHO!

It wasn't weird at all to me, I rather enjoyed all of the literary characters, and knowing who they were too! Also, after watching it several times, as with a lot of movies, you start to notice things you didn't notice before, which made it even better each time we watched it!

The special effects (especially the Nautilus) were pretty good too, again IMHO.

I would highly recommend it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I was just worried about the vampire, I don't mind that kind of thing, but I didn't want to suggest it to my parents to get, if they are just going to label it weird and chuck the thing out!

(They thougt that Scooby Doo had demons in it...)

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I didn't like League of Extraordinairy Gentlemen. It seemed like Sean Connery did it to keep himself in the spotlight. I suppose it was pretty good overall, but... it seemed like Connery felt awkward in it. Maybe I just better watch it again.

Of course, that's coming from a guy who can't stand James Bond or most action movies for that matter. hehe. The only time I can remember loving a performance of Sean Connery's is in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I like some of his other stuff, but that was the best.

I did like the Invisible Man guy, though. He was cool!

Beebers

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Tell me, what rating does this film have on the Weird Factor, is it natral weirdness (ie. X Men) or 'magic?'

Also, should I see this, or not, opinions please
I've been gone for awhile so I'm late.
I've been well-acquainted with the characters of the League all my life, so the film was a total treat for me and VERY well done. I recommend to anyone who has seen the League or is thinking of seeing it to absolutely rent/read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It's an exceptional story in its own right and will lend illumination to the League plotline. Dorian is a key player in the League story and was brilliantly portrayed.
I think the filmmakers were rather brave to make it since they had to know that much of their audience would not know the character references, sadly. Knowing them is fairly crucial to enjoying the film.
I'm quaintly hopeful it will lead people to be curious and read Wilde, Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Jules Verne (Captain Nemo), etc.
Hope springs eternal.
See the movie. All the Gentleman are great fictional characters from times of great writing.

:cool: