Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Luke said:
I think we've ALL established your stand on this issue Mark. I don't think there is anything really more to say on this until we actually see some proof of anything from either Disney or Henson.
And even THEN it won't put an end to the debate among Muppet fans. Because at the end of the day, people will believe whatever they want in spite of evidence that might prove them wrong. When we do finally get to see the new Muppet "Wizard of Oz" movie, I'm willing to bet there'll be the same intense debating that there is now. There'll be people who like the movie and say "The movie wasn't bad, I knew it things wouldn't be do bad" or those early fencesitters or naysayers (like myself) who say "hmm..maybe this means that Disney owning the Muppets won't be so bad after all" But then there'll be some people -- eternal pessimists, determined to believe the worst, no matter how good the movie might be will gloat and say "See? I told you it would suck. I TOLD you Disney would ruin the muppets!" Like I said, at the end of the day some people will believe whatever they want in spite of evidence that might prove them wrong.

I've been reading this thread since it started, but untill now have stayed out because like other people, I say we really can't say right now what this will mean. It's too early to make any predictions as of yet.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
" Because at the end of the day, people will believe whatever they want in spite of evidence that might prove them wrong."

Whose evidence then?

No, we are too sophisticated Muppet fans. We know the difference. And the others in culture know, too. In this months SPIN magazine with kurt Cobain on the cover is a small story about the Muppets. It says they are now "googly-eyed Pizza Hut shills" and the writer is RIGHT. He also says they were once "exceedingly cool." ANd he is RIGHT.

Then he reviews the new DVD of the Muppet SHow.

People who like the kiddie crap will like the new movie, and those people like all kiddie crap, and will say "Oh, better this than nothing! It will improve! It's not great, but I am happy with anything! Don't be negative!"

It will be stupid and cheap and it will SUCK.

My prediction :big_grin:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
People who like the kiddie crap will like the new movie, and those people like all kiddie crap, and will say "Oh, better this than nothing! It will improve! It's not great, but I am happy with anything! Don't be negative!"

Mark, out of curiousity--what would YOU do with the Muppets? Obviously, you're not a big fan of the Disney purchase or anything post-Jim (which is somewhat understandable), so what kind of projects would you like to see?

AndyL

Reaction score
I wonder how long the Muppets will remain puppets until they're 're-imagined' into some other form that's easier to mass-produce.

GonzoPimp

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
"
...we are too sophisticated Muppet fans. We know the difference. And the others in culture know, too. In this months SPIN magazine with kurt Cobain on the cover is a small story about the Muppets. It says they are now "googly-eyed Pizza Hut shills" and the writer is RIGHT. He also says they were once "exceedingly cool." ANd he is RIGHT.

My prediction :big_grin:
yes this is a man after my on heart. For both Disney and Henson money is the bottom line. I don't blame them, but I do look down on it. Though I don't blame the Henson Kids-at least not all of them. I really feel sorry for them. They've grown up Jim Henson's kids, I'm sure they never had a normal life growing up, and have had a huge burden of carrying their fathers business---not to mention they lost their father----that alone should cause everyone to cut them some slack.

BUT there is no excuse for whoring out the Muppets to Pizza Hut and Denny's. It puts me in such a bad mood every time I see that.

GonzoPimp

Reaction score
Plus, who cares is Disney is Evil-Anything would be better than what the Muppets have been subjected to as of late. I’ve always got the feeling the Henson Corp, although very nice, has never had the best of business sense.

Has everyone forgotten the EmTV fiasco. Isn’t it a whole lot better for Disney to own the Muppets, than The Father Land?

That should be on the Graph. Disney, Henson, German, or Other.

Lets have a new survey that could be fun.

McFraggle

Reaction score
The Disney acquisition has positives and negatives, but it has a lot more positives than the EMTV acquisition ever did.

Rugby

Reaction score
It would be nice if Disney released some good quality muppet puppets that didn't look and feel like they were made by Fisher Price for 3 year olds.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Rugby said:
It would be nice if Disney released some good quality muppet puppets that didn't look and feel like they were made by Fisher Price for 3 year olds.
Thats funny but true.