Captain Kangaroo's Passing

Phantom

Reaction score
There are reports today that Captain Kangaroo has passed away. I grew up with the Captain. Thanks, Captain and good-bye.

'Captain Kangaroo,' Bob Keeshan, Dies at Age 76

(New York-WABC, January 23, 2004) — Bob Keeshan, the television producer who created and ultimately became beloved children's personality Captain Kangaroo, has died. Keeshan, who was born in Lynbrook, Long Island, was 76.

Keeshan began his career by creating the character of Clarabell the Clown for the 'Howdy Doody Show.' He used that children's show experience to mold Captain Kangaroo, winning over generations of children and their parents through innovative approaches to interesting topics. As the easy-going Captain with his big pockets and his bushy mustache, Keeshan lured children into close engagement with literature, science and especially music, adopting an approach which mixed pleasure and pedagogy.

Keeshan's approach represented a rejection of pressures towards the increased commercialization of children's programming as well as a toning-down of the high volume, slapstick style associated with earlier kid show hosts.

Keeshan was working as a receptionist at NBC-Radio's Manhattan office when Bob Smith started offering him small acting parts on his NBC-TV show, 'Triple B Ranch,' and then subsequently hired him as a special assistant for 'The Howdy Doody Show.'

Though Keeshan's initial responsibilities involved supervising props and talking to the children who were to be program guests, he was soon pulled on camera, bringing out prizes.

After appearing in clown garb on one episode to immense response, he took on the regular role of Clarabell, the mute clown who communicated by honking a horn.

Leaving the series in 1952, he played a succession of other clown characters, such as Corny, the host of WABC-TV's 'Time For Fun,' a noontime cartoon program, where he exerted pressure to remove from airplay cartoons he felt were too violent or perpetuated racial stereotyping.

While at WABC-TV, he played an Alpine toymaker on 'Tinker's Workshop,' an early morning program which served as the prototype for Captain Kangaroo.

The CBS network was searching for innovative new approaches to children's programming and approved the Kangaroo series submitted by Keeshan and long-time friend Jack Miller.

The series first aired in October 1955 and continued until 1985, making it the longest running children's series in network history. Keeshan not only vividly embodied the Captain, the friendly host of the Treasure House, but also played a central creative role on the daily series, supervising and actively contributing to the scripts and insuring the program's conformity to his conceptions of appropriate children's entertainment.

jediX

Reaction score
:frown:

:eek: Oh no! I really don't know what to say... I watched this show almost as much as Mr. Rogers back when it was on reruns. :frown:

I can remember his appearance on Muppets Tonight as "Commodore Kangaroo".

Sigh....:cry:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I loved Captain Kangaroo! I've still got a tape of him that I listen to sometimes. It had been so long since I'd heard anything about him, I didn't know if he was still around. :embarrassed: But he was a great entertainer and a good guy. He made a great mark on the world.
Erin

Erine81981

Reaction score
I was about to copy that here until I read about it here. U beat me.
I'll miss that neat, fun and enjoyable man. Love his show. I never got to see any of the old shows but I did get to see his new shows when they showed on Fox. I'll miss that old House and the rest of the charatcers. Well at least he's up there w/ his wife. Good bye Captain. Will miss u. *blows a kiss to the sky*

Saginaw

Reaction score
A sad day, indeed. :cry:

Every weekday morning from the time I began preschool to about the first or second grade I started my day watching the good Captain. I loved the different animals that he brought to the set. I really liked Bunny Rabbit and would wish I had a puppet like him. Mr. Moose cracked me up. Dancing Bear kinda scared me (I believe it was his really wide eyes), and Mr. Green Jeans was like the grandfather I didn't have.

By the way, does anyone remember the segments on 'Captain Kangaroo' that featured a type of mime or clown that danced against a black background to different kinds of music, and sometimes he would use props with his performances?

God bless you always, Captain. I thank you as the person that I am today for enriching my childhood, I thank you as an American for serving our country, and I thank you as a fellow human being for showing me the best that humanity can be.

--Saginaw

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Yes I always loved Captain Kangaroo, in someways more then Mr. Rogers. I just really loved the Mr. Moose puppet and the pingpong balls. I wish his show was still on the air. I know they did make a newer show back a few years but Bob Keeshan wasn't playing Captain Kangaroo, I wonder if he ever showed up on that show? I too feel there is too much violence on tv for younge children and i feel it has only gotten worse. Bob Keeshan lived a good life, he looked older then he was, I remember watching him on an old FX morning show back in like 1997 in which he would have a comment on something each day. I know it's sad he died, :sympathy: but now he's with his wife.

Reaction score
Kevin Clash and the Captain

I loved watching Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Moose, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Greenjeans, and Kevin Clash. Does anyone remember the father and son puppets on the show. Kevin performed the son. He also was a human character in the show interacting with Captain K.

When Fox Family (now ABC Family) tried to reincarnate the Captain Kangaroo show, it just didn't work. There's only 1 Kangaroo, just like there is only 1 Mr. Rogers, 1 Walt Disney, and 1 Jim Henson. Kids and those of us that are kids at heart lost another friend today. :cry:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
It's been a rough week for childhood icons. Ray Rayner also passed away this week. Those of you outside of Chicago don't know who he is, I'm sure, but he had his own show where he introduced cartoons (which I remember quite well), and he was also Sandy the Clown during the early years of the Bozo Show (a Chicago TV institution for 40 years, before going off the air in 2001).

And now Bob. Sigh. We'll miss you, Bob and Ray. :sympathy: :cry: :boo: :grouchy:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I watched him a number of times when I was a kid. It makes me really sad :frown:

bats1972

Reaction score
This was very sad news. I had grown up in the late 70's watching Captain Kangaroo. Very sad indeed. maybe someday some episodes will be put out so I can show my son who Captain Kanngaroo was.