The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

jellyman kelly

Reaction score
lets bring up some sad but wonderful memories..

just about everything in the dark crystal is really tough on the old tear ducts..from start to finish, you cry every kind of tear there is....tears of sadness, fear, hope and joy. that ending when you just know that the new civilization is going to be born and live forever in peace, wow. *exhales audibly..*

the whole muppet show episode with john denver in it. even the happy parts are emotional to watch..

dont want to live on the moon chokes me up for some reason, so does lower case n. how is it that a silly little cartoon about two n's not being lonely anymore can bring out such a strong reaction..?

there is a sketch, and i think that its kermit, not sure from where, but he sings "if i were a farmer, id give you a bunny, if i had a beehive, you would get free honey..." then at the end it says something about how hes none of those things, but the person hes singing to loves him anyway. i think thats how i feel about my other half, i would love to use it in our wedding somewhere..anywho..

this thread has got me on the verge of bawling, how weird..

:cry:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Welp, I've fin'lly got somethin' to add to this thread.

For months now it's been kinda "Well, I love the Muppets, and I know when they make me laugh, but I dunno about cryin'..."

Until now.

I re-watched this special a while back, and I have to say that the final scene in "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson" is my most tear-jerking Muppet moment. When Piggy, Scooter, Gonzo, and the others read some of the letters, it's heartbreaking. And especially when they show that one letter to the viewer, scrawled out by a small child too young to really understand all the circumstances...i--it's just too much (I'm gettin' a li'l misty-eyed just rememberin' it).

I think that 2nd place in this category, for me, would be in FR's "Change of Address" when Gobo and the others rush into Outer Space to relay the Trash Heap's message to Doc, and it's too late. Gobo's despondance and depression over missing his golden opportunity just crushes yer li'l fraggle-lovin' heart while his own heart breaks.

Those are my top two.

Johnny Fiamma

Reaction score
The "Saying Goodbye" song from MTM was a boo-hooer....

But it was nothing in comparison to Bob, Gordon, Maria, and the others explaining Mr. Hooper's death on Sesame Street.

Iluvgus

Reaction score
Hi im new but I will jump inThe sceene in muppet takes mathaten where there singing sayingi good bye. The sceene in the muppet movie where gonzo sings im going to go back there someday . The sceene in muppet takes manhatten where kermit and piggy get married. The muppet special when jim henson died where they sing if just one person believes in you. The muppets rule! :smile:

Fozzie54

Reaction score
Ol' Buddy Bert said:
Not to get off subject but I remember that day quite well too.

I came home from high school that afternoon. I had known that Jim Henson was ill, I think from the night before, but still his death was quite a shock. I remember sitting on my couch rather numb. I don't want to sound melodramatic, I mean, Jim wasn't a member of my family but still...when his creations have left such an indelible impression on not just your life but your childhood, the years of innocence and wonder, it was very sad...and very unfortunate.

Scott
I wanted to respond to this because I know exactly what you mean. I was only 12 when Jim died. I sat in front of the TV sobbing. As I was only 12 I remember feeling confused and a little embarrassed :embarrassed: as to why I was so upset since Jim wasn't someone I knew personally. But- as you mentioned, we really feel the loss when someone makes such an impression on our lives, especially during our childhood. My brother put one of those Fisher Price Fozzie Bears in my crib when I was born and I've been hooked on the Muppets ever since. I've even got a new FP Fozzie that I'm saving for when I have my own children.

I must say that when Jim died I felt rather alone in my pain... besides my mom I've never met another die-hard Muppet fan in person to discuss these things with. I have friends who enjoy the Muppet Show and movies, but I know they just don't share the same emotional bond with the Muppets as I do (if that makes any sense.) I was so crushed when I couldn't go to Muppetfest and meet other Muppet fans in person. I hope I can get to the next one so I can meet some of you. It's been so wonderful visiting this forum and talking with people who understand my love of the Muppets, and why I cried when Jim Henson died. To see the way Jim has touched so many of us around the world is amazing. Just the thought of that makes me want to cry with joy!

I'd have to say I felt a major loss when John Denver died as well. He did some wonderful things with the Muppets, and his early death was a tragedy.

Other Muppet moments that make me weepy:

-Robin singing "Just One Person" with Bernadette Peters
-scene from MCC when Tiny Tim has died
-Fozzie getting upset when Kermit is going on a date without him in MC
-Ernie and Bert giving up their favorite things to buy each other presents in Christmas Eve on SS

There are so many.... thanks for letting me share!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree with what you said there. I was fairly young when Jim died too, but I remember him very well. In fact, I've seen him as himself (rather than as Kermit, Ernie, etc.) on several occasions. It was tragic to lose him. As for John Denver. Well, I didn't know him very well at the time. I think it was when I received the Timelife video with his appearance on The Muppet Show that I got to know him. I also like hearing him sing with Kermit on the Christmas CD. His death was another tragic loss.

turlem

Reaction score
either saying goodbye, or rowlf preforming "what a wonderful world"(**** song gets me every time, even if preformed by a dog) does anybody know when that was on TMS i only have a recording of it

Fozzie54

Reaction score
turlem said:
either saying goodbye, or rowlf preforming "what a wonderful world"(**** song gets me every time, even if preformed by a dog) does anybody know when that was on TMS i only have a recording of it
According to Kermitage, it's from the Don Knotts episode.

Cap Backfire

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been said...

OK, I don't know if this was posted or not, but here's mine...

Muppets Take Manhattan, all the Muppets are splitting up cause their dream of a Broadway show is in the crapper, and everyone sets out. I'm FINE through the whole thing, thinking it's all a joke, and then FOZZIE :embarrassed: leaves Kermit :smile: . This was the SADDEST moment of my life. I had no jokes, nothing to say. I sat there and cried, and cursed God for letting this happen. I was devestated. I don't think I have cried that hard since. :cry:

In retrospect, I don't think my crying moment matches the lucky Muppeteer who got to sing on stage with Jim Henson in Sweet Ums gear!!! DUDE!!! I would STILL be peeing my pants!!! Congrats on a rare, fantastic, unbelievable moment. That tops all my stories times TEN. At least!!! :excited: