Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Luke

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Agreed. If they actually bought the Henson Co., they would technically still be branded "Jim Henson's Muppets," for the Muppet characters would still be under the Jim Henson unit of Disney. But since they're buying the characters, they would have every right to brand them as "Disney's Muppets." Which would not be RIGHT at all.
If there was no contractual agreement over the name then it wouldn't make a difference if someone bought the company or not - you could have seen "EMTV's Muppets". I think you can safely bet your bippy though that the Henson's and Disney negotiated use of the Jim Henson name and they will not be able to call them "Disney's Muppets". Just because it's Disney doesn't mean Brian Henson wouldn't have had the same kinda clauses put in that EMTV had - like how the characters can be used and what they should be called. I'd be surprised if they also haven't negotiated access to the archives so that the Henson Legacy can use whatever footage they like and also for the Henson Company to be able to use Muppet images. I think taking Kermit away from the logo is probably just to stop people getting confused.

DisneyNut

Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more there. I don't think Disney will tag their name onto the Muppets I think it will be a Disney Film Featuring Jim Henson's Muppets. Or, if they don't keep Henson, I'd imagine it would just be The Muppets. Disney does a lot of things that drive me crazy but all in all, I think they'll do well with this deal.

Luke

Reaction score
Actually if this thread is right, i'm wrong :- http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=12815

I honestly thought Disney would have had a bit more sense than that and that the Henson's would be quite insistent that they not be able to do it anyway. Shows what tradition stands for sometimes i guess. So if they WILL be "Disneys Muppets" whats all this talk from the Henson Company about them continuing the legacy and all that.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Several sources have confirmed to us that it will be Disney's Muppets in some form. According to where things are right now, Disney doesn't own the name "Jim Henson", just the Muppet and character names. Apparently Disney likes the idea of just using the title "Muppets", "Disney's Muppets" or "Disney Presents the Muppets" because with Disney's name attached it means something new and different whereas "Jim Henson's Muppets" donates a historic legacy. So if things play out according to plan, we will not see "Jim Henson's Muppets" used on any production. I think Sesame Workshop even uses "Jim Henson's Muppets" on their credits, so that may have to change as well after the 35th season.
There you go.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
The stink of Disney begins...

TOLD YOU SO :big_grin:

Disney exhalts the MOUSE on top, and FROG on the bottom.

Mickey is like their family member, and Kermit is like a hired hand.

Do you think Disney wants you REMEMBERING JIM HENSON, and REMEMBERING all the good writing quality? Do you think Disney wants you COMPARING the "real" HENSON Muppets with the Frankenstein's monster "after Henson" Disney Muppets? Do you think they want you to be sentimental, or to get angry when Disney does bad things with Jim's wonderful creation?

NO :mad:

Here is what it is about:There is a HUNDREDS of kid cartoons on TV all the time, but there is only ONE Spongebob Squarepants which is smart and fun for everybody to like. That's what the Muppets were, too.

I'm predicting it for you, too. Just you wait until more information comes. It will all be bad.

"Who was Jim Henson? Who cares. Forget him" that is what Disney is saying
:cry:

Disney looks at Jim as just a fricking guy who was paid for a few designs. Disney paid off Brian for them. Now, forever it will be DISNEY'S MUPPETS.

I hate you Brian
:grouchy:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
Here is what it is about:There is a HUNDREDS of kid cartoons on TV all the time, but there is only ONE Spongebob Squarepants which is smart and fun for everybody to like. That's what the Muppets were, too.

QUOTE]

:big_grin: I hate spon....Oops lol i mean i DIS LIKE Thats Cheeese guy Sponge Bob!!! :grouchy: that Chesse guy thAT lives in a Creek in a rotted orange and hangs with a Pig and a rat and a 8 lagged worm! :grouchy: :rolleyes:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
Disney exhalts the MOUSE on top, and FROG on the bottom.
They're DISNEY. Mickey Mouse is THEIR character for God's sake. He's the icon. We know! Does not mean the Muppets won't get their exposure, which is the POINT of this deal. It's not a popularity contest between Mickey Mouse and Kermit the Frog, both characters Disney will own 100%. So there is no need for the Muppets to look down-trodden and sing "Saying Goodbye" in front of the Chaplin lot, 'cause they're not dying.

And besides, they don't even OWN the Muppets yet, and they only announced the frickin' deal 13 days ago.

And the horrible things Disney has done with the Muppets, MCC and MTI were hits (unlike MFS) and the videos were doing good as well.

As for the Henson family's business decisions, well, the highly lucrative ABC deal fell flat and the Sony movie deal was a disaster. Yet the video line went very well. And the idea for the EM.TV deal was so that this fast-growing German kids' company could finance future Henson projects, at a time when Henson was at a crossroads. But since EM.TV put a gun to its fat, corrupt head, things never came to pass.

And you say any other company besides Disney would trwat the Muppets like royalty. Well, has Time Warner mass-marketed the Hanna-Barbera characters? No, there's Scooby-Doo and Flintstones cereal commercials and crude (but sometimes entertaining) stuff for Adult Swim and that's IT. I mean they don't even call it Hanna-Barbera anymore, it's called Cartoon Network Studios. On the other hand, there is Boomerang, which airs classic H-B and other programming 24 hours a day.

And you mentioned the guy with AIDS earlier. I ASSUME you're talking about Howard Ashman and how Disney "never" recognizes him. Um, is Henson constantly talking about Joe Raposo and Jeff Moss and Don Sahlin every day? No, and I don't expect them too. If it's the right format, like a TV special or a book or another thing exploring their history, I'd like to see an acknowledgement.

I think Disney gets beat up on, sometimes fairly and sometimes unfairly, is because they make more stuff than Henson. They have more clout and more ways to distribute and produce their product, and more chances to make mistakes and face criticism. While Henson, while I'm sure they care, need the money and financial backing to MAKE their product and entertain the world. And both the Muppets and Disney animation reached their creative peak years ago, yet they're still iconic and respected and have the potential to do more creative things. And I have no idea what drove Henson to make the final decision to actually SELL the Muppet characters to another company, which is surprising, but you know the gist of this arrangement is to put the Muppets back into the public eye with new projects and make a profit. The Henson family realized that this wouldn't happen if the Muppets were sold to some small rights-holder like Classic Media.

I've had my criticisms of course, but if you're going to hate the Henson family and their past (and present) decisions on the Muppets and call them a bunch of snotty rich kids (though they're adults) and you're going to hate Disney for decisions that haven't even been made, what's going to satisfy you? I would have rather seen the Muppets be in Henson hands, or see Henson sold off as a whole to Disney, but now the Muppets have the chance to not be just participators in game shows and run the risk of nostalgia.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Besides MouseWorks or whatever (House of Mouse?), what has Disney REALLY ever done with Mickey? Since the 50's or 60's? Nothing. There's been 3 Aladdin films and a series, 3 Lion Kings, almost 4 (and a series) of Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid (and a series, right?), Tarzan the movie and series, 2 Hunchbacks, and Mickey is featured in a small section of Fantasia, repeated in Fantasia 2000, and a cameo in A Goofy Movie.

What has Mickey REALLY done? Nuffin! He's a corporate symbol anymore. That's all. Kermit has done more than the Mouse ever has...and isn't as old.

I have complained to Disney before that I would LOVE to see more stuff done with their classic characters, and they won't do it. Where's Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow? Where's all of Carl Barks' ducks? DuckTales is gone for the most part.

Yeah, Mickey and the gang would be great to see come back, but they are not only on the back burner, they're under the oven while Hercules (movie, series) is seeing more press.

I hope Kermit and Co. don't fall alongside Mickey and Gang...

electricmayhem

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
I've had my criticisms of course, but if you're going to hate the Henson family and their past (and present) decisions on the Muppets and call them a bunch of snotty rich kids (though they're adults) and you're going to hate Disney for decisions that haven't even been made, what's going to satisfy you?
Thank you, well said.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Ohhh my...its world war 3, lol

Hey gang,

ALL companys have there probblems and BoyRaisin2 had some VERY very (if NOT very them pritty darn good) points if ya ask me! :smirk: Both Mickey & Kermit have probbly done the same amount of work in Hollywood, and i LOVE both of them very dearly! There my hero's (along with Winnie there) all 3 of em. Like Larry King sayed a few weeks ago when Eisner was on talking about the Muppets , King sayed "We don't see the Muppets Much"...and ya know what thats %100 true gang! Ok ok.... so they done what? a few TV spots gottin tossed around by EMTV done a TV Christmas Movie for NBC and MFS (witch is my least Fav Muppet film, even tho i own the DVD). Now i seen people complan on the Board all the time and to say the least..... :excited: IT BUGS ME!!! lol, really t does! No one REALLY even know who Disney is goin to treat "our" Muppets there gang...the point is Mickey (and Eisner...even tho i dis like that guy...aLOT! lol) must really do care about Kermit & co., BoyRaisin2 is right on another thing too....about WB (even tho i don't like that company one darn bit!) they treat Scooby and the others like.....well..... crap! My little bro (when i come home on the wekends) he has a few scooby thing and the live actin mvie aswell but like BoyRaisin2 WB gives HB NO credit on toys or n e thing okay...so ya see HB in little little letters! And WB bought that hole company...and Looney Toons...oh my DON'T get me started on them ... haha... But come on gang you REALLY think Mickey is that dumb to spen $60000 or what ever to ruen the Muppets?? No!!! I for one is VERY happy Disney bought the Muppets... i mean Kids know a day (ok so maybe %50 of them) DON'T know who Kermit or Fozzie Bear are (un-less they see them on Vieo at sombodys house) but Kids have NO idea who Kermit is gang, They SS but thats it! :frown: and the Muppets NEED all the help they can get out of Disney...sure Disney my over expsse the Muppets....but own cares, i know If i go to Disney store or a wal mart i will be buyin EVERY Muppet thing thay have! :smile:

Sory about my rant gang...but i HAD to get it out lol :big_grin:

Byeeeeeee