Film Production

Yahnke

Reaction score
Hey Buck, or anyone else out there who has produced their own puppet or television shows before, I am actively involved with ministry but our church is small and our synod is small and lack funds and ambitionn to try new mthods of ministry. I have an idea for childrens ministry that could work, but i will have to do it all on my own....

what are the tools i need to make a decent quality video . I will use any comuter program to edit. What kind of camera do i use, 8mm....etc. please help me out. I know poeple go to school for this stuff but that is not an optionfor me right now. Appreciate it. Thanks

zoetrope

Reaction score
General advice

Others can give you better specific advice, but I worked for years in film and video production, and also studied the subject in college, so here's my general advice.

1) Equipment comes and goes, but whether you're using a super-8 camera or the latest greatest digital video, one thing remains the same. Planning. You have to plan things out before you even touch a camera. The time honored way of doing this is with story boarding. Of course, you'll want a treatment/story outline and a script. But after these are done, you need to visualize the project, and a story board forces you to do this on a shot by shot basis, so when it comes time to shoot, you don't waste time. You will know exactly what you need to shoot, and can plan out the order in which you shoot it. Films and videos are generally not shot in sequence. You'll do your close ups of character A all at the same time. Then close ups of character B. Then all the shots of A and B on the couch. Then all the shots of A and B at the store. Whatever, you get the point. Planning. Planning. Planning. Look on the web for some examples of story boards to get an idea of the level of detail needed.

2) Can I just mention planning one more time? Thanks.

3) Too often beginners concentrate on image to the exclusion of sound. Go to your local amatuer film festival and you'll be bending your ear to make out the muddy sounding dialog. Do not rely on the builtin mic on your camera. Plan on getting some kind of external mic that can be pinned to your puppeteers. The sound will be 100 times better.

4) Editing. There are many programs on the market that allow editing of video on the computer. You'll need a large hard drive (or 2) to store all the video clips you are editing. You'll need a video card that has an input for the video from your camera, or some other way of transfering the video to the computer. Then you need to understand the basics of editing. This is an art form, and you can learn some things from trial and error, but you'll save yourself some agony by reading the editing chapter in a basic filmmaking book. For example, you don't necessarily cut the sound and image at the same time, you might cut to a reaction shot of B while A is talking. This should have been planned out before you started shooting, using your story board. Once more, planning crops it's beautiful head.

5) If what I've said above discourages you from just going for it, disregard and go for it. You'll learn a lot from just doing. But you'll save yourself lots of wasted time by planning, so the choice is yours. It is possible to just set up a camera with a simple 2 shot and have A and B talking, then use that without even editing. It will be kind of boring, but it can be done. Much of the early Henson stuff was done with a single camera angle, and this can work if your action is dynamic enough. Henson had the advantage of being a genius and of working with some highly talented people. But if you watch the sesame street segments, say an Ernie and Bert routine, there is generally a bit of editing going on, and it adds a nice rhythm to these otherwise flawless pieces. It's all a question of how much time you have and how professional you want the finished product to look.

6) Did I mention planning yet? I really should mention it at some point.

7) As far as equipment goes, you don't need the best, but get the best you can afford.

I hope that helps, and look forward to hearing what the others here have to say.

zoetrope

Reaction score

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I agree with what Zoetrope was saying....especially about not getting hung up on quality early on BUT I would suggest at a minimum shooting on Mini-DV if that's even remotely possible - . Hi-8 is not a bad format and served me well for years, but it's a little outdated these days. Don't use Digital-8, 8mm, or those DVD cameras an electronics store will try to sell you if you can help it.

I'm shooting Bear Town on one of Cannon's ZR series camcorders and I really recommend them if you're on a tight budget. They seem to be pretty rugged and reliable and Cannon is known for their superior optics. Mine cost me $700 Cdn when I got it but I've seen some models in the US for as little as $350 (US).

Invest in a good stereo mic (check to make sure it's stereo). These aren't expensive either and cheaper ones can be had for $40 dollars or so.

Don't go crazy with all the fancy digital effects they build in to every camcorder now. Shoot "straight" video - no effects and use the white balance/AE features. Effects can be added in post-production and you'll have a wider variety to choose from in most cases. I'd also recommend turning off the digital zoom and auto-exposure unless you really need it - those are two features that can really mess up the quality of your video if they're used improperly.

Editing video is a snap on PC's now - both the Mac OS and Windows XP come with video editing software built-in (FinalCut Express on Mac, Moviemaker on XP) and if you don't already have a Firewire card (which is used to capture video) those are extremely cheap too now. Most firewire PC cards come packaged with one of Ulead video editing programs. They're a little primative but can get the job done. I recently downloaded Windows Moviemaker 2 (available through Windows Update if you have WinXP) and it's OK if you want to do some basic editing and can't afford any software - it's free as long as you have Windows XP Home or Professional.

A good article to check out for inspiration is (Spy Kids / El Mariachi director) Robert Rodriguez's 10 Minute Film School. There's a copy of it available at http://www.macalester.edu/~fines/filmschl/ and it also comes as a DVD extra with many of his movies. His book Rebel Without A Crew is great if you're getting started in film/video because it's a very encouraging read. It's been out for a few years, but most bookstores still carry it.

BTW, I'm making these recommendations based on Yahnke's specific situation (low budget, limited experience) so please nobody jump all over this. There's certainly much better equipment and software out there than what I've described (most of it for the Mac), but it's unaffordable for a lot of people.

Beebers

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
BTW, I'm making these recommendations based on Beebers specific situation
It wasn't me, but all good links and advice anyway, for anyone getting into filming and editing. LOLxox.

:big_grin: :smile: :big_grin:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Beebers, Yahnke, `ya all look like to me. :wink: :zany:

Sorry my mistake :embarrassed:

Yahnke

Reaction score
Thanks you very much! Your advice and encouragement is great! If anyone else has tips or links they want to share-please throw them on here.