Sesame sign and word skits

mikebennidict

Reaction score
a dangerous moment at Luis' Fix It Shop.

Luis notices his awning was about to fall down so puts up a Danger sign and Big Bird though reads it, instead of understand why it's there, he talks to everyone about what the word means, the awning begins to slip. can't remember too much about it other than i think it comes close to falling on BB and Luis scolds him for being careless.

FshyFshyFshy

Reaction score
Remember the live action sequence with the kids at the theater watching an old silent film with a woman trying to find the right door to get out (I think her building was on fire)...and the kids keep yelling to go out the EXIT! I thought I remember there being a spanish version of that clip, or just the use of a spanish word, but can't remember for sure.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
no there wasn't. there's were a coupl of others where a guy comes home from work and the kids tell him not to open the door because of the Danger sign that's on it. 3 times they tell him not to but he does it anyhow.

Nicole

Reaction score
I remember one about the word "Help." It was the four letters of help stranded on a deserted island and they were trying to get the helicopters' attention but when they would get together and shout, the word would be spelled wrong and the pilots did not understand them. One pilot would say "I wonder what "PLEH" means." The other pilot would say "I don't know." The other misspelling spelled "LEPH." Since the pilots did not understand, they would fly away. Finally, the letters got into the correct spelling and the pilots understood them and rescued them. "Hey, they need help! Let's help them!"

Rosewood

Reaction score
Heres 2 Grover ones for ya'.

First of all, who remembers the old film of Grover using a set of swinging doors to demonstrate the words Around, Over, Under, and through. He basically sings "around, around, around, around" as he runs around them, then he says "over" as he looks over them, "under" as he peeks under them, and "through" as he comes through them. He also demonstrates "near" and "far" as he stands next to the camera and then runs away from it. The funny thing about it is that he asks the T.V. audience if they understand, then shakes his head and says "You doooooon't understand!" and then he proceeds to do it all over again and he does it like 3 or 4 times untill he finally colapses on the floor! (I saw it for the first time in the video "A celebration of Me, Grover!")
The second one is where a little girl is sitting on "The wall" with an arrow sign standing next to her pointing in one direction. Grover comes along and asks what the sign means, and she tells him it means to go in the direction the arrow is pointing. As he proceeds to go in that direction, suddenly the sign turns so it points in the opposite direction. As he turns around and starts in that direction, the sign flips again! This happens over and over (with the girl laughing so hard she almost goes into hysterics) untill finally Grover simply collapses on the floor in front of the sign, at which point the front of the arrow drops, so it is now pointing "down"!:stick_out_tongue:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Cookie and Grover

There's a nice one where Cookie Monster is by a Bus Stop sign.

Cookie: "This is the word BUS, which means the bus comes by here.
This is the word STOP, which means the bus stops here.
(Off-screen sound of a running motor) "BEEP BEEP!!"
Cookie: "Oh, good, here comes the bus!"

We don't actually see the bus, but it seems to pass by Cookie, and blows a few leaves in his face.

In frustration, Cookie breaks off the STOP part of the sign and eats it.

There's also one with Grover demonstrating DANGER. He sees a DANGER sign, and looks all around for anything dangerous, but there's nothing to be found.
He walks off-screen to the left and right, no danger.

Grover (Looks up) "Is danger UP THERE? No. (Looks down) Is danger DOWN THERE? No. Is danger over here? (Here Grover looks RIGHT into the camera lens, giving you a VERY tight close-up of his fuzzy face, which, when you're four years old watching on a big 26-inch tv screen, can easily freak you out)
Nope! Maybe danger back there! (Walks back by sign) No, danger not back here either! Aww, silly sign!" Then he trips and falls over the sign CRASH BOOM BANG!!! Silly Grover!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
huum. I remember now that you discribed it though unfortunatly I can't picture it. so often when I remember such stuff I usually can picture such things but I can't with this onew. Obviously it would of been 1 of those Muppet segment withn the brick wall and either a yellow, blue pink or whatever the color was and over the years they used different colors or them. But thanks for bringing this 1 up I totally forgot it till now. don't know if this 1 was repeated in the 80s like so many were.

SesameMike

Reaction score
There was this one scary, if absurd, sketch about the word Danger.

I believe the two characters here were Bob and some girl Muppet (Betty Lou?). The setting is sort of outdoorsy, but still behind a Muppet "wall" (or was is a mound of grass serving that purpose), with a high-rise building in the background. The girl kept coming up to Bob with some lettered building blocks, and was somehow asking him to help spell out the word DANGER. When the word was completed, Bob wanted to know what danger it was referring to. The girl replies that it was a warning. Motioning towards the structure in the background, she said "I live on the fifth floor of this building. And we accidentally(*) threw the piano out the window."

We then hear a shattering crash sound, presumably augmented by vibrations of piano wire (Did we see something drop as well?). Bob says something, then adds "but thanks for the warning."

(*) Umm, sorry. "Accidentally" means you picked up a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup at the grocery when you meant to buy Campbell's Vegetable. Not something like THAT. Perhaps there was a detail that was edited, or I just don't remember correctly?

ISNorden

Reaction score
"YO" and accidents

I remember that "YO" cartoon-song..my Spanish vocabulary is not that good, but the lyrics basically translate to "I am [whatever the boy was pretending to be]", ending with "I am tired" [at which he curls up and sleeps on top of the word].

As for accidentally dropping a piano from a fifth-story window...it's highly unlikely, but could still happen if the window were big enough and the piano-movers were clumsy enough. Hey, Sesame Street has always let weird things happen! :smile: