Fraggle Rock Region 2 DVD to be released in April

Whataday

Reaction score
Luke said:
I doubt it. The disc was originally being worked on by Columbia for a late January/February release - the first thing they would have done in sorting out a Fraggle release was working out what would be on the disc. Then you have artwork to clear with Henson and the discs aren't exactly printed that close to the release dates. I doubt classification was the reason for the delay - if they were going to be releasing anything new I would have expected them to get all the clearances earlier. It's not like them anyway, I think they'll use the same approach as they have with the Muppets.

There's plenty of time to get clearance and classification for an April release!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
I doubt they'll use the same copies, As what was on the UK 80's video releases. Im 99% sure that it will feature Gerry Parkes as Doc, And not Fulton McKay as the Captain.

It probably will have one or two of the episodes released in the 80's, Because they are the most well known episodes. Everyone nows and loves 'The Minstrels' and 'The Preachification of Convincing John'... And they both feature Jim.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Warrick said:
I doubt they'll use the same copies, As what was on the UK 80's video releases. Im 99% sure that it will feature Gerry Parkes as Doc, And not Fulton McKay as the Captain.
I'd rather see Fulton McKay on the UK DVD and mainly out of nostalgia but also so if the US gets a release at some point in the future and they have Gerry Parkes it means I can justify buying them as well!!!

Luke

Reaction score
Warrick, what makes you think they won't use McKay ? I would have thought being a UK release they would have. It's a nostalgia release and everybody growing up used to watch him, and he's quite a big name. If they are aiming this at the UK 'big kids' i'd have thought they would be dissapointed to see an American who they never knew as part of Fraggle Rock instead of the lighthouse keeper.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Luke said:
Warrick, what makes you think they won't use McKay ? I would have thought being a UK release they would have. It's a nostalgia release and everybody growing up used to watch him, and he's quite a big name. If they are aiming this at the UK 'big kids' i'd have thought they would be dissapointed to see an American who they never knew as part of Fraggle Rock instead of the lighthouse keeper.
Exactly - I mean Muppet enthusiasts/completists would probably like to have the US shows on DVD (which is why I'll buy the DVD whichever versions they include). But the general DVD buying public probably didn't even know there were different human characters around the world and would be upset to not be getting what they grew up watching.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Fulton McKay was only in Fraggle Rock for just over a season, After that Gerry Parkes was shown. On ALL reruns Gerry Parkes was shown throughout. Theres probably only a small number of people who remember him being in it. Or they probably would if they saw him in it, But if they saw Doc they'd be oblivious to the change.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Warrick said:
Fulton McKay was only in Fraggle Rock for just over a season, After that Gerry Parkes was shown. On ALL reruns Gerry Parkes was shown throughout. Theres probably only a small number of people who remember him being in it. Or they probably would if they saw him in it, But if they saw Doc they'd be oblivious to the change.
I probably only watched it during it's initial run and don't think I watched any re-runs (which is why Gerry Parkes was unfamiliar to me - although as an adult I've since seen his stuff). But I just did a quick check on IMDb and Fulton Mackay (we've been spelling his name wrong!) played doc for four years and was followed by Simon O'Brien for a year (known better for his role as Damon on Brookside!). So for at least five years we had our own UK version - obviously if the re-runs reverted to the US versions then I guess people may be more familiar with them.

Anyway time will tell and we'll soon all find out what Columbia TriStar have in store for us in April! :big_grin:

anathema

Reaction score
Douglas Fir said:
I probably only watched it during it's initial run and don't think I watched any re-runs (which is why Gerry Parkes was unfamiliar to me - although as an adult I've since seen his stuff). But I just did a quick check on IMDb and Fulton Mackay (we've been spelling his name wrong!) played doc for four years and was followed by Simon O'Brien for a year (known better for his role as Damon on Brookside!). So for at least five years we had our own UK version - obviously if the re-runs reverted to the US versions then I guess people may be more familiar with them.

Anyway time will tell and we'll soon all find out what Columbia TriStar have in store for us in April! :big_grin:
I wouldn't rely too heavily on that. IMDB is riddled with errors!

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i'm 26 and I remember it right from its debut - Fulton McKay is the only human I remember as being part of Fraggle Rock. Obviously coming to MC I now know about Gerry Parkes but I never saw him or heard of him before that. By the time re-runs came around I was probably too old for it all. Fulton was actually quite a big draw at the time because of 'Porridge' and they used him in the publicity. I guess its depends according to age but at least from my age group I think a lot of people would remember Fulton and realise the change.

beaker

Reaction score
So...in conclusion, this thread shouldnt be of much concern to us US folks?

I just want the Fraggle episodes that featured Ned Schimmelfinny as an 8 foot flamboyant cactus.