Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFraggle

Reaction score
I agree Luke, plus there is a sizable percentage of kids under say 10, who don't really know who the Muppets are. Aside from Muppets in Space and commercials, a lot of the younger kids don't really "know" Kermit and the gang. They might know Kermit as the guy on Sesame Street more than Kermit from the Muppet Show.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Seriously, if anyone could clear this up for me, I'd really appreciate it. As a Muppet fan for the better part of thirty years now, I'd always felt like I had a pretty firm grasp on the Henson company's thought process. But it totally confuses me as to why Brian Henson and his siblings felt the need to sell the Muppets to Disney in the first place. Or for that matter, why the need to sell the Muppets to anyone? Jim ran the company himself. Why can't they? It just seems to me that if everyone's so concerned about maintaining the integrity and history of these characters, then why sell them off to someone else? It's like saying I want my kid to be raised a certain way and to retain my own values, then giving him away to a whole other set of parents with their own agenda (keep in mind that I'm a child of adoption who has a happy relationship with both sets of parents, so that wasn't intended as a negative connotation). I hope I'm not coming across as ill informed or ignorant on the subject. I just don't see why Brian Henson has been so anxious to pass the Muppets off to Disney, especially after an anxious buy-back from that German company. It just seems suspicious and confusing.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Low case goods, I feel the same. It's like giving your kid away :big_grin:

Everybody says the HEnson kids need their own lives. Well, fine, but it is a tragedy that they want to turn their back on something so wonderful.

And yes, Disney IS SO BIG that they can afford a few million bucks to buy something just to eliminate the competition. What do they care for a few million?

I don't trust Disney one bit.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
And yes, Disney IS SO BIG that they can afford a few million bucks to buy something just to eliminate the competition. What do they care for a few million?
I'm sure they'll get right on that, right after they get a time machine, crash a ship in Roswell, help assassinate several U.S. presidents, and fake the moon landing.

:wink:

McFraggle

Reaction score
My 500th post.

Mark Filton said:
I'm more optimistic about the Disney deal than you are. I think that the Henson kids are the least of Mickey's problems. They are probably more worried about Pixar than they are the Muppets. With that being said, I think the Muppets could reach more new fans than they have in a long time. Many of us grew up with the Muppets, and I hope that when I have kids that they will have the opportunity to like them and watch them as well. :smile:

Beebers

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
I'm sure they'll get right on that, right after they get a time machine, crash a ship in Roswell, help assassinate several U.S. presidents, and fake the moon landing.

:wink:
roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl

:cool:

MJTaylor

Reaction score
King Prawn said:
give me a break, I swear if we ever get The Muppet Movie 2 i'll not only give up on Disney (which I already have unless Eisner gets kicked out) but i'll also give up on the Muppet's.
I would have thought that The Great Muppet Caper was Muppet Movie 2.

I don't know how I feel about this as I can see valid points on both sides of the augement.

LiLdUcKy

Reaction score
Well, I think it's a great idea! I mean, millions of kids watch Disney because adults know that it's a great program for growing kids. That means it will be many more kids' favorite show!

PiggyPerson

Reaction score
I like disney, i'm a fan but the truth is . . . they wont do well with the muppets :frown: They'll turn them into a money making scheme. What Jim Henson would of liked 15 years ago can't be done now because Disney 15 years ago is dead :cry: