Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

samtheeagle

Reaction score
Just now, according to CNBC - Disney has agreed to buy Henson Associates (including the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House). Talk is that there will a new Muppets TV show! Even though I can't say I was the happiest when the Mouse acquired the Muppets last time, this time it is all but necessary to keep the Muppet franchise afloat - we are going to see more Muppets!!! More soon....

:attitude:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Disney Buys Jim Henson's Muppets & Bear
Source: The Walt Disney Company

The Walt Disney Company and The Jim Henson Company today announced that they have entered into an agreement under which Disney will acquire the beloved Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House properties from Henson.

The transaction includes all Muppet assets, including the Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo and Animal characters, the Muppet film and television library, and all associated copyrights and trademarks, as well as all the Bear in the Big Blue House characters, television library, copyrights and trademarks. The parties have signed a binding purchase agreement and expect the transaction to close within two months, subject to receiving the necessary regulatory clearances. The transaction does not include the Sesame Street characters, such as Big Bird and Elmo, which are separately owned by Sesame Workshop. The deal also includes non-exclusive production and consulting agreements under which Henson will develop potential new programming featuring the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House for Disney.

Brian Henson, who with his sister Lisa is co-chair and co-chief executive officer of The Jim Henson Company, said, "This new and very important relationship will enable our two companies to combine our respective talents and resources in ways that will fully realize the tremendous potential of the Muppet and Bear franchises. Michael Eisner's long-standing passion and respect for the Muppets gives me and my family even more confidence in Disney as a partner."

Lisa Henson said, "In the months before his death in 1990, my father Jim Henson pursued extensive discussions with The Walt Disney Company based on his strong belief that Disney would be a perfect home for the Muppets. As such, the deal we announced today is the realization of my father's dream, and ensures that the Muppet characters will live, flourish and continue to delight audiences everywhere, forever. My brothers and sisters -- Brian, Cheryl, John, Heather -- and I are so proud to have the Muppets living under the same roof as Walt Disney's own timeless characters. We could not possibly be more pleased."

"Since the time I worked with Jim Henson on the first Muppets TV special in the 1960s, it was obvious to me that his characters would make a deep imprint on the hearts of families worldwide, and this announcement is the culmination of a long-time desire to welcome them into The Walt Disney Company," said Michael Eisner, Disney chairman and chief executive officer.

"Kermit and Miss Piggy are well-known and beloved around the world and will have an opportunity to be seen and loved by millions more well into the future through Disney's distribution channels at home and abroad, including home video, family television programming and consumer products, in addition to the existing theme park presence at Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. We are honored that the Henson family has agreed to pass on to us the stewardship of these cherished assets. We are also pleased that this transaction puts us in a position to work with the Henson company on future projects," Mr. Eisner said.

Disney, which owns broadcast and cable networks reaching over 120 million households worldwide, operates or licenses theme parks on three continents, and offers home video and consumer products worldwide, is planning to re-launch the Muppets with new TV specials and series. Disney also expects to expand and enhance the global licensing and home video initiatives based on this new production for the Classic Muppets, the infant/preschool property Muppet Babies, and Bear in the Big Blue House.

The Jim Henson Company, which was purchased by the Henson family in July 2003 from the German media company EM.TV, will retain all other assets of the company including Jim Henson's Creature Shop and ownership and rights to all other characters and entertainment properties in The Jim Henson Company's extensive film and television library, including Fraggle Rock, Farscape, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Storyteller, The Hoobs, and various other properties. The Jim Henson Company will also actively pursue partnerships and other strategic arrangements to exploit these and other existing and new properties and to build their value over the long term.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I'm not too excited about this as I think that the Disney company Jim was looking to work with and the Disney company that is today are two different companies. :rolleyes:

I hope it works out though...

Erine81981

Reaction score
I like it so far. I hope it does do good if so we might can see old show like Muppet show, Fraggles, Muppet Tonight, Speicals, Hoobs. Thats about the only thing I'll look forward to seeing on Disney. :smile: I just hope it doesn't go down hill. :smirk:

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
I'm on the fence...

If this means I get a new Muppet show, then so be it. Selling your soul to the Devil is only about 3 steps down from Disney, but I woulda sold to the Devil to see some new Muppets on TV.

Does this mean we'll get to see some Muppified spoofs of Disney stuff??? Cause that alone would be worth it. :big_grin:

Ryan

Reaction score
Cap Backfire said:
If this means I get a new Muppet show, then so be it. Selling your soul to the Devil is only about 3 steps down from Disney, but I woulda sold to the Devil to see some new Muppets on TV.
Well, I see why you'd say that, but I have two worries about this.

1. Even without Disney, Henson could have done a Muppets series in the next few years. Fox had offered them a sitcom deal a few years ago, but for some reason it fell through (possibly due to the failure of Greg The Bunny.)

2. At the Unseen Works of Jim Henson Seminar in October, Craig Shemin, Jerry Nelson and Jane Henson all agreed how hard it would be to get a new Muppets series on television..I think it was Jerry who said that it was difficult for them to even get a 6 episode commitment. Which is understanable, since most of their recent projects have been less then successful. I have a strong feeling Disney is really going to mess with the Henson name. Just my gut reaction to all of this.

Morice

Reaction score
All I can say is Nooooo!!! wait let me rephrase that....
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate disney! :grouchy: :eek: :cry: