Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Beebers said:
That poor mom who only wanted a muppet comforter has now run for zee hills from MC.

:frown: :frown: :frown:
I hope not! Maybe we can all pitch in and make her a muppet comforter...

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Hmm, that actually doesn't look too bad.

But that's only because I like logos. Other than that, just replace "Disney's" with "The."

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Hmm, that actually doesn't look too bad.

But that's only because I like logos. Other than that, just replace "Disney's" with "The."
I think it looks kind of scary! It looks so much better with the Jim Henson's muppets, they should always keep the Jim henson's part in it. If Jim Henson never existed its not like Disney would have thought up the muppets on their own.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Hey, I like new members too. I said it was maybe a coincidence. But of all places to post your FIRST post, why here? And then the numbers for "yes" Disney go up.

Just makes me laugh a little to myself.

Hee heh heh :big_grin:

As for Luke, yes, we agree to be different. I was just providing some recent news about the Disney way of things, which is to say that THEY DON'T GIVE A DARN about integrity.

Calling Vidalgo a true story when it is pure bunk. The forum moderator says that Disney has "veiled" racism, too. I toally agree.

Ah, Disney, you STINK like a pile of Oscar's garbage left to ROT in the summer daytime :grouchy:

Heh heh. Man, do I hate those guys :big_grin:

pawitz

Reaction score
Disney's Muppets - Good thing or Bad thing?

I not sure yet, but I think it may be a good thing. Only if Disney gets rid of Michael Eisner. But I do think the Henson Company should have held on to the Muppets. If Jim Henson and Walt Disney were alive, I think it would have been a perfect match. But Jim and Walt are not alive. So I hope that they can get rid of Eisner as fast as possible. Or I seriously think we will see the down fall and I hate to say it, but the disappearance of the Muppets.

Rod Beauvex

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
This just is out and out the dumbest... (Loud train rushes buy, drowning out all cuss words from audibility)...raggafragging thinbg they could have done.

I've had it with Henson's Bratty kids!
*chockes back a barrage of laughter* Best post in this thread.

*crosses arms* Nice Work.

(If anyone understands that, you get a cookie)

Oliver

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the contracts drawn between the two companies in light of this merger...

Is anyone aware of what specific rights Disney now holds to the Muppets franchise and is it limited only to distribution and/or production or does it pertain to the individual characters as well?

Can Disney, under contract, decide to break ties with the Henson company in order to produce and create new projects under their franchise using the classic Muppet characters if they were to so chose?

How much determination and pull will they now hold in terms of oversight into new Muppet prospects, i.e. - feature films, television specials, DTV releases, etc?

Finally, how does everyone view the potential viability of the classic Jim Henson works under this new contract?

Should I be anticipating re-issues of classic Muppet films in their respective OAR, Special Anniversary Editions, the potential for heavily cut television specials (Muppet Christmas, etc) to be restored to their original context for future home video release, etc. or be concerned that we will see more lackluster edited fullscreen prints as such we've seen from the Disney company of the past?

What about the potential for Season Box Sets of The Muppet Show and commercial DVD releases for Muppet Babies, etc?

I have been anticipating the release of further volumes of 'Best-Of' discs in the Columbia series for a long while, holding out on purchasing the current Muppet Show sets in optimism that more might be soon on the way... I am now contemplating whether I should scoop the current issues up while I can, or wait to see if Disney will offer the definitive releases that this show deserves?

Can anyone offer insight or opinion?

I'm not sure what the contract stipulates between these companies so right now I'm not really sure what to expect. I would like to know what those w/ discernment would think of the potential for some of the issues raised above?

I would also love to get some advice on whether I should shell out the dough for the current Columbia Muppet sets while they are still available, or wait to see what Disney offers as it is a pretty expensive collection and would be a shame to have to double dip on a 15+ DVD set in a year or two down the line...

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Oliver said:
I have a few questions regarding the contracts drawn between the two companies in light of this merger...

Is anyone aware of what specific rights Disney now holds to the Muppets franchise and is it limited only to distribution and/or production or does it pertain to the individual characters as well?

Can Disney, under contract, decide to break ties with the Henson company in order to produce and create new projects under their franchise using the classic Muppet characters if they were to so chose?

How much determination and pull will they now hold in terms of oversight into new Muppet prospects, i.e. - feature films, television specials, DTV releases, etc?

Finally, how does everyone view the potential viability of the classic Jim Henson works under this new contract?
Disney now owns all of the "classic" Muppet characters. The deal is NOT limited solely to production and distribution. Basically, Disney can do anything they want with the characters--from filming new movies to building Muppet attractions in their theme parks to producing new merchandise.

My understanding is that Henson has a sort of limited-term "consulting" deal as part of the sale. So, it reasons that they will be involved for the recent future. I don't know if it's an exclusive contract as of right now, but at some point (maybe right away) Disney will definitely be able to produce their own Muppet projects without Henson involvement.

As far as new projects, it sounds like Disney has already begun a few for television. Obviously, Disney has sole control over what projects get made in the future.

For older Henson stuff, it's a mixed bag. I'd imagine we'll see Muppet Babies and The Muppet Show back on cable TV within a year. Also, some older specials like Muppets @ Walt Disney World COULD be released within the first couple years (well, we can hope...). Muppet Family Christmas probably won't be released in its unedited form because Disney does not own the Sesame or Fraggle characters. I highly doubt they'd spend the money to secure the musical rights for a 15 year old TV special which co-stars characters they don't own (or profit from).

Anyway, hope this answers some of your questions. Also, a lot of that is obviously my opinion. There are people on the forum who can provide better "insider" insight. If anything above is incorrect, please post here with the correct (or more detailed) information. Thanks.