Worst Muppet Film

BornBlue

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
People just have different opinions, your intitaled to one, I'm intitaled to one, but Kevin's not. :wink:

Sooo, I guess the point to all of this is.... Peoples is peoples.
I know and absolutely agree with you 100%... just trying to spark some debate and have all the young bucks on the board go back and rewatch the Muppet Movie to (re)discover its magic and humor. I think it gets funnier as you get older!

Pigpen

Reaction score
Totally agree

I must say that your opinions on the Muppet Movie being THE muppet classic is spot on.

I couldn't agree more as everything is so well executed from dialogue to musical numbers and simply has everything a good muppet movie should have (and things the more recent ones could learn a thing or two from - even though i still like them of course! :smile: )

Labyrinth is by far the best live action fantasy ever made as it has the lot aswell.

I can't understand why things have gone a little awry recently eg. no great music numbers in MFS and the general sub-parness of KSY. Lets hope Disney are more discerning on what scripts are Ok'ed in future.

Stulz

Reaction score
Spot On!

BornBlue:
1. The Muppet Movie
2. The Great Muppet Caper
3. Muppets Take Manhatten
3. Follow That Bird
4. Labrynth
5. Dark Crystal
6. Muppets From Space
7. Muppet Treasure Island
8. A Very Merry Myppet Christmas Movie
9. Muppet Christmas Carol
10. Kermit Swamp Years
11. Muppet Classic Theater

Your list is pretty much spot on!

Anyway, I think while Follow that Bird is a strech as a "Muppet" movie it's place on the list is Perfect!

Ok... here's my list(s)...

"Muppet" Movies:

1. The Muppet Movie (tie) 2. The Great Muppet Caper
3. Muppets Take Manhatten
6. Muppets From Space
7. Muppet Treasure Island
9. Muppet Christmas Carol
8. A Very Merry Myppet Christmas Movie

SS movies:

1. Follow That Bird
10. Elmo in Grouchland

Fantasy films:

1. Labrynth
2. Dark Crystal

Direct to Video:
1. Kermit's Swamp Years
2. Muppet Classic Theater

Here are my thoughts/ added opions:

Muppet Movies:
Although overall The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper top my list, I like the characters personalities in Muppets Take Manhatten as well as the modern setting, and the puppets look overall better then TMM & GMC.
I also tend to like the Muppet characters as themselves or a variation of themseves. Plus with MCC as someone posted around her before "It might as well been called Micheal Caine's Christmas Carol with The Muppets"

As for VMC: it has to go the bottom of the "Muppet Movie" list for me. The production values just aren't there compared to the other features (due to the fact that this was a TV Movie) and for the fact that even on DVD there are commercial fade outs: It feels like a TV Movie and not a true feature film.

SS Movies:
Follow That Bird is a far supearer film to Elmo in Grouchland. FTB was filmed out in the "real" world with feature film production values. EiG was obviously shot entitrely on sets and it just has a very cheap look and feel to it.

Fantasy films:
Here's where it gets tricky: Labrynth overall is a just a better film.
Dark Crystal while still a great film and whith amazing puppetry effects, tends get bogged down in it's pacing, while Labrynth zips right along creating the whirlwind effect that Sarah must feel after going through it.

Direct to Video:
I set such a low expectation for Kermit's Swamp Years then when I wachted it I acually enjoyed IT! The human actors leave much to be disired, but the overall quailty and In-jokes are great. Muppet Classic Theater on the other hand, looks just what it is: A cheap Mupets throw-to-gether with way to much Gonzo and Rizzo (comming off MCC) and not enough of the supporting Muppets involved.

Thoughts?

BornBlue

Reaction score
Stultz, it appears you and I share a brain! That's dangerous!

Your lists and descriptions are right on... The reason AVMMCM topped the Muppet Christmas Carol on my list was because AVMMCM was original and it seemed to me a step in the right direction... the Fozzie subplot was great! And I liked Gonzo's song!

I've never seen Elmo in Grouchland so I couldn't rate it.

And I did actually enjoy Kermit's Swamp Years a bit.

dmx10101

Reaction score
I saw the great muppet caper a few days ago for the first time and I must say it's down there with KSY's at being the worst Muppet movie. It wasn't even that Muppety and it was very boring. Ick! :sympathy:

BornBlue

Reaction score
Wow, Dmx10101...

If the Great Muppet Caper is not Muppety, then what is?!? The zaniness of the Happiness Hotel, all the Muppets going on Kermit's date, the frantic scene in the museum with the Baseball Diamond with Lewis Kazagger reporting.... Now that's what I call Muppety Fun!!!

Klonoa

Reaction score
I do kind of agree with Dmx. Muppet Caper was a bit slow paced in areas. There were some fun parts in areas like the Happiness Hotel and all the Muppets on the double decker bus, but many other parts just seemed kind of boring and pointless to me. But that's just my opinion. Lots of other people seem to like Muppet Caper, and that's OK with me! :smile:

--Klonoa

Drtooth

Reaction score
Caper is my second favorite of the TMS muppet movies (the 2 SS ones I find seperate) but I have to say, Charles Grodin was wooden and unpleasant. he lacked the charisma of all the other Muppet Movie villains. I mean, sure... like Doc Hopper, Joan Cuzzack, and Tim Curry, they were over the top... but that's what made them fun. Charlie was... sorta under the bottom.... :sympathy:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Caper is my second favorite of the TMS muppet movies (the 2 SS ones I find seperate) but I have to say, Charles Grodin was wooden and unpleasant. he lacked the charisma of all the other Muppet Movie villains. I mean, sure... like Doc Hopper, Joan Cuzzack, and Tim Curry, they were over the top... but that's what made them fun. Charlie was... sorta under the bottom.... :sympathy:
"It's because he's a villain... pure and simple."