Clothes

Skeet

Reaction score
I was just wondering if you guys make your own clothes. If you do is their an easy way to like figure out how to make them? Also accesories like hats, glasses, and maby a pirate patch for the eye. I was looking at some websites and puppet clothes are awfully expensive.

Sorry for the way i asked the question my head isn't all here.
hope you understand what i'm trying to say :stick_out_tongue:

skeet

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
What size is your puppet? If you can't find children's clothing that fits, then I'll draw up a quick easy pattern that you could sew with a cheap cotton blend fabric that you can pick up for less than $2 at Joann's fabric.

I get my accessories like patches, and other neat stuff from a local costume shop where the prices are pretty good. They have a large variety of childrens hats that I use too.

I get regular glasses from the local Stop n Shop (cheap grocery store) where the reading glasses are only $1, and any local dollar store sells childrens sunglasses for $1.

-Michele

PS: I would need length from neck to bottom edge, width around chest, width around neck, and circumference of the arm. (It's early, is circumference the distance around the outside??) Anyway.... thats what I'd need to make a custom pattern for ya.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I find hats and accessories the most time-consuming things to make...if you're puppet is small enough (10" - 16" or so) a good source for hats, accessories and even some clothing is Build-A-Bear Workshop - their web site is www.buildabear.com.

Skeet

Reaction score
How much would would the pattern cost? The only thing with this puppet is his head is really big. Probably bigger then his body. Know that i think about it i think that was probably not a smart thing to do. Probably be hard to get the clothes over his big head. I haven't gotten the dimensions yet but i will get them later and then get back to ya.

skeet

p.s. Thanks a lot for the help

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Well, let me see ummmmm................... FREE! It's no big deal. It's an easy pattern to create. Actually, I thought I saw one on the internet before too, I'll have to see if I can find it. Hey Buck, wasn't something like that on the Agape players website? I think that shirt might have been too big for what skeet needs though.

I don't put the clothes for my puppets on over the heads either, You can put the puppets body and arms thru the neck opening and then put their arms thru the sleeves from the inside... it's easy, I do it all the time.

-M

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
ha ha.... I have a Free shirt pattern on my site from the Agape players! I don't know what size it is, but you can take a look. Let me know if you still need one and I'll make it for you.

http://www.puppet-planet.com/Build_Your_Own.htm

Thats the link to the "Build Your Own" section on my site where there are several free patterns, diagrams, and helpful information in regards to building puppets.

-M

PS: Oops, nevermind, I just went to their site and it looks like it's no longer an active web site. That stinks, they had some good stuff. That will teach me to archive that stuff on my own web pages. :frown:

Skeet

Reaction score
Puppetplanet said:
Hey Buck, wasn't something like that on the Agape players website? I think that shirt might have been too big for what skeet needs though.
I need some for smaller puppets but when you mention a bigger shirt. How big are we talking about? I'm creating a human arm type puppet but it's going to be way bigger then a regular puppet.

Another thing was that when i got to your site the shirts and stuff from agape didn't go through. Is their a way i could still get that? I saw some other stuff that i might want also. Thanks so much for your help puppet planet

skeet

puppet builder

Reaction score
Puppet Clothes

Howdy,

Anything size 3T to 6 oftentimes can be easily altered for hand-rod puppet clothes and are affordable. Beyond that, I build the specialty clothing.

Good Luck!
pb

puppets_etc

Reaction score
I normally go to 2nd hand/thrift shops and go thru the baby/toddler clothes. For glasses and hats n whatnots, after halloween sales are great!:excited:
Deb