Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jediX

Reaction score
I'd say let sleeping dogs lie. If they think we have a hostile attitude towards them, they will be more inclined to pursue legal actions, should they do that type of thing -- I'm not familiar with their policy towards usage of copyrighted images, etc. I'm w/ DW. Petitions are usually a total waste of time unless it is on a smaller scale. Besides, quoting people w/o their permission isn't exactly the nicest thing to do.

Anyway, here's my time-altered stance on this whole mess. Its really a test of faith, in a way. Ok, so many of Disney's recent films may not have been that great (excluding the major theatrical releases), and their policies may bother some of us (again, I've seen a LOT of anti-Eisner statements on here, yet I've never seen a list of reasons of why so many people 'hate' him so much). A majority of the first few pages of posts on this subject may have been/were overreactions based on shock -- I know my first post was (and when I came to my senses about the thing I was unable to edit it). Disney doesn't disgust me like I stated and I have no personal vendettas against them in any way -- posting that has been bothering me and I really needed to take that comment back. The only thing I'm worried about is the aura of uncertainty. Will the performers stay the same, will there be character modifications, etc. Disney isn't going to spend 100 mil on something and then do something that would tick off the fanbase enough to the point where they will just stop putting interest in the property. If I had spent that much (IF I even had that) I would do everything in my power to make it succeed.

Its sad seeing this happen to the Muppets and to all of us, their loyal fans, and it has made me feel sick for many a day, but there isn't a thing we can do. You can fight it all you want, but should it get to the point where Disney gets annoyed with excessive amounts of complaint and threat letters from members of fan communities, they may get into action. I'll support my foam pals as long as they don't 1) excessively change personalities, 2) change performers, 3) aren't treated like pawns. I want the Henson ideaology to reach as many people as possible--this world needs stuff like Muppets, Fraggles, and such things. Could have been done elsewise, but its better than seeing JHC waste away. Muppets will always be a part of me, and as long as I'm around I'll share them with everyone. They helped me become who I am today and owe a lot to them for it. Abandoning them now wouldn't benefit anything.

Jrobert

Reaction score
Okay, let me just say that if any of you are stock holders you may be a little more excited about this deal and what COULD happen in the future. It's possible that next month Eisner and some other people may be voted off the board and out of the company. If this happens and if there are some good quality creative people put back into the company, this can be a GREAT thing for all of us! If Disney went back to what it was meant to be.

Check this out:

www.savedisney.com

Enjoy!

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Gobo_Tron2 Wow, I picked an interesting time to crawl out of my little hole in the wall. Within 3 days of me struggling to get back to my Muppety self and then this happens. Sheesh! I never was the master of good timing..
Chris???? :confused: CHRIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome Back old pal!!!! :smile: It's great to hear from you!!

Zach)Rowlf the, remember these enddings? Yeah, I don't either! :excited: Dog.

towels

Reaction score
shazam said:
Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island were done with Disney, and our two of our best movies
Well, after TMM, GMC, and MTM of course...
:wink:

I want to vote for both choices though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is SO stupid, I mean, what's the point: First the Henson Company sells the Muppets to Disney, then they buy them back. Second, the Henson Company sells the Muppets to EM.TV, then they buy them back. Now, they sold the Muppets to Disney AGAIN! Why don't keep the Muppets and stay put? Disney owns too much anyway, I mean they have TWO channels.

jediX

Reaction score
I think its more than two. Disney, Toon Disney, ABC...I think they own ESPN too, or something. Oh well.

dmx10101

Reaction score
jediX said:
I think its more than two. Disney, Toon Disney, ABC...I think they own ESPN too, or something. Oh well.
Yes the own ESPN and ESPN2.

grouchman

Reaction score
by all means, write letters and petitions if that will help you feel better.

in reality, the only thing we can do that will matter now is to vote with our wallets.

support the things you can believe in:
quality re-issues of classic material (un-edited, mind you)
muppet 3D in the parks (that's Jim, after all)
new imagineer-guided attractions (not just more gift shops!)
palisades toys (if they're allowed to continue)
new programming that shows some spark of imagination (not just another costume parade or stage show)

withhold your cash from shoddy use of the muppets:
...like those plush toys we've heard so many complaints about in park shops.
cheap, poorly thought-out filler video projects (swamp years, anyone?)
products and services with the muppet name just slapped onto them.

whether it's right or not, your money is the only voice the new owners of our old friends will listen to. all we can hope to do is reward what we deem fitting for continuing our notion of the "muppet tradition", and deny financial reward to empty merchandising that will (we hope) collapse under its own dead weight.

(**i said that better in my first draft, but managed to delete it while editing. aw, nuts. it's late. time to crawl back in my can for the night.)

grouchman

Struble

Reaction score
Courage-Bagge said:
Now, they sold the Muppets to Disney AGAIN! have TWO channels.
Um. This is the first time they sold them to Disney.

Strub

Fozzie Fan

Reaction score
Disney

Look what disney did to Winnie the Pooh! What do you think will happen to Kermit, Ms. Piggy, and the others. Makeovers? I sure hope not......... :embarrassed: