Your Thoughts: The Street We Live On

What did you think of "The Street We Live On" special?

• I thought it was good

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • I was very disappointed

Votes: 52 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DancingLauren

Reaction score
And I thought I was the only one who hated Elmo. Hee hee hee. I want kick that red rug off of sesame street for good! The best part of the whole show was the GOOD flashbacks during the credits, when they showed all the years... like "the king of 8s", all the ernie and bert stuff, "teeny little superguy" and all that. Good old sesame days. This is what i have to stay to the NEW sesame street: :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Cheebo

Reaction score
First off I loved it. Also Elmo rocks. You Elmo bashers make me sick.

The Good:
- A lot more Snuffy than I expected
-The classic sketches like Song of 10 and Typewriter guy.
-Dance My Self To Sleep (my personal favorite E&B son).
-Grover OWNED the show he made it perfect.
Grover: Look its Gordon...and he still bald. I guess somethings never change.
-The freaking peacock. Grover tried to show us a nice Chinese dance but the peacock kept tap dancing.
-Bert on Elmo's World.
"Bert: Have you seen Ernie?
Elmo: Yeah he was playing hide & seek with Big Bird!
Bert: Oh..er where am I?
Elmo: DOODODODO! ELMO'S WORLD!
Bert: Er... how does one get off of Elmo's World?
Elmo: Elmo doesn't know"
- Kermit The Frog!!!!!
- The taxi voice over by Elmo about seat belts
- They showed David & Oliva! I thought Sesame Workshop pretended they never existed.
- Freaking Mr. Hooper! It was so touching seeing him play with those kids.
- The closing song. Really touching stuff.
- The ending montage of the classic clips from EVERY year of the show including great stuff like Hooper's death, tiny little super guy, One of these things is not like the other, the first shows opening, Slimey in space..etc.
- Mahna Mahna over the ending credits a nice treat.

The Bad:
- A little to much Elmo much like the 30th Anniversary special. I love Elmo but some stuff went a little overboard.
- We didn’t need the "How does cookie monster eat a cookie?" stuff. They could of done something with Mr. Noodle that was...more anniversaryish.
- The time travel stuff was too short.
- Aww come on why did we need the oprea "C Is For Cookie"? I want the Cookie Monster one!

Overall the good outweighs the bad and I still think this is the best of the 3 anniversary shows I saw(35th, 30th, & 25th I never saw 20th)

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
Dissapointed SS Fan

I was also disappointed with the special overall. While I appreciated the classic bits included, it just didn't feel like the "special" they advertised. I mean, if it was advertised for it's normal time slot, I wouldn't have room to complain too much. I suppose I was spoiled by the previous anniversary shows I've seen(20th, 25th) I don't think I ever saw the 30th special, if there was one.

I look more foward to the DVD release this week. At least I know what I'm getting with that.

And I echo the sentiments of other fans, there should be some sort of "classic" reissue of older SS footage and clips, either in primetime or on DVD. There is a market for it, I can't believe they haven't explored it.

Well, if the recent DVD does well, maybe it will open the doors for more classic DVD releases.

GonzoPimp

Reaction score
Well, its seems like most people didn't like the special, and the ones that did either seem have a personal connection to the show or are in denial. There are always those people-especially on this site-that love the Muppets and SS no matter how junky it is. They seem to think they are loyal and don’t realize as long as people support junk thats what you get (Home on the Range-Starring Rosanne Bar!?!).

Elmo's World is a rip off of Blues Clues-though not as good-and SS has become Barney with Elmo talking T-Tex-except Elmo
A) seems to have an imaginary friend or
B) Prefers to talk in third person, which supposedly has to do with "how kids talk" though I deal with 100 kids a day and I've never heard one talk like that.

It’s really sad. There is magic missing from SSTNG (Sesame Street the Next Generation).

Also Kevin Clash and Elmo have the SS peps by their pair. I noticed he co-directed the special filled with Elmo...though I hear he is a really nice guy -two old ladies told me that once (no joke!).

bottom line: An Anniversary Special should not have to “fit in” as regular show to save money, and Elmo (no matter how you feel about him) should not have super sized TV screen time.

Splurge

Reaction score
GonzoPimp said:
Elmo's World is a rip off of Blues Clues-though not as good-and SS has become Barney with Elmo talking T-Tex-except Elmo
B) Prefers to talk in third person, which supposedly has to do with "how kids talk" though I deal with 100 kids a day and I've never heard one talk like that.
My first thought why Elmo talked in third person what because that's what a lot of the early Henson monsters would do. I remember Cookie Monster refered to himself as "Monster" at times in early skits, although "me" became his first person pronoun of choice.

GonzoPimp

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read Kevin Clash's an explanation of Elmo's voice being based on his Nephews or some other 3 year old kids. I can't seem to find it now. Though I'm sure, someone will post a link or a lengthy explanation soon enough.

I'll keep looking though.

Cheebo

Reaction score
GonzoPimp said:
Well, its seems like most people didn't like the special, and the ones that did either seem have a personal connection to the show or are in denial. There are always those people-especially on this site-that love the Muppets and SS no matter how junky it is. They seem to think they are loyal and don’t realize as long as people support junk thats what you get (Home on the Range-Starring Rosanne Bar!?!).

It’s really sad. There is magic missing from SSTNG (Sesame Street the Next Generation).

Also Kevin Clash and Elmo have the SS peps by their pair. I noticed he co-directed the special filled with Elmo...though I hear he is a really nice guy -two old ladies told me that once (no joke!).

bottom line: An Anniversary Special should not have to “fit in” as regular show to save money, and Elmo (no matter how you feel about him) should not have super sized TV screen time.

I dont have a personal connection to Elmo. But I love him and Elmo's World and I am not in denial and I betcha all the other supporters arent either.

GonzoPimp

Reaction score
Cheebo said:
First off I loved it. Also Elmo rocks. You Elmo bashers make me sick.
sorry to make you sick. but...

Cheebo said:
The Bad:
- A little to much Elmo much like the 30th Anniversary special. I love Elmo but some stuff went a little overboard.
- The time travel stuff was too short.
Doesn't this mean you didn't like the special? If you think there was too much Elmo, imagine me (us) and not enough time traveling-meaning you wanted to see older things or not see things you did.

GonzoPimp

Reaction score
Sorry for my the rude behavior and name calling. That’s not very nice. But…

Can we at least agree that Elmo's World is a rip off of Blue's Clues?
The visuals, the way Elmo happens to be alone (for the most part) and has to talk directly to the camera, the way we hear children's voices but never see them, and the kicker is we look for Ernie (just like we look for Clues)?

But like I said before it is not as good. At least you have to think a little with the clues, get to see a drawing, and watch Steve (or whoever it is now) dance.

It’s a sad day when the most groundbreaking kids TV program takes its cues from Nick Jr. It just makes me bitter and mean.
Sorry.

Cheebo

Reaction score
Just because I didn't say it was perfect doesnt mean I didn't love it. Also a ripoff of blues clues? Blues Clues is about searching for clues and putting together to what it means that doesnt fit Elmo's World. If anything is like Blues Clues is Journey To Ernie. Also if it is a "ripoff" at all on Sesame Street who cares? Blues Clues was amazingly popular with little kids meaning that style worked. Sesame's random skitness was making the show not do so well. When the followed the new style, the more morden type of childrens programming ratings shot up meaning kids love the new "blues clues ripoff". And thats ALL the matters.