The Muppets head for Oz

What do you think of the Muppet Wizard of Oz script?

• I like that it will be based on the book

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • I wish it was based on the movie

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • I wish they would do something original

Votes: 54 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McFraggle

Reaction score
muppetmaniac said:
i think that i am happy if they do anything with the muppets, i miss them...
I agree, hopefully it is a good movie. :smile:

McFraggle

Reaction score
It is scheduled to be a tv movie airing on ABC here in the U.S.

mb22

Reaction score
Jim Hill article

According to jimhillmedia.com

""But what about the 'Muppet Wizard of Oz"?," you ask. "Wasn't that TV movie that supposed to go into production this summer, and then pop up on ABC as a special to air during November sweeps?" Well ... It's looking like it could take a little while longer for Kermit & Co. to head "Over the Rainbow." Though this project is still said to be a "Go," it's now looking less and less likely that the "Muppet Wizard of Oz" will wind up going before the cameras before the fall. In fact, according to some of the folks I've spoken with, this two-hour ABC special (Which is still tentatively slated to air as an episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney") may not actually begin shooting 'til late November / early December. With this special then not airing 'til May of 2005.

And -- once again -- the economies kick in. Supposedly, Henson's Muppeteers have been told that they'll probably going to have to do some traveling in order to shoot "Oz." In one scenario, the cast & crew is just heading over the US border to Vancouver in order to shoot the show. In another, more bizarre scenario, Disney's accountants allegedly proposed sending the "Muppet Wizard of Oz" project to South Africa. Where (I'm told) the Mouse reportedly thinks that it can get a lot more bang for its buck."

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
So, it's cheaper to send the production to be filmed overseas? The mouse is nuts.

Gusworld

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
So, it's cheaper to send the production to be filmed overseas? The mouse is nuts.
If Disney did send the production overseas, they'd hardly be the first company to ever do so. To quote the most obvious example, Farscape was filmed in Australia because it's much cheaper than the US. This kind of offshore production happens all the time, especially for TV where budgets are tighter -- though Canada is a more frequent target than South Africa, as far as I can see.