Do you miss Sesame Street being age appropriate?

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Iv'e been thinking lately how much I miss the way things were when I could watch Sesame Street and nobody in my family would care cause that's what I was supposed to be watching. And they'd buy me Sesame Street stuff for my birthday, and they were proud that I liked Sesame Street, and it was okay. But when I got to be about 7 or so this stopped and people started telling me Sesame Street was a "baby" show and I was "too old" to be watching it. And I would have to hide the fact that I was watching it, and if someone was coming I'd turn the channell. I still have to do this now sometimes. But does anybody else miss the way things were back when it was okay with everyone else that u watched Sesame Street?

Censored

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Iv'e been thinking lately how much I miss the way things were when I could watch Sesame Street and nobody in my family would care cause that's what I was supposed to be watching. And they'd buy me Sesame Street stuff for my birthday, and they were proud that I liked Sesame Street, and it was okay. But when I got to be about 7 or so this stopped and people started telling me Sesame Street was a "baby" show and I was "too old" to be watching it. And I would have to hide the fact that I was watching it, and if someone was coming I'd turn the channell. I still have to do this now sometimes. But does anybody else miss the way things were back when it was okay with everyone else that u watched Sesame Street?
Honestly, the older I get, the less I care what anyone thinks. When I was a teenager and in my twenties it mattered a little, but now at 35, the people in my life can take me as I am or not take me at all. Anyone who knows me these days, knows that I am a Sesame Street fan and my home is decorated in a way that clearly shows it.

jediX

Reaction score
I don't mind either. The other day I was hanging out before class started and had TMM on and people came up to me and said how much they love Muppets. Sometimes people are just ashamed to admit they like something because they automatically assume that society will categorize them. I have nothing to lose -- I'm in college -- and more people than ever are coming out and admitting they love things from their childhood. I went through a phase where I wouldn't even talk about all the shows I loved as a kid, but now that the 80's are back I don't care about wearing a Ninja Turtles, Muppets, or Star Wars shirt; watching Muppets around other people; or just doing anything related.

There are parts of SS that are very boring to me (ahem, Journey to Ernie, Elmo's World). Always have been. But I still get a kick out of seeing one of my fave childhood tunes pop up on there, and even some of the recent plots have been great. The Cookie Hood episode was hilarious. Yes, it is a children's show but so was Muppet Babies, and I still LOVE watching Muppet Babies episodes. They're great, timeless entertainment that pretty much anyone can enjoy, so long as they're not evil or something.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that what GeeBee said is very true. As you get older and older, it starts to matter less and less. Being made fun of mostly happens in elementary and middle school, and a little bit of high school, but it does not happen in college very much. But I do agree. In fact, on another forum I belong to for something entirely different, I often feel the need to talk about Sesame Street over there, and no one there respects me for it at all. In fact, they say some awful things about it. But they don't have too many rules on that forum, like they do on this one. I was so tickled when I found there was a place to talk about Sesame Street with other people who are fans of the show, and they remember and they know a lot about it.

Frazzle

Reaction score
There should never be anything shameful about educational fun. Nostalgia is the greatest feeling ever, & Sesame Street is full of fond memories that helped educate & entertain so many people in the last 30+ years. Sometimes it takes a good amount of years to really appreciate the sweetness of life's little memories.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
for years especially back in the 80 when i was past the target age enjoyed SS and even Mr. Rogers sometimes even though that show might not be as easilly watchable as SS. i can undersatand why people might see it strange to either discuss kid shows when your older or even watch them when your older. i often find it strange myself watching SS or others. in the case of SS and this has been pointed out though aimed at pre-schoolers, at the same time they've made the show so adults can enjoy it with their kids and it must be true because when i was older, and especially if i saw an old clip of anykind such as the Dragnet spoof, had no idea or even understood that the cops were dumb enough to fall for the W's trick. but as i got older, i realized where this idea for this skit came from. and they did that a lot. the kids might of not understood it but the adults with them did especially if it was a show like Dragnet witch would had to have been off the air at that point but of course the parents and grandparents would of rememebred the show from their childhood or their younger adult years. i watched Square 1 TV when that was running inspite my age i look at it as the Math version of The Electric Company. they seemed simaller. unlike SS, there was no set and everybody did different skits throughout the show. they were like variety shows. Between the Lions is not that bad. though i'd prefer The Electric Company to that any time. i've even watched the current Zoom series quite a bit since it's returned to the air 5 years ago.now there are a lot of kid shows i probably wouldn't watch. even SS is a little bit hard to watch theese days. but they can be interesting regardlees of age. i don't know how many older people whether older kids or adults watch kids shows. probably not many. though there could be more than what might be imagined.that's why even before Noggin that many of the older shows should be run once in a while for those few that enjoy them.

WiGgY

Reaction score
If you watch Sesame Street, and you are an adult, that's kind of weird. I tune it in from time to time just to see what's up, but to actually sit and watch it? That's just weird to me.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
If you watch Sesame Street, and you are an adult, that's kind of weird. I tune it in from time to time just to see what's up, but to actually sit and watch it? That's just weird to me.
Unless you're waiting for a classic Bert and Ernie sketch. Other than that, your brain just goes numb. I miss the episodes from BEFORE I was born!

core

Reaction score
When I was a little girl, I watch more to documentary of the nature than to Sesame Street (and I'm still fond to watch naturial documentarys).
I get interests in Sesame Street when I get older! <<(Yes thats also possible)!
I watch to Sesame Street with an eye how the creators of Sesame Street try to make a comby with a kind of humor wich is accessible for children and adults both. I think thats cleverly!
The philosofies wich have got the creators remain backstage are also interesting for me.

It don't care me if other people think I'm mad, when I have got interests in Sesame Street.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, believe it or not, I was talking to someone very special last night. She's not from this forum, and I'm not going to tell you who she is, but she said that she loves SS as well. I never would have thought that, in fact, I actually had a feeling that she has never even HEARD OF SS. She thinks it's an awesome show, and she and her sister still watch the reruns they saved when they taped them! I wish I could trade with them, but again, this is a very special person, and I don't think she's allowed to for federal reasons, and she's not allowed to give out her address. :frown: But isn't that a small world? My cousin Jenna actually told me that a lot more people like SS than you would think. Maybe not as much as us here on MC, but they don't hate it. Has that ever happened to any of you?