Einsner demoted today

duderguy

Reaction score
:confused: :confused: I was shocked tonight when i came to the board tonightand i saw no one was talkaing about this. http://www.detnews.com/2004/business/0403/04/
I heard about it toady around luch time. What does this mean for the muppets? Did anyone else know about this? or did i just miss it somwhere on the site? :confused:

FigmentGonzo

Reaction score
It actually happened right after the shareholder meeting on Wednesday. Eisner is still CEO, just not chairman as well. That honor goes to Eisner's puppet George Mitchell. I think the move was to show the public that the Disney board listens. But it's still not enough - Eisner AND Mitchell need to go - and soon!

However -- no one (at least to my knowledge) has been named as a possible replacement for Eisner, so as of now he's staying. But have no fear - change is coming.

As for what this means regarding the Muppets - as of right now pretty much nothing. Nothing has really changed, except for some minor deflation of Eisner's fat head.

Jessica

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Some senator that was on the board of directors has taken Eisner's place (interim only).

FigmentGonzo

Reaction score
That would be George Mitchell, former senator of (Maine, I think?).

He's now chairman, Eisner is still going strong as CEO.

beaker

Reaction score
Who knows where the mad hatter Eisner will drive Disney next(off a cliff?)
I didnt know he was as old as I had read...interesting.

Luke

Reaction score
I don't think Eisner is that bad - i think people are mistaking him for the whole of the Disney board. Various people i know and respect have got on fine with him and so did Jim Henson. Ever thought Disney and the press have been making him the scapegoat? He's just a very savvy and hugely succesful businesman.

FigmentGonzo

Reaction score
No, it is the whole board. That's why I voted to withhold 4 of them on my proxies. They are lacking people with creative vision, and that is the problem. See, Eisner is great for finding ways to cut costs and he has been saving the company money. But that can go too far, as evidenced now. He's the ringleader of a board full of puppets that do whatever they are told. In reference to making parks "on the cheap" Eisner has been quoted as saying "we've spent far more than the shareholders would probably want." It's all about the shareholders to him and the board - not how happy the fans are. I'm both, so I see it from both sides. The stock may go up - but at what cost? Cutting so many corners that you alienate all of the people who are paying for a piece of the magic?

You are correct, it's not just Eisner. But he is a major, major part of the problem.

Jessica

The Narrator

Reaction score
The problem is exacerbated by people like Eisner in charge. I think any successful corporation has to have some people in high places who care most about the profitability of the company, but these companies need a visionary at the helm, someone who steers solely by the dream. I think someone like Eisner would be important to the board. I just don't think he should be in charge. ...Especially now that Disney has their hands on a property that I actually cherish.