How many puppeteers are there?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry Nelson came on board for Sesame in 1970. Then during the summer of 1970, Jim Henson held a big puppet workshop casting performers for "The Great Santa Claus Switch". That's when young talents like Fran Brill and Richard Hunt came on board. After taping Switch they continued training on Sesame Street and the rest is history.

Splurge

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
Alice Dinnean, Brian Meehl, Bruce Connelly, Bryant Young, Camille Bonora, Carmen Osbahr, Caroll Spinney, Daniel Seagren, David Rudman, Eric Jacobson, Fran Brill, Frank Oz, Gabriel Velez, Jennifer Barnhardt, Jerry Nelson, Jim Henson, Jim Martin, John Tartaglia, Joey Mazzarino, Judy Sladky, Julianne Buescher, Karen Prell, Kevin Clash, Lisa Buckley, Louise Gold, Marilyn Sokol, Marty Robinson, Matt Vogel, Noel MacNeal, Pam Arciero, Peter Linz, Richard Hunt, Rick Lyon, Steve Whitmire & Tyler Bunch.

That's all the names I got.
Could we add Dave Goelz to the list? True, he wasn't a regular, but he did contribute. Also someone mentioned Jane Henson. Which would make sense, because I remember seeing a photo of Jane performing Ernie's right hand.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Splurge said:
Could we add Dave Goelz to the list? True, he wasn't a regular, but he did contribute. Also someone mentioned Jane Henson. Which would make sense, because I remember seeing a photo of Jane performing Ernie's right hand.
They are added. I've just learned that John Kennedy also worked on SS.

Alice Dinnean, Brian Meehl, Bruce Connelly, Bryant Young, Camille Bonora, Carmen Osbahr, Caroll Spinney, Daniel Seagren, Dave Goelz, David Rudman, Eric Jacobson, Fran Brill, Frank Oz, Gabriel Velez, Jane Henson, Jennifer Barnhardt, Jerry Nelson, Jim Henson, Jim Martin, John Kennedy, John Tartaglia, Joey Mazzarino, Judy Sladky, Julianne Buescher, Karen Prell, Kevin Clash, Lisa Buckley, Louise Gold, Marilyn Sokol, Marty Robinson, Matt Vogel, Noel MacNeal, Pam Arciero, Peter Linz, Richard Hunt, Rick Lyon, Steve Whitmire & Tyler Bunch

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
When the show first started in 1969 there was only 3 puppeteers Jim Henson, Frank Oz, and Carroll Spinney. Back then Carroll Spinney sometimes helped out with the Anything Muppets.
Wasn't there another one? There are some scenes that used up to four performers (as right hands, for example).

muppet_dk

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Wasn't there another one? There are some scenes that used up to four performers (as right hands, for example).
That could have been Jane Henson, if she did work on SS it must have been in it's early years.

Aparently Caroll was sick when the taped some of the seqments for the first season. So Daniel Seagren took over the role of Big Bird untill Caroll could work again.

Splurge

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
That could have been Jane Henson, if she did work on SS it must have been in it's early years.

Aparently Caroll was sick when the taped some of the seqments for the first season. So Daniel Seagren took over the role of Big Bird untill Caroll could work again.
Interesting! Pray tell, where did you get that information?

If that's true, I wonder if that's Danny in the Noggin episode where BB is figuring out how to move bags pf birdseed to his nest.

Come to think of it, I don't even know what Danny sounds like. I just know he's done full bodied Muppets on TMS and he was Spider-Man on The Electric Company.

Splurge

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
Alice Dinnean, Brian Meehl, Bruce Connelly, Bryant Young, Camille Bonora, Carmen Osbahr, Caroll Spinney, Daniel Seagren, Dave Goelz, David Rudman, Eric Jacobson, Fran Brill, Frank Oz, Gabriel Velez, Jane Henson, Jennifer Barnhardt, Jerry Nelson, Jim Henson, Jim Martin, John Kennedy, John Tartaglia, Joey Mazzarino, Judy Sladky, Julianne Buescher, Karen Prell, Kevin Clash, Lisa Buckley, Louise Gold, Marilyn Sokol, Marty Robinson, Matt Vogel, Noel MacNeal, Pam Arciero, Peter Linz, Richard Hunt, Rick Lyon, Steve Whitmire & Tyler Bunch
Quite a list. I'm still puzzled, however, about who this mysterious Muppeteer was, who usually played Anything Muppet characters like one of the Rhymies, and is probably left-handed. It almost sounds like John Lovelady.

Could it be Brian Meehl? I have my doubts, because even most of Brian's little boy/ female falsetto voices ("Clementine", for one) sounded much deeper. But it's plausable. Hopefully someone in the know can confirm or deny this.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Splurge said:
Interesting! Pray tell, where did you get that information?

If that's true, I wonder if that's Danny in the Noggin episode where BB is figuring out how to move bags pf birdseed to his nest.

Come to think of it, I don't even know what Danny sounds like. I just know he's done full bodied Muppets on TMS and he was Spider-Man on The Electric Company.
The info is from Toughpigs. Someone wrote JHC to find out who did Big Bird on the ed sullivan show. And the answer was that it was Daniel Seagren, because he's a former dancer.
And as a bonus they supplied the info about Daniel on SS.

Greedo

Reaction score
They are added. I've just learned that John Kennedy also worked on SS.

Hehe, don't forget Stephanie D'Abruzzo. I think she did the Prairie Dawn character.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Hehe, don't forget Stephanie D'Abruzzo. I think she did the Prairie Dawn character.
No, that Fran Brell who has been with SS since at least 1970. Stephanie D'Abruzzo has been there sense about 1991/93, and had had Elizabeth and Lulu as main characters she has performed.